Up Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my up recently went into vw for its second year service it has very low mileage (13800.00) I was informed when i collected it that all 4 tyres are cracked and perished. I'm very disappointed that they have only lasted two years its not what you expect when you buy a brand new car. I have emailed bridgestone the tyre manufacturers to find out what the most likely reason is for this. Has anyone else had the same problem? id be interested in your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Hi tiny10,

13800 miles are NOTHING for a car tyre ...
Would be okay for a motorbike front tyre - but not for car tyres ...
I have BT45 tyres on both motorbikes and they are great - recommended in every bike forum ...

I hope Bridgestone wants to have one tyre or all of them for research ...

I changed the tyres on my Lupo after 10.000 miles!
BUT because they were 8 y.o. ...
The rule says to change them after about 7 years because the rubber changes during time.

2.5 or 3 y.o. tyres should still be okay (add time between manufacturing and putting them on).

·
Registered
540 Posts
Agreed with the above. 2 Years and less than 15k miles is nothing for your average car tyre.

I'd ensure that VW aren't pulling a fast one to get £120+ a tyre from you!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Check the manufacture date of the tyres. They may be old stock

·
Registered
277 Posts
I wouldn't trust what the dealer says. After a service on a previous Golf GTI that I had they tried to tell me that my front tyres where down to 2mm, I checked them when I got home and I had 6mm left.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yep, personally I would get them changed elsewhere, I have always been able to get tyre garages to match online prices, like black circles or equivalent (though they seem to have gone up in price a lot recently...).

I had some Eagle F1 tyres previously, which perished before they wore the tread down, I know a couple of others who the same thing happened, not sure what causes it though.

Should be lasting a bit more than 12k in an Up! though, I think a set of Pirelli P Zeros on my chavvy Corsa lasted just under 18k, though that tended to be driven 'enthusiastically'.

Edited by: Ed!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had Bridgestone crack on an Astra SRi - maybe its a Bridgestone thing.

The law on tyre ages is out of date (sic). You cannot sell tyres more than (I think) 5 years old, but once on a car it is LEGAL to keep them on forever - they just have to pass a visual inspection for the MOT every year. I think there should also be a strict age limit too.

Caravaners are recommend to replace every 5 years, but caravan tyres actually have a tougher time than car tyres, so this does not follow for car tyres necessarily, but I'd not use a tyre with a date code more than 10 years.

Oddly, tyres not being used isn't good for them. The act of movement helps keep them supple apparently.

Edited by: Stealth

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just pulled all four bridgestones off my up cracked at less than 8.5k 2012 up same thing happened to a friends Audi on bridgestones 10kyear old Bridgestone said buy a new set and would look at them if he sent them in at his cost etc so he bought vredestien and binned all four mine are going on a drft car to be trashed a shame really as they have 6,7mm left.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Was told by a tyre dealer they crack as there is less rubber in tyres now more polyester and other compounds etc

1 - 10 of 10 Posts