Up Owners Club banner

Turning the sound off

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Davec86 
#1 ·
Yesterday tried the get me home feature on the new satnav ,the wife wanted to do a diversion on the way . fineI thought . so I tried to turn the bloke off is there a way to do it, aswhen going into any other menu he was still rabbiting on.In theend I had to turn the whole thing off. Thats one thing the other is when he says "do you want to start navigation" what are the options here ,ashavenot been able to fathom it out a yes or no option and what to do, trouble is I,m old.!!!!!!!

See less See more
#7 ·
shakotanVIP said:
spud said:
But get someone else to do it because it is illegal to operate sat navigation while driving

Please cite the relevant Legislation including Section, which prohibits this.

Any activity within a vehicle deemed by a officer to be causing'dangerous driving' or 'not driving with due care and attention' will be illegal.

#8 ·
Same laws that cover mobile phone use
It also says something similar when you start a navigation system unless you pressed "do not show this again"

Also covers operating in car entertainment eating drinking lighting up a cigarette, almost anything except two way radio they are allowed (so the police are ok) Edited by: spud

#10 ·
It's not cited as a specific, however it would be covered by s3 Road Traffic Act 1988, (as amended by Road Traffic Act 1991), headed careless and inconsiderate driving - essentially driving without due care and attention.
It's not, in essence, illegal to use your sat nav, however, if through doing so your attention is significantly diverted from the control of your vehicle, which in most cases I'd argue it would be, then you may well be guilty of said offence.
Also, just as a note, although police radios can technically be used, you are taught not to use them unless necessary, as like most things when driving it causes a distraction.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.