Up Owners Club banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Wow none of these problems years ago in the 60s when i drove into the petrol station and out would come the smiling attendant. Fill her up i would say. The attendant would put the petrol in the car for you and then clean your windscreen all for the cost of £2-00 for a full tank including service charge. Now it is certainly fuel for thought. lol.
I have always used the basic fuel in my cars. I did not know the guide was on the fuel flap Ash. Thanks for that. I might try Tesco Momentum but im sure the normal unleaded is perfectly ok.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Wow none of these problems years ago in the 60s when i drove into the petrol station and out would come the smiling attendant. Fill her up i would say. The attendant would put the petrol in the car for you and then clean your windscreen all for the cost of £2-00 for a full tank including service charge. Now it is certainly fuel for thought. lol.
I have always used the basic fuel in my cars. I did not know the guide was on the fuel flap Ash. Thanks for that. I might try Tesco Momentum but im sure the normal unleaded is perfectly ok.
Don’t forget to lock the cap, although the flap looks like a locking one that locks with the central locking it isn’t.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Yes i will lock it. I did try the key a few days ago to make sure it worked as i did not want to look a fool at the pump not knowing how to remove the cap. Its strange how the cap spins until you use the key.
A trip to the petrol station is a rare event for me with the low mileage that i do.In my last car i visited every 3 months to fill up,so in my UP GTI i will probably need to fill up every 2 months at most

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yes i will lock it. I did try the key a few days ago to make sure it worked as i did not want to look a fool at the pump not knowing how to remove the cap. Its strange how the cap spins until you use the key.
A trip to the petrol station is a rare event for me with the low mileage that i do.In my last car i visited every 3 months to fill up,so in my UP GTI i will probably need to fill up every 2 months at most
Also the flap seems quite easy to snap off, there’s a few posts on here where people have walked into them or reached across them whilst refuelling or somehow caught the flap and the flap snaps off the arm where the two meet. Worth remembering.

Reactions: apex53

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Thanks i will watch out for that. My last cars flap locked with the central locking but of course it did not need a key for the cap, unlike the UP GTI that has a key for the cap.
I also checked the oil level the other day. It is rather hard to tell the level on the black dip stick but it looks wet enough.
Again years ago i was always told the level should be on the full mark or max,however these days most mechanics have said in between the low and max around 1/2 way is best.
Im not sure which is correct but it looks like my UP GTI is on the full mark. I guess the car has to have fully synthetic oil.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yes they’ve not made it that easy to check the level, having some absorbent paper to hand, wiping and re-dipping seems a way to get a decent reading.

As far as I know the oil is as follows :-
Castrol Edge Titanium 5W-30 LL
Fully Synthetic
Oil Spec - VW 504 00 VW 508 00
4L £34.99 Opie Oils
Other forum posters correct me if I’m wrong.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Thanks for that Ash. I thought it would be fully synthetic. I hope the car will not need any top ups between service anyway,but i will buy a small container of Castrol to keep just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
207 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Filled up today for the first time. The needle was on 1/4 and it took 6 galls. I had done 300 miles so i got 50 MPG which is very good with a mix of some motorway runs at no more than 60 MPH and mostly short runs in stop start traffic.
One thing i did notice.If it took 6 galls on 1/4 then empty will really mean empty,so i will never let it go under the 1/4 mark.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Filled up today for the first time. The needle was on 1/4 and it took 6 galls. I had done 300 miles so i got 50 MPG which is very good with a mix of some motorway runs at no more than 60 MPH and mostly short runs in stop start traffic.
One thing i did notice.If it took 6 galls on 1/4 then empty will really mean empty,so i will never let it go under the 1/4 mark.
As previously mentioned with 40 miles left on the range predictor I got 31.56l (6.94 gallons) into mine, I suspect that you can get a bit more than the stated 35l (7.6 gallons) into the car by absolutely brimming it which is kind of what I did to achieve an exact £35 fill up.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Was the needle on empty or 1/4? I paid just under £30-00 for the fill up Tesco Unleaded.
That will be ok now for a couple of months. I have not driven it today. Its cold wet and windy. Just like summer lol.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Was the needle on empty or 1/4? I paid just under £30-00 for the fill up Tesco Unleaded.
That will be ok now for a couple of months. I have not driven it today. Its cold wet and windy. Just like summer lol.
It was well below the 1/4 mark but not on empty.
Similarly I shan’t have to fill up until at least this time next month maybe a bit longer if I’m lucky.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have been using Michelin PS4 205/40/17 for some time now and are happy with them.
Today I went to a driving centre for a 1-day course.
High speed slalom on asphalt (dry/wet) was very good.
However, on compacted snow (a kind of epoxy with lots of water), braking and maneuvering was horrible. Mini-buses with all-season tires were performing much better.

That is to be expected for summer tires, I guess, but it made it very clear: change to winter tires a bit earlier than I usually do :)

·
Registered
610 Posts
205/40/17 Sport Contact 6s here and very very good.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Personally, i am aspiring to buy Pirelli P Zero Assimetrico 205 50 15. They are expensive but I have confidence from what I read about them

·
Registered
4 Posts
This could be a silly question,but if you change to 205/40/17 do you need to change the wheel as well or do they fit on the standard wheel? Also does this alter the speedo reading? I guess you would have to inform your insurance company as its a modification.
I am surprised that Michelin who have such a good name are so low for fuel consumption on E yet Goodyear is B. I have seen Kumho is also only E, but i got 60 MPG round town in my Smart and 80 MPG on a run fitted with Kumhos. I know the UP GTI is a different car,but as long as i can get 50-60 MPG no matter which size or make of tyre im happy.
The fuel rating for a tyre is largely irrelevant. Other factors like your driving style, type of car, tyre pressures, city or urban driving etc etc etc will have a larger effect

·
Registered
4 Posts
I believe the car is fine on 95 but better on 98, it has an intelligent engine management system so should adjust to the better stuff and either produce more performance or economy depending on your driving style.

My last car, an Astra 1 litre 3 cylinder was real picky on fuel, the manual stated that where possible it should be run on premium fuel 97 or better which made a bit of a mockery of it being a cheap to run eco car. Just once I put some Shell 95 in it as I couldn’t get any 98… 60 miles later… engine light and limp mode, took it to the local VX garage ‘fixed’ for free , no parts, no charge, no paperwork, no proper explanation, judging by how rough it ran for a while they just flushed the ecu, I was told come back if it does it again. Always ran it on 98 after that and the problem never returned.
A 98 octane fuel isn't 'better' than 95. It is only a measure of resistance to pre-ignition. It won't make any noticeable difference to a 1.0tsi engine in terms of power although granted there may be a miniscule gain. A high octane fuel may be less economical than a lower octane fuel as some high octane fuels achieve this by adding ethanol... which has a higher octane rating but at the same time has less energy per litre.

The reason your astra had problems with a low octane fuel is that the fuel pre-ignited before the piston was at top-dead-centre. It is never good to use a lower octane fuel than that suggested by the manufacturer.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts