Up Owners Club banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Really i was only curious as i mostly drive cool and relaxed so i am more than happy with the standard fit Goodyears. If they need changing i would fit Kumho or Barum which i have had years ago on a Fiat Cinq Sporting. Both tyres cost £65 today.
My last car which i had for 10 years was on the original Kumho tyres and were perfect having done 10K miles. Infact everything on the car was original. I never needed to change the exhaust or even a bulb. The only thing i changed was the battery after 6 years.Other than that it had a service and MOT every year and always sailed through the MOT. I only ever had the small oil change service as only doing 1000 miles a year i did not think it needed the major service. It ran pefectly and always started first time even when i had not touched it for 2 months in the winter.
The tyres on my UP GTI have 6 mm on them after 5K miles so they should last me while i own the car with the low mileage i do and the gentle way i drive. Yes the car can be driven quickly, but there is so much more to enjoy than hurling round the track sideways as they do on Top Gear.
I love the way car looks with the stripes,wheels,tinted privacy glass tartan seats leather steering wheel and the way the engine is so quiet,the cruise control etc.Plus of course the effortless power in any gear and the great fuel economy.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Really i was only curious as i mostly drive cool and relaxed so i am more than happy with the standard fit Goodyears. If they need changing i would fit Kumho or Barum which i have had years ago on a Fiat Cinq Sporting. Both tyres cost £65 today.
My last car which i had for 10 years was on the original Kumho tyres and were perfect having done 10K miles. Infact everything on the car was original. I never needed to change the exhaust or even a bulb. The only thing i changed was the battery after 6 years.Other than that it had a service and MOT every year and always sailed through the MOT. I only ever had the small oil change service as only doing 1000 miles a year i did not think it needed the major service. It ran pefectly and always started first time even when i had not touched it for 2 months in the winter.
The tyres on my UP GTI have 6 mm on them after 5K miles so they should last me while i own the car with the low mileage i do and the gentle way i drive. Yes the car can be driven quickly, but there is so much more to enjoy than hurling round the track sideways as they do on Top Gear.
I love the way car looks with the stripes,wheels,tinted privacy glass tartan seats leather steering wheel and the way the engine is so quiet,the cruise control etc.Plus of course the effortless power in any gear and the great fuel economy.
I also had a Cinq Sporting from probably ‘98 to ‘00, great little car, again superb fun. Wrote a fairly successful website about the car and was involved at the start of an owners club for them called Clubcento name was my idea. Had a Sei Sporting with the Abarth pack on it for a while also somehow it wasn’t quite as pure as the Cinq a bit like a film that’s a sequel good but not quite as good. Both were very cheap to run, very, very cheap!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetric 5 in the 205/40 r17, I've fitted them on my gti now and I would put them ahead of Michelin pilot sport 4, seriously impressed with them.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
We have had quite a few of the same cars ASH. I guess great minds think alike. I got my Cinq Sporting new in 1995 and kept it for 6 years. I loved the look,the small steering wheel,the seats. The car was in Broom Yellow and got loads of admiring glances. In that time i did 8K a year and had a new exhaust back box,new battery and 2 new front tyres. I cant remember the make of the standard fit tyres,but i know they cost £75 each then. I got Barum instead for £25 each.
In my teens and twenties i always had sports cars called classics today. I had 2 MGBs Triumph TR6 and a Spitfire. Also large saloons Ford Granada,and Jaguar XJ6.
I loved my Smart Diesel Automatic. 60 to 80 MPG and free road tax. The Smart brand had a large following and an active owners forum.However the price of the car is now absurd. My Car was £9500 in 2009. I got it for £8500. The last petrol model was priced at £15000 with all the toys,but now they are electric only with a range of only 80 miles on a charge and priced from £20000 to £24000. You can get a new Mini Cooper automatic for less or a Polo GTI or Mazda MX5. Even those who have bought Smarts from when they first came out and nothing but, are now saying they would not buy another. It certainly makes our UP GTI look like an all time bargain.

·
Registered
207 Posts
My Cinq was red, an Italian colour for an Italian car (made in Poland), wanted something a bit different to the very popular Yellow.
Had 2 MG’s as well, a Midget and one of the very last BGT’s, went to school next to the factory so I kind of had to have one.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Had a chat with my insurers with reference to the 195 to 205 change and it’s classed as an upgrade, I was asked whether the tyres would cost more which they don’t and whether the wheels would be non-standard, so it transpires that as long as I tell them they will still cover me and there is nothing to pay.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thats good to know,but i will stick with the standard spec for now.If and when the tyres need replacing i will stay with 195/40/17 and get either Kumho, Barum or Nankang.
I have not needed to put any petrol in the tank since the car came with a full tank. The needle is now in between half and quarter. I will fill up when its on a quarter. I would think it will take around 5 Galls. Yes i still work in Galls. I am old fashioned.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Give it a tank of the good Shell or BP stuff if you can, maybe one in every 3 or 4 tanks. Keeps things nice and clean.

With 40 miles range left according to the dash, my car took 31.56litres (just under 7 gallons). £35’s worth of Tesco Momentum which I’m reliably informed is not as good by quite a step as the Shell or BP premium fuel.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I always used Tesco fuel in my Smart Diesel for 10 years and it ran perfectly. Yes its true i only did 10K miles in 10 years so you could say only one years mileage.
Is 95 Ron ok in the UP GTI or do i need 98 Ron? I must remember to select the petrol pump not the diesel pump after 10 years of filling up with diesel.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I always used Tesco fuel in my Smart Diesel for 10 years and it ran perfectly. Yes its true i only did 10K miles in 10 years so you could say only one years mileage.
Is 95 Ron ok in the UP GTI or do i need 98 Ron? I must remember to select the petrol pump not the diesel pump after 10 years of filling up with diesel.
I believe the car is fine on 95 but better on 98, it has an intelligent engine management system so should adjust to the better stuff and either produce more performance or economy depending on your driving style.

My last car, an Astra 1 litre 3 cylinder was real picky on fuel, the manual stated that where possible it should be run on premium fuel 97 or better which made a bit of a mockery of it being a cheap to run eco car. Just once I put some Shell 95 in it as I couldn’t get any 98… 60 miles later… engine light and limp mode, took it to the local VX garage ‘fixed’ for free , no parts, no charge, no paperwork, no proper explanation, judging by how rough it ran for a while they just flushed the ecu, I was told come back if it does it again. Always ran it on 98 after that and the problem never returned.

Someone I know tells me a back to back test has been carried out running an engine on both the Tesco and BP premium fuels split across cylinders after 20k the Tesco cyls showed significantly greater coke buildup. The Shell stuff has similar properties to the BP.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'd like to see the report on the Castrol fuel test, but can't find anything on the web about it. Do you have a link to that specific test? Castrol is of course BP....

...I'm pretty sure that oil companies have a huge budget to spend to get ad agencies and social media influencers to cast fear, uncertainty and doubt about all fuels that are sold with a discount compared with their own!

This ends up with many people saying "I heard..." and "supposed to be good" and the like, as intended. But it is an act of faith and there are few completely independent, genuinely scientific research projects that prove all the claims conclusively, using big data rather than anecdotes. One reason for this is that oil companies are so powerful they can literally afford to shut people down or discredit them, if they say something they don't want to be publicly known. It's the world of big-money spin that we live in these days, and where people 'want to believe'...

To be clear, I have no doubt that a vehicle with modern electronics should produce more power with higher octane fuels (this can be limited in the ECU map by manufacturer's design for various good reasons, like internal engine temp and thus emissions)... I also have no doubt that there are additives that may help keep an engine a little cleaner than without; I'm just not sure about claims about Brand-X being cleaner than Brand-Y, or the constant dissing of stuff people buy from supermarkets! There are probably only a few suppliers of fuel additives anyway - it's not like they're made by the supermarkets themselves.

I can say on my 1.0 non-turbo MPI, 95 or 97RON, makes no discernable difference (too early to know if my engine is staying clean), but I expect in the GTi turbo engine, 97 would be better. But in my V6 3.0l diesel pick-up truck, using super-diesel when towing (all-up weight of 6.5t), the super-fuel made a big difference, and unusually for big towing, we got no DPF issues.

·
Registered
597 Posts
One of the main heated discussion issues on forums tends to be about claims about 'this fuel is better than that fuel'. I have my own thoughts based on well over 40 odd years of driving, but as I do not want to start a row, I will keep them to myself. But anyone remember the 'Formula Shell' fisaco?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Which grade fuel does VW recommend for the UP GTI? I am not sure if its in the handbook,but that is like reading war and peace. Also is Tesco Momentum the higher grade stuff and if so what is the ordinary petrol called?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Which grade fuel does VW recommend for the UP GTI? I am not sure if its in the handbook,but that is like reading war and peace. Also is Tesco Momentum the higher grade stuff and if so what is the ordinary petrol called?
I believe the Tesco standard fuel is just called ‘Unleaded’ and the other ‘Momentum 99’.

·
Registered
288 Posts
It's true that people will always say I've heard this or that..

My other car is a Clio 182 Cup and they are meant to run on 98 as stated inside the fuel flap.

I've had it from brand new it's now over 15 years old and it's always been run on the Tesco 99 it's only done 52k so lightly used and lots of short journeys which isn't great for any car and it still pulls like it did when new!

That's why the Up GTi has had the same fuel from day one

·
Registered
509 Posts
I’ve ran my car on V power from day one with a few tanks of Tesco’s 99 here and there.
Then tried some Esso 97 synergy + which is ethanol free apart from in Devon / Cornwall and Newcastle area..
It gives around 4 mpg extra over V power.
Maybe some of should try it .
Won’t hurt nothing to loose ?
See how it goes ?

·
Registered
207 Posts
The fuel info is written on the inside of the fuel flap.
Minimum 95 Ron
E5 which means maximum 5% Ethanol
E10 which means max 10% Ethanol
Not sure why it states 2 different figures for the same thing. I assume it means it meets both standards.

The U.K. standard for fuel is E5, there is a Gov consultation running on whether to move to E10

Tesco Momentum is 5% BioEthanol
Shell VPower is unknown AFAICT
Esso Synergy Supreme is supposedly Ethanol free.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I guess my point was the car will be fine on anything and no matter how many people tell you Tesco fuel will kill the car in a week.... 15 years in the same car with the same fuel tells me different

·
Registered
207 Posts
Any new engine for the UK/EU market in the last 20 years has been designed to run OK on E10, let alone E5.
There are older engines, which were sold in cars until 2006, which may work less well. The EU has a compatibility list.

Ethanol burns well in recent engines, having a RON of about 110, and it burns more cleanly. In the US, E15 is common....

The big issue, as usual, is about who makes money from what. In the US, the fight was between Big Oil and mid-west farmers (who grow the corn for ethanol). Bush Snr needed the farming votes, and handily also could look like being against the more toxic pollution from running 'pure gasoline' to satisfy the green lobby (the latter is fair enough). So the course was set, but Big Oil is still fighting against ethanol with an endless campaign to discredit it, and yes, to cast Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt with consumers. Basically the ethanol is stuff they buy-in, and it loses them money compared with just using their own refined oil products.

The only big issues with ethanol are with storing E10 for a long time, it being hygroscopic. E5 is not a big problem but beyond about 6% ethanol, any additionally absorbed water can theoretically come out of solution (ie separates) and that can be a problem. It really doesn't happen much though in the UK, it's mostly a scare story. People may recall that campaigns against the banning of tetra-ethyl-lead were viciously fought (GM had a lot of cash to spend, and almost a monopoly), with claims that the transport world would stop without lead and civilizations would collapse - but it did not happen and we still have ICE's!

Many people will recall dubious "water injection" systems from 15 years ago, so clearly water can be tolerated internally in the cylinders, and was touted as a "good idea" (albeit by people making money from the kits).

All modern cars use seals made from synthetic polymers which don't care about water, and injectors & pumps are not affected so long as any water there may be in the fuel is held in solution and is not 'free water'....

21 - 40 of 60 Posts