Up Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been meaning to ask this for a while. Did anyone own an up TSI before the GTI? I did and I was expecting a lot more power with the GTI, in the first 2-3 gears it doesn’t feel any different , I only really notice in 4th, 5th and 6th gear where it pulls stronger

·
Registered
276 Posts
Been meaning to ask this for a while. Did anyone own an up TSI before the GTI? I did and I was expecting a lot more power with the GTI, in the first 2-3 gears it doesn’t feel any different , I only really notice in 4th, 5th and 6th gear where it pulls stronger
There’s a lot more to a GTI than just the numbers though......

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I owned one before my Gti, and the wife has still got one. In reality there's not much difference in performance, the Tsi's 5 speed against the GTi's 6 speed is where the thing "feels" different, but they're both high geared. The GTi doesn't run out of puff quite so quick, but in practice there's hardly a sniff between them. Tsi's are thought to have more like 105 bhp too (tests done when they first came out), and I wouldn't argue. The Gti feels as if it's pulling stronger in the higher gears, because of the ratios.
The Gti wins out in the cache stakes, no doubt, but the Tsi is a calmer place to be. Both great cars.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I own a TSi, driven a GTi, very close, and yes, the GTi gets the glory and the looks. TSi more of a cruiser, GTi you really need to be exploring the last 10% to feel the love, but both nice. I've surprised the odd GTi that I caught napping 🤣
Buying now, no choice, TSi no longer available, and nice low mileage TSi's now sort after as cheaper GTi alternatives
Either way you won't be disappointed

·
Registered
276 Posts
One of the lucky ones. Once lockdown is over anc I can get out in the car with them I’ll demonstrate the noise
Tommus I’m a wee bit old school... If I have a noise in a car and I really am fussy when it comes to things like that I would rather trace and fix myself rather than leave it to the dealers. With dealers we may get good bad or indifferent but if we are able then we have a better chance of success... I’m happy to have spanner in my hands and it’s no hardship.... I actually enjoy getting to the bottom of things like I hear reported here ..

I’ve not used my car very much since purchasing it in December last. So my plans to change wheels suspension and so on haven’t been that important. Lockdown is the big factor of course.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tommus I’m a wee bit old school... If I have a noise in a car and I really am fussy when it comes to things like that I would rather trace and fix myself rather than leave it to the dealers. With dealers we may get good bad or indifferent but if we are able then we have a better chance of success... I’m happy to have spanner in my hands and it’s no hardship.... I actually enjoy getting to the bottom of things like I hear reported here ..

I’ve not used my car very much since purchasing it in December last. So my plans to change wheels suspension and so on haven’t been that important. Lockdown is the big factor of course.
I’d have no idea what to do re the rear suspension and I don’t want to go down the route of replacing various suspension parts at my cost. I have no ideas of how to fit anything to a car. If the noise shouldn’t be there then I’ll just keep pushing the dealer and vw to sort it.
To me seems to me they use various different suspension parts rather than one standard on every car so some have noise, others don’t

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The tsi is a lovely car and in some ways a better car for those like my missus who are not interested in the performance, and would never go near the limits.
The tsi rides better and if you get a remap it can deliver as much power as the GTi, should you wish it.
Obviously l would still take a GTi but as said above both cars are great.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I’d have no idea what to do re the rear suspension and I don’t want to go down the route of replacing various suspension parts at my cost. I have no ideas of how to fit anything to a car. If the noise shouldn’t be there then I’ll just keep pushing the dealer and vw to sort it.
To me seems to me they use various different suspension parts rather than one standard on every car so some have noise, others don’t
It may seem like that to you, but it isn't the case I can assure you. All car manufacturers have ISO standards to adhere to, any changes during the build of any particular model have to be agreed by Engineering Department (and other Depts) internally, more than likely trialled, documented and recorded as being implemented from a particular chassis number, that's the only way they can trace issues that may go wrong, or they change for any other reason.
There are far more "good" cars out there than seemingly bad ones. The "bad" percentage will be very low. Mine has been absolutely faultless in 19 months and 15000 miles.
You've been unlucky in that you may have a car that's not quite right, but don't worry, the Covid has delayed getting things put right under warranty, but hopefully soon it will get back to more like normal and you'll be able to get something done about it.
I have a strong feeling that it's not the suspension at all, but rather a floppy, not properly secured, or mis-assembled panel joint.
I would phone the dealer, and ask for the Service Manager's email address, then email him / her with a good, true description of the fault(s). Then you have a record of having complained about it. Ask them to acknowledge receipt of the email, and that you'd like to discuss / demonstrate the fault at the earliest opportunity. If you've already spoken to them about it, include that fact, and the date in your email. Once they've replied, you have pukka proof of your issue and the fact that you've brought it to their attention during the warranty period.
My experience of my Local VW Dealer (s) has been very good (a small problem on each of two previous 75bhp Up's) which were sorted quickly and effectively, and never gave a problem thereafter.
I'm obviously sure that they're not all good, but give them a chance to fix it or say no, then that's the time to get tough with them.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Sensible stuff from 911ts3....
I have been following this noise thing for a while on the forum, and what strikes me is that "noisy rear end" issues seem to be unique to GTi models, as has so far been reported - am I wrong? I can practically drift my measly 75ps model on roads with surfaces that look the moon and it is admirably quiet, considering, and only a minority of GTi owners seem to have a rear noise problem. But "the problem" is not the same in all cases, as far as I can tell. Some talk of logs rolling, some talk of bangs and clunks and so on....

