Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know people say there is not much choice of tyres for our UP GTIs because of the size 195/40/17,but i have seen quite a few different makes on tyre web sites. Hankook, Nankang AS1, Falken, Jinyu, Accelera PH1, and Kumho Solus HS51.
They all have mixed reviews. Some say excellent tyres others say rubbish. It reminds me of the restaurant and hotel reviews on Trip Adviser. Some say the best meal i have had,others say the worst,both reviews from the same restaurant.
I think Jinyu are from China and Kumho are from Korea.
I had Kumho on my Smart and they were very good. 10K Miles and never needed changing in the ten years i had the car.
I know the UP GTI is a different type of car but i dont drive it quickly everywhere every time i go out in it. With the traffic i could not, even if i wanted to, so i am sure Kumho tyres would be ok or even Jinyu as they have a good review from some people and they only cost £40-00.
Just thoughts at the moment as i do not need new tyres yet. I find the Good Years perfectly ok.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have found all sorts of tyres of various brands were OK at dry grip, noise, economy, longevity, handling etc., as I drive within safe limits. Well, maybe some of the really obscure chinese "brands" may not last long!

Where I personally get keen to find out more for a given tyre, is over wet grip rating, in particular wet braking and aquaplaning resistance. Some of this data, as an A,B,C type rating, is required by law for tyres (since 2012).

You are right about Trip Advisor - it proves that 80% of people should not be allowed near the internet! Most people assess the entire quality of a meal out by the size of the plate of reheated, mass-produced frozen chips that came with the "meal"

But it is often the same for many people's opinions on tyres, or oil, or gadgets etc... There is a syndrome with consumers, where simply because they bought something (probably based on being gullible, or liking the adverts, or just "believing in the brand") that they feel obliged to recommend it to the world, based on no actual measurement or any valid apples-for-apples cross-comparisons.

I always say that "anecdotes are not data". :)

Another thing is that tyres from a given "family" within a brand can behave quite differently just by being a different size, so you have to look at and compare specific tyres, not families of tyres.....

·
Registered
288 Posts
Each to their own but long lasting doesn't mean they are good just that they're a hard compound and will be lacking in grip...

Personally tyres are the most important thing on a car and not something I would ever skimp on and the only thing keeping you on the road.

So much more choice if you step up to 205/40/17 and some good prices as it's a much more popular size o

·
Registered
206 Posts
I think any of the Chinese stuff is rubbish and should be avoided. If possible avoid buying anything from that country. Japan, South Korea fine but where possible not China. They can’t be trusted at all so buy someone elses.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All very interesting comments guys. I have 34 front and 32 rear in my tyres GrooveUp. Mind you, i have only checked them once since getting the car so they could have less in by now. Yes Freemansteve i always laugh when i look at the reviews on Trip Advisor.
When i got my new Smart,a neighbour came over to have a look at the car. He worked in the tyre industry. I told him i would have preferred Michelin not Kumho,but he said i should not feel short changed with Kumho as they are excellent tyres and they were. I would certainly fit them to my UP GTI if and when the Good Years need changing.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I’ve run Kumho Ecsta on a car before and they were really pretty good actually.

They obviously weren’t on a level with Michelin Pilot Super Sports or anything, but they were pretty good.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have no experience of Kumho but have their name etched on my brain from their relentless advertising on Eurosport when I used to watch that years ago.
I had Toyo 888r’s on one of the Seven’s superb grip even in the wet which was quite an achievement considering the tyre was as close to a slick as our tyre rules allow, they were Super Softs as well which wear alarmingly quickly on normal cars but don’t do so due to the lack of weight.
Had Yokohama’s as well also really grippy especially on a hot summers day with a good dry road surface, felt like the car was held down by magnets!
Had their A539 tyre on my last X1/9 i seem to remember the wear rate was quite alarmingly quick, a rear pair in just over 10,000 miles springs to mind.
In contrast my last Seven was fitted with Avon ZV3’s, ordinarily a good long life tyre on a tintop but rubbish on a Seven, designed to work with longevity and cars 3 times heavier in mind they were unyielding, stiff and concrete like. They never wore out and spoiled the way the car drove. They are of course our big home manufactured brand, I don’t know whether any of their present offerings would suit our application.
A lot of Seven owners used to fit Uniroyal Rainsports as they worked well wet or dry, nice and predictable apparently. Not too expensive either as I remember.
Had Bridgestone run flats on my last BMW £250 per corner! every 20,000, ruined the dynamics of the chassis but were very ‘safe’ and you never knew if you had a puncture apart from the warning on the dash. They suffered from radial cracking where the ultra thick sidewall met the tread surface, a ‘feature’ of the design and hard to claim warranty on.

One side effect of sticky tyres is that they help to ruin your bodywork, the stickier they are the more pickup there is, so all the grit and stones picked up are then thrown at your cars exposed faces eventually sand blasting the paint off them.

I take all the review sites with a pinch of salt, far too easy to skew the info with false reviews which destroys the genuine posts alongside them. Plus people are much more likely to post if they’ve had a bad experience than good.
Used to read the Evo tyre tests with interest but had trouble relating some of their content to the real world. The EU letter grading system has added some clarity to it all presumably much to the annoyance of the manufacturer

Reactions: freemansteve

·
Registered
201 Posts
"Each to their own but long lasting doesn't mean they are good just that they're a hard compound and will be lacking in grip... "

I would agree with that, and in my experience I have found that dry-grip and longevity seem to vary inversely!

·
Registered
64 Posts
All good points of views above.
He is what i have used and been happy with.
If you were to go to a 205/40/17 which is what i am going to be running when i get my new wheels for the Tsi.
i would either look at
Nexen NFERA SU1 which are a good mid range product. (£65.63 + VAT)
I have used these tires on a big range of cars from a 300bhp Seat Leon Cupra to the Wife's Meriva.
Good in the wet and a half decent price.
I will be running Michelin Pilot Sport 4 when the new wheels do arrive but if my budget didn't stretch to the £116.27 + VAT each i would happily run the Nexen's.

Tech Specs

Nexen NFERA SU1
Eco = E
Wet = B
Sound = 72db

Michelin Pilot Sport 4
ECO = E
Wet = A
Sound = 71db

·
Registered
206 Posts
Funny out of all this I don’t understand how the Goodyears achieve B for fuel and A for wet weather grip, the noise rating of 69db would suggest they are soft but compared to tyres I’ve had in the past they seem rock hard. Usually I’d expect good performance in one category to compromise the other as is shown by the alternative tyres available… unless the grading system is somehow circumventable or broken like the emissions testing was.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Completely irrelevant but… My favourite tyre launch video… little to do with the tyres and more the cars.

Reactions: Schaeffer

·
Registered
201 Posts
"the noise rating of 69db would suggest they are soft"

It's possible the noise rating has more to do with the tread pattern rather than the softness of the 'rubber' tread itself in terms of its grippiness, although very stiff and/or low sidewalls might transmit more noise.

·
Registered
206 Posts
"the noise rating of 69db would suggest they are soft"

It's possible the noise rating has more to do with the tread pattern rather than the softness of the 'rubber' tread itself in terms of its grippiness, although very stiff and/or low sidewalls might transmit more noise.
The sidewalls do indeed seem very soft for a tyre of this profile, maybe that’s where the answer to the relatively low mass of the tyre and ease of pothole generated sidewall failures lies.

Maybe Goodyear went all out to make an eco-tyre and everyone else did it properly.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This could be a silly question,but if you change to 205/40/17 do you need to change the wheel as well or do they fit on the standard wheel? Also does this alter the speedo reading? I guess you would have to inform your insurance company as its a modification.
I am surprised that Michelin who have such a good name are so low for fuel consumption on E yet Goodyear is B. I have seen Kumho is also only E, but i got 60 MPG round town in my Smart and 80 MPG on a run fitted with Kumhos. I know the UP GTI is a different car,but as long as i can get 50-60 MPG no matter which size or make of tyre im happy.

·
Registered
206 Posts
This could be a silly question,but if you change to 205/40/17 do you need to change the wheel as well or do they fit on the standard wheel? Also does this alter the speedo reading? I guess you would have to inform your insurance company as its a modification.
I am surprised that Michelin who have such a good name are so low for fuel consumption on E yet Goodyear is B. I have seen Kumho is also only E, but i got 60 MPG round town in my Smart and 80 MPG on a run fitted with Kumhos. I know the UP GTI is a different car,but as long as i can get 50-60 MPG no matter which size or make of tyre im happy.
Fortunately the 205’s fit on the standard rim.

The Michelin tyres are Pilot Sport’s so are a sporty tyre where emissions come second, Mich do also make some eco tyres, I haven’t gone out of my way to find them.
There are also sporty Goodyear’s but Volkswagen fitted our cars with eco-sports probably to keep emissions down to an absolute base point and also because Goodyear are the only people offering a sporty eco tyre.

Not sure about changing the tyre width insurance wise, technically yes I suppose you should, not 100% sure anyone would actually notice but it would give them an excuse not pay out IF the size wasn’t a manufacturer specified size.

·
Registered
201 Posts
"Maybe Goodyear went all out to make an eco-tyre and everyone else did it properly. "

Generally, any "eco" tyres will have stiffer sidewalls for a given profile, as the (normal, straightline) sidewall flexing wastes energy.

·
Registered
206 Posts
"Maybe Goodyear went all out to make an eco-tyre and everyone else did it properly. "

Generally, any "eco" tyres will have stiffer sidewalls for a given profile, as the (normal, straightline) sidewall flexing wastes energy.
Maybe it’s just the construction or materials of the things but I see nothing massively different to many other tyres.
And yet people on this forum complain of a lack of grip when the tyres are rated better than others of the same size, pothole failures when other makes fitted to these cars don’t seem to suffer similarly.

edited to add:-
I notice there is a Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance 2 so maybe even they acknowledge there are shortcomings with the original. Some of their info follows…
“Goodyear have constructed the EfficientGrip Performance 2 with ‘Wet Braking’ technology. Incorporating lower compound stiffness and an increased number of gripping edges to ensure quick water evacuation from the tyre, thus decreasing the breaking distance in wet weather conditions.
The EfficientGrip Performance 2 has also been developed with high tread elasticity and increased flexibility to decrease the possibility of damage to the tyre on rough road conditions or over a wide range of temperatures. Due to this, the EfficientGrip Performance 2 has increased mileage performance.
The Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 has been designed to feature three large ribs in the middle of the tread pattern. As a result, the overall stiffness of the tyre will improve and enhance the overall cornering stability in dry conditions
.”

As yet it’s not available in 195 40 17

·
Registered
201 Posts
Quite happy with my little 185/50 x16 Goodyear eco tyres - they seem pretty good all rounders, but then with only 75ps, they are not too stressed !!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Quite happy with my little 185/50 x16 Goodyear eco tyres - they seem pretty good all rounders, but then with only 75ps, they are not too stressed !!
Reminds me of the difference between my BMW and then the Golf that followed it. I could buy a set of 4 Premium Contact Conti’s for the price of 1 of the Bridgestone run flats that the BMW used. As it turned out the rear Conti’s lasted so well I never had to replace them in 7 years or 60,000miles. The car was still on its original brakes when I sold it also. All very unstressed, I didn’t stress it so it didn’t stress me.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts