Up Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would be interested to know what you do about tyre pressures. Do you set them for two people,four people, somewhere in between or keep changing them to suit the load?

·
Registered
114 Posts
In practise, I keep them to 2.4 no matter how many people are in the car. So for most cases it might be a bit too high, but it will give me slightly better fuel efficiency. I am alone in the car for 75% of the time anyway.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Just set the pressures to the value corresponding to the load you normally have in the car. I usually set my tyres for two people - this value is valid for 99% of my motoring.

If I were going a longer journey, with one passenger and lots of luggage, I would perhaps change the pressures to that indicated for four people. I wouldn't change the pressures if I occasionally travelled a relatively short distance with a heavy load though; it's not really worth the effort.

The idea is, of course, to check regularly that the tyres are at the recommended settings appropriate for your use of the car.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Y-Mii said:
In practise, I keep them to 2.4 no matter how many people are in the car. So for most cases it might be a bit too high, but it will give me slightly better fuel efficiency. I am alone in the car for 75% of the time anyway.
I wouldn't suggest to inflate so much, because tires are outworn more in the middle, than in sides. Also the grip is less and may cause longer braking!I'm inflating 0.1 bar more than mentioned for two persons.

·
Registered
217 Posts
b82ry said:
Y-Mii said:
I wouldn't suggest to inflate so much, because tires are outworn more in the middle, than in sides. Also the grip is less and may cause longer braking!I'm inflating 0.1 bar more than mentioned for two persons.

All 4 tires with same pressure? Would be useful to throw the suggested numbers in to this thread fo those of us who don't like going to the manual every time I forget the correct pressures :)

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The correct tyre pressures are printed on the fuel filler cap. Luckyjimmy seems to have a sensible approach. My problem is that approximately every three days or so I have a full load and the rest of the time I am on my own. A garage technician suggested setting the pressures midway between the two but that means they are never correct.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Just connect 4 straws to the tyres, and lead each of them to the four windows. Whoever sits in their seat, has to blow in the straw to compensate for their weight! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts