Up Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Parked up yesterday and was horrified to find that Bob the builder had been there and left loads of nails and screws on the ground. Visited my local tyre centre this morning for a check over and was told that every wheel was six pounds under pressure. I told the fitter that last weekend I had visited the garage and as always all four tyres were within a pound of the correct pressure. He told me that garage air centres were notoriously inaccurate. Has anybody else found the same?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Used to have my own little digital gauge, but kept going faulty, got an old fashioned manual type gaugeon ebay (Chrome pen style gauge) it wasstamped Rover, made in England! and was only about £2.50, very accurate.

·
Registered
28 Posts
ALso use my own manual gauge but also got an electric pump with a digital gauge so belt and braces job. I find tyre pressure makes a big difference to the way the car handles.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I use the filling stations' compressed air.

If the gauges are really off, then they're all off by the same amount, which is rather unlikely.
The errors I get are down to the smallest variation the digital dials can show (0.1 bar).

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
_1S_ said:
I use the filling stations' compressed air.

If the gauges are really off, then they're all off by the same amount, which is rather unlikely.
The errors I get are down to the smallest variation the digital dials can show (0.1 bar).
I don't understand what you are saying. All I would suggest is that after using the garage to inflate your tyres you independently check the tyres are at the right pressure. It may be that the garage compressed air machines are not regularly calibrated. I had a similar problem with tyre balancing at a tyre place after three attempts at balancing I had to go to the BMW dealer to get them properly balanced.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I used to use the garages to do the tyres. but found that they were not accurate... some where way off, and some even charge you to use them...So i got myself a compressor and separate gauge. I plumped for the Ring Automotive RAC600 Compressor. which is great. set the pressure you want hit the start button and off it goes and stops when it reaches that set pressure. and got a Draper Analogue pressure gauge, very accurate. I know this as a friend works in a calibration Lab.. he took it in and checked it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts