Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a red 5 door HighUP! last nite on the A666 going into Bolton pulling a very small trailer and it had a washing machine in it. The UP! was full to the roof of stuff so maybe the owner was moving house!!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Haha did it have a sun roof and 62 reg? I think I've seen it well I've seen 2 round this area daily, I'm going to keep an wye open for this tow bar!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yes they can, and yes they are allowed to.
this firm has developed an approved towbar
It is approved for towing up to 750kg if the trailer has brakes on it, or 500kg if it doesn't.Edited by: Mulo

·
Registered
121 Posts
Mulo said:
Yes they can, and yes they are allowed to.
this firmhas developed an approved towbar
It is approved for towing up to 750kg if the trailer has brakes on it, or 500kg if it doesn't.
It may vary between countries; in the UK the manual explicitly states that the Up is not allowed to be fitted with a towbar. Not sure what basis this is on? Just an importer preference?

However, given that type approval is EU-wide then I can't really see what VOSA would be able to complain about if a proper E-marked bar was fitted?

·
Registered
583 Posts
juux said:
It may vary between countries; in the UK the manual explicitly states that the Up is not allowed to be fitted with a towbar.
Over here we need to have our cars officially checked when installing a hitch.
The paperwork gets inspected, and you can tow with it ...

There's a company with an E-approved hitch, so any other EU member state has to allow it.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Well I can't coment on the up, but I know some BMW ED Modelsare not allowed to tow because they have weight saving mesures, This could be the case with the Up! too

·
Registered
121 Posts
Ian986 said:
Well I can't coment on the up, but I know some BMW ED Modelsare not allowed to tow because they have weight saving mesures, This could be the case with the Up! too

I'd be very surprised if there were any mechanical or structural differences between Ups sold in Denmark and the UK or any other EU market though.

I think more likely VW haven't/won't be developing their own tow bar so will not specify any load limits etc.

That doesn't stop other manufacturers doing so though, so long as they comply with the regs I can't see any issue apart from VW perhaps being able to wriggle out of warranty claims if, for instance, you had an engine/transmission fault and they claimed it was related to the additional load imposed by towing.

·
Registered
142 Posts
juux said:
Ian986 said:

I'd be very surprised if there were any mechanical or structural differences between Ups sold in Denmark and the UK or any other EU market though.

I think more likely VW haven't/won't be developing their own tow bar so will not specify any load limits etc.

That doesn't stop other manufacturers doing so though, so long as they comply with the regs I can't see any issue apart from VW perhaps being able to wriggle out of warranty claims if, for instance, you had an engine/transmission fault and they claimed it was related to the additional load imposed by towing.
I was going to say the same, warranty would probley be a massave issue if tow bar fitted due to overload on engine and box, any reason to avoid a expensive cost when you have ignored owners manual.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I don't know if this is right but could it be something to do with the road tax in the UK? The low tax probably only covers the car alone. I am only guessing!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Beevee said:
I don't know if this is right but could it be something to do with the road tax in the UK? The low tax probably only covers the car alone. I am only guessing!

Nah, road tax only considers the car and trim level, insofar as it affects the vehicle itself and it's efficiency (engine, tyre/wheel choice etc.), not anything that might put in, attach to the car or we might do with it after purchase.

If I was charged road tax based on how much CO2 my Up actually produces then I suspect I'd be paying a lot more than the £20 I am now!

·
Super Moderator
1,492 Posts
The up! is NOT plated for towing. Regardless of the Approval situation regarding the towbar and it's manufacturer, the vehicle itself is not legal to tow.

THAT is what VOSA will prosecute you for if stopped, because it is UK towing law that we are referring to.

·
Registered
121 Posts
shakotanVIP said:
The up! is NOT plated for towing. Regardless of the Approval situation regarding the towbar and it's manufacturer, the vehicle itself is not legal to tow.

THAT is what VOSA will prosecute you for if stopped, because it is UK towing law that we are referring to.

Thanks, based on this thread I've done some digging to educate myself a bit more in these matters.

My better half has the Up today so I can't take a picture, but if I get a chance I will post a pic (suitably redacted, naturally) showing the detail on the VIN plate (train weight, I believe) that relates to tow bar legality to help future readers.

Suffice to say I willnot be fitting a tow bar to an Up in the UK or anywhere else!

Every day's a school day etc. :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
you could also change gear every time at 7000 revs, but it eventually will give up.

·
Registered
583 Posts
MVG are supposedly putting out a removeable towing hitch for the up! / Mii / Citigo later this month.

Specs are rumoured to be :
- removeable hitch
- 50kg hitch load
- 800kg towing weight (braked trailer, obviously)
- interruptor for the parking sensors when towing
(misterdotcom.de disables them altogether, permanently)

When these systems are E-approved, every EU member state has to allow the use of them. Check with your MOT station though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts