Up Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I’ve an UP GTI 21 reg and i’m very happy with it, just want to check regarding tyres.

It seems a popular move to swap the eco goodyear tyres from the stock 195/40/17’s to some better tyres that are 205/40/17’s.

I was thinking to get the new Michelin PS 5’s that have come out this year. Dealer has said 205’s will fit with no issues and just wanted to check with chaps on here if that’s the case?

Many thanks,

Tom.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Just get them put on the rims. No kit or alteration needed. You won't notice a problem, apart from a little extra rim protection. But be careful, the PS4s had quite soft tyre walls, so you'll want to avoid pot holes!
I have PS4s on my other car and they are very good

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Superb,

thank you very much,

Think I will get the 5's as they are out and reviews show they're retained the positives of the 4's but more durability/life.

Tom.

·
Registered
Up gti
150 Posts
I am just this minute looking, have Michelin's on front and turd tyres still on back :0
What I don't get is, 220/45/17 is about 40 pounds a tyre cheaper that the ones for our ups. Does anybody know why as surely it uses more rubber?

Thanks in advance, think I will try the Goodyear's this time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am just this minute looking, have Michelin's on front and turd tyres still on back :0
What I don't get is, 220/45/17 is about 40 pounds a tyre cheaper that the ones for our ups. Does anybody know why as surely it uses more rubber?

Thanks in advance, think I will try the Goodyear's this time.
Most likely because more cars use this size, so there are more economies of scale when producing them.

·
Registered
Up! GTI kings red; Eibach pro spacers/Pro Street S coilovers; Pilot sport 5s; Forge induction
94 Posts
Superb,

thank you very much,

Think I will get the 5's as they are out and reviews show they're retained the positives of the 4's but more durability/life.

Tom.
Having run the PS5s for a month now they really are fantastic. Wet grip is superb, and in the dry they have turn in feel and exceptional cornering ability

·
Registered
22 plate silver GTI.
61 Posts
What are the turd tyres on the back you refer too haha.

is it regarded as okay to fit better more expensive tyres on the fronts. And not so expensive on back.

i.e. the Goodyears it cosmetics with on rear. And replace fronts with PS5’s. Love to know what people think about this. As all 4 corners are expensive for a Yorkshireman. 💰💰💰

·
Registered
Up! GTI kings red; Eibach pro spacers/Pro Street S coilovers; Pilot sport 5s; Forge induction
94 Posts
What are the turd tyres on the back you refer too haha.

is it regarded as okay to fit better more expensive tyres on the fronts. And not so expensive on back.

i.e. the Goodyears it cosmetics with on rear. And replace fronts with PS5’s. Love to know what people think about this. As all 4 corners are expensive for a Yorkshireman. 💰💰💰
Depends on if you want your car to handle half crap… Why spend the money on 2 excellent tires and leave 2 really awful ones? The tires will last between 25-30,000 miles? Just sell the others on EBay to offset the difference?….

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yeah I guess so. Are the Goodyears that bad. I’ve not run my GTI in yet so not pushing it at all yet.
I’ve driven Peugeot 107s with more cornering performance. I have never driven a car with such poor dry grip (waxy understeer around normal corners/ roundabouts) and actually frighteningly crap wet cornering ability. Get rid.👍

·
Registered
94 Posts
Haha when you put it like that I think I’d better get rid. Or I will be in a hedge 😂🤣🤪
See what everyone else says but I hope they agree! I’ve done lots of mods to mine, but in hindsight tire change would be the very first modification I would do.

·
Registered
871 Posts
1st thing we did within weeks it's a no brainer as far as I'm concerned.

You should always put the better or newer tyres on the rear on a front wheel drive car but they are pretty cheap in the grand scheme of thing so I would always replace all 4 in the 1st instance...

·
Registered
21 Posts
I changed all 4 to PS5 within 2 weeks of buying the car, though it was second hand so they weren't new. I certainly wouldn't change the fronts and not the rears. If you're pushing in the dry it probably wont make a huge amount of difference since the car is set up to understeer anyway, but in the wet there's a good chance it will swap ends, especially braking into a corner or roundabout as the PS5s are probably the best grip in the wet that you will get, whereas the Goodyears are not.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Is there really a problem with the Goodyears? - I find them pretty good in dry and wet and when you look at the number of positive reviews on Black Circles and tyrereviews no one else seems to have a problem, difference might show up on the track but on public roads...? things have moved on but they still seem to be rated quite high - just asking...

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have recently joined this forum, now having 2 CityGo cars. I have come from a very vibrant Toyota owners forum. On there, the Goodyear Efficient Grip 2 tyre gets a very good review. One guy on there using G EG 2 tyres with an Auris hybrid doing over 30000 a year. Or are you guys just talking about VW GTi cars?

1 - 20 of 119 Posts