Up Owners Club banner
61 - 80 of 119 Posts

Registered
Yeah I guess so.
they just seemed a good price for summer driving. 50/50. Road and track tyres they say.
cheers Sean 馃憤馃徏
The Nankang NS-2r are used by one of the Nurburgring rental companies ( apex I think) so will be a great tyre for track use but they won鈥檛 be as good as something like Michelin PS 5 on the road. (y)

Reactions: Rmdgti

Registered
The answer is "probably", as the steels won't have as convoluted a shape at the rear of the wheel as a cast alloy one, but in all honest you'll not know for sure that the GTI calipers clear until you fitted one. I think it's far more likely than not, the ET being only 1mm more than the standard 39mm of the 17" Oswalds, and as a worst resort, a thin spacer should be all that would be needed to clear any foul condition.
I use 15" original Tsi wheels as winters on my Gti, and all the front needed to clear was a 2mm spacer, However, 16" OE Triangle" Up alloys, and 16" "Upsilon" alloys still need a similar spacer, so it's all to do with the shape of the back of the wheel, rather than diameter.

Reactions: Rmdgti

Registered
Got a link ? The hub diameter is 3mm too big, don't know if they come with a sleeve to help mount on 57mm hub, but should be fine apart from that I think.

Would be interested to know the weight as well.

Registered
22 plate silver GTI.
I dont mind them at all. Quite smart for winter.
ive just ordered those steels. for 拢39 a corner.
where I live I need something g for the dark winter months

Registered
I've never used Oponeo: are they OK ? Any nasty surprises with ex-EU delivery: import duty, VAT etc ? Prices seem really good.

I just had a quick look at 16" 4x100 alloy wheels and these look really cheap and are 6" width like factory 16's, but are ET38 so better chance of clearing front calipers and very close to GTI factory ET of 39:

At the other end of the scale this seems a good price for 16x7 Alleggeritas:

Registered
2021 GTI
Hmm, Renault Clio fitment. Does anyone know if the Speedline Turinis fitted to Mk2 RS Clios (172 Cup, Trophy) fit the up? I believe they're 7x16, 4X100, ET38.5, 60.1mm. Has anyone tried them?

edit. realised that these are now 20yo (whoosh!) so perhaps not a good idea, indeed they're silly money for the sets on eBay at the moment. 拢600, buckled!
15" OZ F1s from the earlier cars are cheaper although even older

Registered
TYRE UPGRADE. 205/40 on Oswalds.

I've just fitted Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 6 tyres to my new UP GTI and the difference is significant. Size 205/40. Much nicer ride. You really wouldn't think changing the tyres could make such a difference.

The OE Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance tyres are pretty substandard. There are a number of issues, there is no sidewall reinforcement, no rim protection and the ride is awful on them.

Particularly good rim protection with the Eagles, see second picture. It's probably pretty easy to kerb the wheels when running the OE 195/40 EfficientGrip Performance tyres.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Locking hubs Automotive design

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

Registered
Nice, especially the kerb protection. Any idea what those tyres weigh ? For comparison, Michelin PS5 in that size are 8.3kg, which is at least 1kg heavier than the factory tyres.

Registered
Mark, well remembered: about 0.5kg lighter:

Amazing difference between heaviest and lightest in that test, Bridgestone T005, which is more a touring tyre, is 8kg, Hankook S1 Evo 3 is nearly 10kg.

61 - 80 of 119 Posts