Up Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Up went in for its 2nd (30,000km) service today, and the tech advised me that my tyres will need replacing within the next 5,000kms.I'm rolling on the original 14"steel wheels and165/70/R14BridgestoneEcopia's.I've never actually owned a car long enough to wear out a set of new tyres, but a 35,000km lifespan sounds much shorter than expected so I'm skeptical.

I keep them inflated to 32psi and I usually check the pressurefortnightly. I had the tyres rotated for the first timeduringthe service and Ihaven'tdone a wheel rotation yet. The tread wear looks pretty even on all tyres.

Here's the tread depth according tothe service report at 15,000kms: FL 3.9, FR 4.0, RL 5.6, RR 5.9 and spare 6.5

and at 30,000kms: FL 2, FR 2, RL 1, RR 2 and spare 5

Amazingly, my spare tyre has apparently lost 1.5mm of tread despite not being used in the last 15,000kms!
I suspect themeasurements weren't entirely accurate this time around, so I'm going to buy a tread gauge tomorrow and check for myself.

Now I'm curious, what tyre life have you guys & gals been getting with your own Ups?

Edited by: up_take87

·
Registered
72 Posts
Difficult question to answer since they appear to be taking loads of different suppliers for tyres.

I was on a Seat forecourt on Sunday and they had three different brands of tyre on different new Mii models.
Some 14" tyres were wider than others for no particular reason I could see; it didn't appear to be down to them being eco models or whether they were on steel or alloy rims.

The tyres on the Mii iTech were Falkens made in Thailand.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Ours is just coming up to 2nd service at about 18,000 miles and although I haven't measured them yet, I was thinking that they'll need changing soon.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Done just over 18000 miles and had my tyres checked before going in for service. The front tyres are on 5mm and the rear tyres are on 7mm.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've done 20,000 miles on my summer tyres, fronts are on 3.5mm, rears are 6mm, I think. I reckon the fronts will last until I need to swap them all for winters, so I should be able to postpone getting new fronts until the spring.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts