Up Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Up is a quality bit of kit in the main, so why is it lumbered with such a muddy, low quality audio system?

I'm not expecting miracles for under 10 grand, but considering the generally decent Maps & More system and the quality of the mechanics, it's a shame that VW have either scrimped here, or (more likely) employed people who don't actually care about the sound these things produce.

The Panda my Up replaces (list price in 2010: £4,995, or about 50% of the price of the Up) was actually a very pleasant thing to listen to.

My Touran had an RCD510 and this too was pretty mediocre in terms of sound quality so maybe I shouldn't be surprised. I've been in recent Audis which have decent systems though so it's not as if VAG are incapable of doing the business.

I'm also sure that a recent Golf hire car had a similar/the same head unit as my Up and I don't recall it being nearly as bad, so maybe it's the speakers fitted to the little car that are at fault.

Anyone changed their speakers? Much improvement?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Perfectly happy with the sound system. I use it for background music and information. If I want to be entertained I go to a concert.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I find the sound is perfect, I have the optional sound upgrade which adds rear speakers. I had a custom sound system in my previous golf and the up! Sounds **** of a lot better and I spent hundreds if not thousands on my golf

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Beevee said:
Perfectly happy with the sound system. I use it for background music and information. If I want to be entertained I go to a concert.

That's one way of looking at it, but the other is that if I'm taking it to the office I'm spending 1-2 hours in the thing so it can become quite grating. Whether music or speech I like to be able to listen and enjoy, rather than just be aware of some vague approximation of what is being transmitted!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Itzben said:
I find the sound is perfect, I have the optional sound upgrade which adds rear speakers. I had a custom sound system in my previous golf and the up! Sounds **** of a lot better and I spent hundreds if not thousands on my golf

Maybe that's what I'm missing then. Shame it takes an upgrade to make it do what it should!

·
Registered
811 Posts
I'm quite happy with my standard system, I spend a couple of hours a day on average listening to the radio and I don't have any complaints. My last car was a Focus and I actually think that the VW system is better than that.

I do miss the steering wheel volume control though.
Edited by: Allybasher

1 - 6 of 6 Posts