Up Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I the only one that tries to put 6th gear on, haven't seen anybody else whining about it? I am continously trying to do this in my few days old up!, resulting a very bad sound from the gear box. My two last cars both had 6 gears so this is in blood for me. Sooner or later I will break the gear box by doing this.
This is so far the only nag I found otherwise so fantastic car.Does anybody know a good solution to correct this, other than ASG or amputation of my hand?

-eelis-

Edited by: -eelis-

·
Registered
957 Posts
You can't blame the car for that but good to hear you are pleased with it.
Try not putting it in 6th (that isn't there) !Edited by: Derkie54

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Derkie54You are right, I can't blame the car for that, but I blame the car for not having an inhibit for doing that.
What I mean is, there should be some sort of button or ring on the gear stick which prevents using reverse gear by mistake or habit. Other two cars I owned (both VWs) had inhibit to put reverse on, you had to push the stick downwards before you could engage reverse.

-eelis-

Edited by: -eelis-

·
Registered
30 Posts
I used to change from 4th to 6th in my Golf and was constantly trying to do this when I first got my Up
It does make an interesting noise, but hasn't done any lasting harm. You will soon get used to just having a 5 speed!

·
Registered
241 Posts
You are right in saying it needs a inhibit,that said you will get used to it.
Our problem is we still have a 6spd.vw which is used in & out with up,this does cause the odd happening even after 18 months.The other problem is the position of reverse compared to say the previous Lupo.It has been a noisy learning curve.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I did this a lot at first! It's ok now though. The worst bit is that our Beetle is also 5 speed but reverse is top left not bottom right! Lots of confusion there!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I've not tried to put it into reverse but I do have to keep reminding myself that 6th isn't there.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Having driven vehicles with six-speed gearboxes in the past, I found that it took a little adjustment going back to a vehicle with five gears. Don't worry, though, you'll get used it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Why don't you buy an VW UP! simulator - you can then try and master that the vehicle has only 5 gears - how long does it take to sink in ???????????? Or take someone with you,thatcan count up to 5
LOL............

1 - 12 of 12 Posts