Up Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I’m looking to put some Michelin pilot super sports on my GTI, in terms of size they’ll have a 205 width with a 45 profile, so a bit bigger than what comes standard, just wondering if anyone else has got a larger size tyre and what it’s like, both looks and performance.

Any opinion is helpful, thanks in advance!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I changed to 205/45/17's within a week of getting ours and the handling is brilliant looks good too! With the added benefit of more protection for the diamond cut wheels

·
Registered
603 Posts
Ive been told by National Tyres, that the widest section tyre i can safely put on my Gti, is a 215 tyre.
If you notice, there is quite a bit of clearance under the arches of the Gti, so a 205/45/17 tyre would be a good option.
Michelin tyres are excellent, but my favourite would be either a Continental or a Bridgestone Potenza 205 or 215/45/17.

You would not really need spacers, but personally i would go down the 215 tyre alternative, but 205 will also be a good choice.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you alter the tyre profile from 40 to 45 won’t it alter the overall car gearing,because the diameter will be larger.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I changed to 205/45/17's within a week of getting ours and the handling is brilliant looks good too! With the added benefit of more protection for the diamond cut wheels
Cheers mate, definitely going to get that sorted soon then!

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you alter the tyre profile from 40 to 45 won’t it alter the overall car gearing,because the diameter will be larger.
Yes. The diameter is over 1 inch greater,nearly 3 mph at 70 mph.
Will they fit .com is a good website to check different wheel sizes.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Really sorry just realised its 205/40/17 Dunlop RT2's I have its 205/45's on my other car....

I remember doing the calculations and in the size I fitted it would make the speedo out by something 1.6mph at top speed so basically nothing but they are a touch bigger in diameter which looks good and fills a bit of arch gap!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts