Up Owners Club banner
101 - 119 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've just seen this recent tyre test if anyone is interested. 17" wheels, but on a golf with different tyre sizes. The summary at the end shows tyre weights etc.

Hopefully the link works!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Yeah, that guy is a legend.

Check out the weight of the PS5 vs the Bridgestone touring tyre they threw into the mix. And all that extra weight is near the outer edge of the rotating mass so its effect on acceleration and braking is almost doubled :(

·
Registered
Up! GTI kings red; Eibach pro spacers/Pro Street S coilovers; Pilot sport 5s; Forge induction
94 Posts
Agreed....Lightweight wheels needed🙉
Unless you are on track it’s going to make negligible difference. If you want a cheap comfy tire- Bridgestone. I you want control in the wet Michelin. If you want the best in the dry but compromise on lateral aquaplane then Goodyear. All the talk about kilograms here and there… It’s all relative. It’s not a 911. If your going for stripped out minimal, power-to-weight, remove the rear bench, fit lightweight alloys, replace the heavy OEM seats for carbon blah blah then fine. But we are talking a couple of kilos per corner in a high powered city car.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Unless you are on track it’s going to make negligible difference. If you want a cheap comfy tire- Bridgestone. I you want control in the wet Michelin. If you want the best in the dry but compromise on lateral aquaplane then Goodyear. All the talk about kilograms here and there… It’s all relative. It’s not a 911. If your going for stripped out minimal, power-to-weight, remove the rear bench, fit lightweight alloys, replace the heavy OEM seats for carbon blah blah then fine. But we are talking a couple of kilos per corner in a high powered city car.
How are you liking those coilovers? I'm still waiting for mine!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for that. Im really liking mine, it's settling down and I'm getting used to a little bumpyness, so your feedback is appreciated👍 I'll definitely continue to wait.
In a different life I tried light weight team dynamics wheels and did feel that the golf was a little more nimble setting off / low speeds. But I also went back to the OEM wheels as I preferred the looks😀.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Maybe an odd question, but does anyone consider brand loyalty when making a decision on what tyres to buy?

·
Registered
Up! GTI kings red; Eibach pro spacers/Pro Street S coilovers; Pilot sport 5s; Forge induction
94 Posts
Correct, it's not a 911. It weighs much less and it does not have a massive surplus of power. So losing 16kgs total from the mass to be accelerated is much more significant than it would be in a 911.
Well each to their own. I’d rather have a heavier tire that had vastly improved dry/wet handling characteristics than a soft comfort side-walled tire, but hey it’s lighter. I’m not getting into a battle of attrition on this one. If light is what someone wants then so be it. End of, from me.

·
Registered
86 Posts
25,000 long hard miles 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Wow that's good. I have 11,500ks on mine and the outer edges are ok but not brill.Center and inner edges ok. Really needs more negative camber on the fronts. I run at 2.4 bar front. (optional VW comfort setting) Less than that the tyres will roll-over. But i run 2.8 bar rear which really reduces under-steer as unsettles the back. Far better a twichey rear than a front that washes out. I'll go for GYs again. Don't have a problem just like a few guys on this chat have also said. I notice a few guys have fitted spacers on the rear with 205s apparently unnecessary in some of you guy's opinion. I concur with that. Gives the rear too much grip which promotes under-steer. Need to reduce rear grip with higher pressure like i have or run naff but legal rear tyres.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Need to reduce rear grip with higher pressure like i have or run naff but legal rear tyres.
You suffer lots of understeer, but would buy the goodyears again?
I'm not sure running naff tyres on the rear to negate the poor grip of the goodyears is a good idea.

I get not everyone wants to spend the money, and that's fine, but after adding a decent set of coilovers, poly bushing the front arms and a set of more performance oriented tyres, I don't suffer with understeer, the car rotates really nicely.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You suffer lots of understeer, but would buy the goodyears again?
I'm not sure running naff tyres on the rear to negate the poor grip of the goodyears is a good idea.

I get not everyone wants to spend the money, and that's fine, but after adding a decent set of coilovers, poly bushing the front arms and a set of more performance oriented tyres, I don't suffer with understeer, the car rotates really nicely.
Hi G50....Yeah but ALL FWD cars under-steer ! It's what they do! (with the exception of the Pug 205s from years ago.They had lift-off oversteer! Brilliant!😀 Even with a Track-day tyre like the Yoko 52 or a Mich Cup 2 FWD cars understeer. It's best to unsettle the back to sort this.But an ajustable strut top-hat would be good so more Neg could be dialled-in. We cannot do that here.In mainland Europe we cannot pass the itv (MOT) with coil-overs,205s,modded this or modded that. Cost is not the issue. We have to stick to the homologation sheet. Big pain, but there you go.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi G50....Yeah but ALL FWD cars under-steer ! It's what they do! (with the exception of the Pug 205s from years ago.They had lift-off oversteer! Brilliant!😀 Even with a Track-day tyre like the Yoko 52 or a Mich Cup 2 FWD cars understeer. It's best to unsettle the back to sort this.But an ajustable strut top-hat would be good so more Neg could be dialled-in. We cannot do that here.In mainland Europe we cannot pass the itv (MOT) with coil-overs,205s,modded this or modded that. Cost is not the issue. We have to stick to the homologation sheet. Big pain, but there you go.
That sucks that you can't modify anything. You say mainland Europe, so the likes of Bilstein, H&R etc, made in Germany, can't be used in Germany?

Have to say I disagree with your statement that all FWD cars understeer. All road cars understeer, it's just that you can provoke the rear with the throttle in a RWD road car. In FWD more thottle just makes it understeer more, even with an LSD. If a FWD car has the right geometry it won't understeer, unless you're silly with the throttle.

·
Registered
86 Posts
That sucks that you can't modify anything. You say mainland Europe, so the likes of Bilstein, H&R etc, made in Germany, can't be used in Germany?

Have to say I disagree with your statement that all FWD cars understeer. All road cars understeer, it's just that you can provoke the rear with the throttle in a RWD road car. In FWD more thottle just makes it understeer more, even with an LSD. If a FWD car has the right geometry it won't understeer, unless you're silly with the throttle.
Yeah you can swop the OE parts like a front strut or a rear shocker for another make and if asked why at the MOT just say it failed or you hit a kerb. OE on the Up Gti are often Sachs so you could go for Bilstein but no coil-overs.

No probs for me you disagree re the FWD. Not in my experience tho or others i work with. I left-foot brake as the norm and even with brake and gas entering and mid-corner an FWD car understeers. Watch the FWD BTCC cars from Brands on ITV4 this coming Sunday. They always run wide even with an LSD,hot slicks,tons of front neg camber,stiff front A-R bar and the stiffest rear-end known to man. Yeah you guys there are so-lucky that you can play with the car. But in UK you can get a log book from a scrappie and put that reg plate on anything you build from a kit or whatever.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Hmm. Back in the day (pug 205 GTI and others) left foot braking helped quell understeer as it can transfer a little weight off the rear enabling the car to rotate better, however in most modern turbocharged FWD cars the electronics won’t allow it and kill the boost as soon as braking is detected.
Lift off oversteer in my UP GTI is worryingly easy to provoke, especially in the wet….

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hmm. Back in the day (pug 205 GTI and others) left foot braking helped quell understeer as it can transfer a little weight off the rear enabling the car to rotate better, however in most modern turbocharged FWD cars the electronics won’t allow it and kill the boost as soon as braking is detected.
Lift off oversteer in my UP GTI is worryingly easy to provoke, especially in the wet….
You are spot-on re the Pug and many others.
You cannot beat the Up's ESP electronics unless you're an ECU wizard, but if you trail-brake in and then gas just before releasing the brake with your left foot it works and you have power to pull you round.
Agree too re the lift-off oversteer in the wet, but power-on brings it back. But safer to have that issue than the front washing-out off the road.

101 - 119 of 119 Posts