Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a Mii Sport and I've just bought a set of winter tyres on steel wheels from MyTyres. We're reasonably remote in Sussex with the kids' school a few miles down a country road. I want to make sure the car is as safe as possible on those muddy roads/icy mornings and that we're still mobile when it snows.

So I wondered if people have opinions on the cosmetic angle - i.e. should I not bother with wheel trims? The steel wheels are black so they should go reasonably well with the red of the car (a bit like the Vibora Negra look :) ). But they do have a couple of wheel weights on them which spoil it a little. If I got silver wheel trims then the black of the wheels might show quite a lot behind them. Would black wheel trims look okay or a bit cheap? Aftermarket wheel trims or OEM Seat?

The up! accessories brochure seems a lot more helpful in this respect than the Mii accessories brochure.

Any opinions welcomed!

Thanks

·
Registered
705 Posts
It will be much easier to clean them of the salt and grime if they are left uncovered.

Nick

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I reckon you should put some of thise plastic chrome spinners on it!!

·
Registered
265 Posts
You could maybe get the weights taken off the front and remounted on the back

Edited by: bazves

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
O paint the weights black to mingle in with the steeleys

·
Registered
587 Posts
Zigster said:
I've got a Mii Sport and I've just bought a set of winter tyres on steel wheels from MyTyres. We're reasonably remote in Sussex with the kids' school a few miles down a country road. I want to make sure the car is as safe as possible on those muddy roads/icy mornings and that we're still mobile when it snows.

So I wondered if people have opinions on the cosmetic angle - i.e. should I not bother with wheel trims? The steel wheels are black so they should go reasonably well with the red of the car (a bit like the Vibora Negra look :) ). But they do have a couple of wheel weights on them which spoil it a little. If I got silver wheel trims then the black of the wheels might show quite a lot behind them. Would black wheel trims look okay or a bit cheap? Aftermarket wheel trims or OEM Seat?

The up! accessories brochure seems a lot more helpful in this respect than the Mii accessories brochure.

Any opinions welcomed!

Thanks

Paint the weight black with someenamelpaint and buy the centre caps that come as standard on the Mii S with steel wheels at £15 each.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I think I'll get some black enamel paint to sort out those wheel weights and then get the black Seat centre caps - I reckon that will look pretty good and be easy to keep the wheels clean too.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Zigster said:
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I think I'll get some black enamel paint to sort out those wheel weights and then get the black Seat centre caps - I reckon that will look pretty good and be easy to keep the wheels clean too.
Remember, whatever you do, we need pics!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Does anyone know the part number for the centre caps? Zigster do you have any pics of your wheels from my tyres?

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Zigster, I know this is a bit late, but how did you find the Mii Sport on 14" steel wheels? I should be getting a new 3dr in Tornado Red within the next couple of weeks (waiting for it to arrive at the dealer currently).
What make of tyres did you go for? Did you get 165 70 14 tyres. What speed & load rating are they?
Sorry for all the questions, but I am trying to do my shopping before the winter rush!!!

Edited by: mii al

·
Registered
222 Posts
I wouldn't bother with trims for winter wheels. Silver with the black plastic caps looks good on the red one.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Heartagram said:
I wouldn't bother with trims for winter wheels. Silver with the black plastic caps looks good on the red one. 
All the winter wheel / tyre sets I have seen are with black wheels so it probably will be cheaper to get trims than the silver wheels with centre caps.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll be putting my winter wheels back on in 6-8 weeks (maybe earlier if it keeps getting colder at this rate!). I'll take photos then and post them.

I went for Nokian W+ from my-tyres on black steel wheels (and I used the basic Seat Mii hub caps which just cover the bolts - I thought it look pretty cool in a utilitarian way). The tyres are 175/65 R14 82T.

The Mii was great last winter with the winter tyres - we had bad snow a few times and there is one steep, semi-private road near me with some great sledging from a field at the top. We put the sledge in the boot, all the family in the Mii and drove up the road - the only other car moving was some jacked-up L200 with massive wheels!

Another day, the only kids at my kids school (after unexpectedly heavy snow) were mine and the children of thosewith proper, Landrover-type 4x4s. They all assumed I had come in my Volvo SUV wand were amazed to see the Mii in the school car park!

The only time I had a problem was one day when there a jam ahead of me caused by (presumably) non winter-tyred cars which couldn't get up a hill.

I know we all coped without them in past years, but I think winter tyres are a great safety measure which gives piece of mind for very little additional cost. Mine are hanging on hooks on the garage wall so aren't even in the way through the rest of the year. It takes me about an hour to swap them over - and would be less if I didn't make a point of giving each removed wheel a good clean before hanging them in the garage.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Thanks for your info. I have a set of winter wheels in the garage for our Mondeo so was looking to double up & get some for the new Mii.

When I took the winter alloy wheels off the Mondeo in Feb 2012 I forgot to clean them & when I tried to put them on in November the weights had all corroded so when I took them off this Feb they had a thorough clean!!!!

The Mrs has vetoed paying extra for full trims so currently deciding between black or silver wheels.

Were the my-tyres tyres well balanced or did then need redoing?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Balanced. I just bolted them on and drove!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Zigster said:
Balanced. I just bolted them on and drove!
Sounds good. Due to transporter delay, I won't get my car until Monday. Then I'll order my wheels. Just got to decide Continental or Michelin.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quick update to this thread. I put my winter wheels back on at the weekend - here are some before and after shots. Sorry the shots are a little blurrier than I was expecting.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Zigster, like you I have gone for black wheels with centre caps. Apart from ours being a 3 door it looks identical to yours.
I went for 175 65 14 Continental TS800 tyres & have been happy with them. Slightly softer ride than with the factory 15" alloys.
We just need some snow now.

·
Registered
58 Posts
You need a set of those VW wheel bags, genuine and only about £25

1 - 20 of 28 Posts