I suspect it is therefore not a design issue, and likely not a batch of bad parts. More likely several different faults, each explaining a particular noise... Could be protection panels, exhausts, tyres, subframe bushes - lots of things....

This will get easier to sort, post-lockdown I hope, but my point is there is no generic issue here, based on a few cars that are doing something weird, nor should the owners be fobbed off by dealers saying "them all like that, innit"....

·
Registered
480 Posts
No it's a very well built car far exceeding my expectations and that's a typical dealer fob off when they say they all do that sir...

I have had cars with issues in the past to the point of you end up hating the thing! So I do sympathise with anyone who has had issues but I do think the majority of them are great cars 😻

·
Registered
276 Posts
Re this noise thing. On forums we tend to hear about the bad seldom the good.... Though to be fair on this forum it’s a little more balanced and the GTI gets great reviews. But obviously there are some issues.... Due to the covid situation a haven’t been able to start taking my car apart. That and the fact my garage has other cars in and it’s to cold to work under our carport. I look forward to stripping the suspension out and only after doing that will I personally will have better clues and information.
What I can say after very limited use of a firmly set up car over the very poor road services here in the Teme Valley is there no noises at all or untoward behaviour from the standard suspension set up...

This is after all a small lightweight very firmly set up GTI so we’re never going to get a Rolls Royce ride abs silence. I’m more than happy with what I have but I’m an enthusiast so fiddle and change I will... 👍👍

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
I have just changed to a brand new Gti from my 4 year old Tsi. I did 40k in the Tsi and so far have done 400 miles in the Gti, so my comparison may change with more time.
Probably important to note my Tsi was the High Up spec running an APR map (143 bhp + 190 lb's ft) on Michelin Cross Climates. So it was nippy and extremely comfortable.

In terms of acceleration and power the Gti doesn't really feel a world apart, in reality it's between 1 - 2 seconds slower to 60. I guess a combination of firmer suspension, the sound aktor (?) and the vastly different gear ratios make it feel as fast. Speaking of the gear ratios, the Tsi was a 3rd gear car, you will know yourself you can drive from 20mph to almost 100mph in 3rd gear, also it didn't really like being in 4th at 30mph. The Gti wants to be in at least one gear higher and is a 4th gear car and it's even quite happy in 5th at 30mph. As you have said it pulls harder in the upper gears but where the Tsi would pull 140mph on a dyno in 4th, I feel this would need 6th.

Having not had chance to test drive a Gti due to the obvious I was expecting a harsh ride, the piped in sound to be annoying and the OEM tyres to be ditchfinders. None of this is true. The ride is firmer for sure but it's still compliant. Just tweaked the tyres pressures to 30 up front and 28 at the back and no complaints. The piped in sound makes me smile and brings out the inner hooligan and the tyres have given me no cause for complaint. I'm not comparing them to Cross Climates but other tyres I've had on much more powerful FWD cars in the past. The car is so light and corners so well I think at set of 888's would have it on it's roof!

The Beats audio upgrade fitted is a bit better than the standard audio in the Tsi. Stop/Start is a new feature to me, I like that one. Lane Assist - the one feature of the car I would do away with permanently if I could. Auto lights and wipers a nice extra over the Tsi too.

Handling and braking is where the Gti really is way ahead of the Tsi. The brakes are the same size (possible the same parts) as the Fabia Vrs I had in 2005 which was a 1300kg nose heavy diesel and they were up to stopping that. (Until the modding really began, blimmin internet forums and wallet emptying ideas!) Cornering is flatter and faster, I can most definitely carry more speed down my local lanes and despite less power I'm certain I'd leave my old car standing from A to B.

I loved every single mile in my Tsi, including a trip from the north of England to Berlin and Auchwitz (and back of course) one winter and I was sad to see it go. What an amazing little car which was a bargain new at £12600. However I am looking forward even more to the smiles and miles in the Gti, not so much of a bargain these days after a massive price hike....or is it? We could have all chosen something else at today's prices but we all chose an amazing fun little car brimming with character and one in which you can use all of the power most of the time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts