Up Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find a useable grommet in the firewall to run a power cable through for an amplifier. I would rather not drill through the firewall as I'm not very experienced with this, but I still would like to do it myself rather than go to a pro.

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
You need to remove the passenger side black trim underneath the windscreen, which hides the wiper mech and strut top access. You note from the wire routing from the live side of the battery that the loom runs into this area, and from then into the cabin.

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
Further research shows a usable grommet just next to the fresh air intake for the air-con/heater blower.

Open the bonnet, remove the scuttle trim on the passenger side.

To the right of the air intake is a domed area, which will be body coloured (Candy White in my case), if you prod it, you'll find it's a rubber grommet...

...which you find enters into the cabin behind the dash. If you look up from the passenger footwell to behind the dash, the grommet is behind the sound insulation, pretty much halfway between the two securing 'buttons', where I'm shining the torch.

There's no need to remove anything here, if you feed your power wire in from the engine bay, you'll be able to get your fingers behind the insulation and find the end of the wire no problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that's brilliant thanks very much!
I tried to remove the scuttle trim earlier today, only had a few minutes to fiddle around. I couldn't work out how to remove it! Are there any clips/catches underneath?

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
Starting from the middle of the car, just gentle pull it upwards, it locates into a plastic channel thats fixed to the bottom of the wind. Then when you get to the end that wraps up around the side of the windscreen, dont pull that upward, instead pull that towards you, so it slides out of the recesses in the wing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to bump up and old post, I have actually just registered on the forum.

I am a radio amateur looking to install a ham radio rig in my VW UP and I came across this forum. Unfortunately, the photos are no longer here. Could someone help me?

·
Registered
1 Posts
dsm88 said:
Sorry to bump up and old post, I have actually just registered on the forum.

I am a radio amateur looking to install a ham radio rig in my VW UP and I came across this forum. Unfortunately, the photos are no longer here. Could someone help me?

Hello dsm88, I am in the same position (radio HAM) and have a Skoda Citigo. I am halfway through mounting the radio in the car - few things left, mainly running power.

I shall refer to this post:

http://www.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/how-to-run-wires-through-the-up_topic2701.html

Did you ever get this done on your car?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts