Up Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
If I park with the steering lock on it will pull in that direction when I next drive the car - until I park with the steering in the straight-ahead position. It doesn't pull strongly, but will drift slightly in the direction the wheels were facing when the car was parked.

I've always put this down to a quirk of the car and make sure I park with the front wheels straight-ahead!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Upmeister said:
If I park with the steering lock on it will pull in that direction when I next drive the car - until I park with the steering in the straight-ahead position. It doesn't pull strongly, but will drift slightly in the direction the wheels were facing when the car was parked.

I've always put this down to a quirk of the car and make sure I park with the front wheels straight-ahead!

I have found this, but I have also found it to just do it randomly, on parking the car straight, and sometimes to just start mid - drive!

·
Registered
304 Posts
JackDavies this is not good, I have felt this a couple of times with my up too. A guy with one down the sailing club is now on his third replacement up! because of this issue a friend has told me.

I would just warn you that filming yourself driving at 80 mph on UK roads is actually evidence of the fact that you are speeding.

I also hope that your other half/ friend was holding the phone (presume it was a phone by the format ratio of the video) to film your steering problem ,as just having your phone in your hand whilst driving now is also an offence too.

Just a couple of heads ups, be safe... Don't want to add to your pain... Sorry...Edited by: Markmod1

·
Registered
13 Posts
Markmod1 said:
I would just warn you that filming yourself driving at 80 mph on UK roads is actually evidence of the fact that you are speeding.
I also hope that your other half/ friend was holding the phone (presume it was a phone by the format ratio of the video) to film your steering problem ,as just having your phone in your hand whilst driving now is also an offence too. Just a couple of heads ups, be safe... Don't want to add to your pain... Sorry...
Captioning that you have hands off the wheel at 80mph on a motorway?

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
Markmod1 said:
I also hope that your other half/ friend was holding the phone (presume it was a phone by the format ratio of the video) to film your steering problem ,as just having your phone in your hand whilst driving now is also an offence too.
Not if it was being used as a video camera. The offence is using a device for making or receiving information [be it a call, text or e-mail] whilst driving.

Jimmy Carr got off a mobile phone charge because his lawyer proved that he was using the phone for dictation, not interacting with it on a phone call.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/howaboutthat/6350399/Jimmy-Carr-cleared-of-using-mobile-while-driving.html

·
Registered
587 Posts
shakotanVIP said:
Markmod1 said:
Not if it was being used as a video camera. The offence is using a device for making or receiving information [be it a call, text or e-mail] whilst driving.

Jimmy Carr got off a mobile phone charge because his lawyer proved that he was using the phone for dictation, not interacting with it on a phone call.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/howaboutthat/6350399/Jimmy-Carr-cleared-of-using-mobile-while-driving.html

Still could be classed as dangerous driving or driving without due care an attention, same as when people have been charged for driving whilst eating or applying makeup. In the above the lawyer used a loophole and the police did not provide enoughevidenceother than he was using a hand held device.

Back on topic, not had any pull issues on my up!, had the oddnoisefrom the gearbox and like some on here, I ambeginningto wonder if it is the flywheel, steering feels fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts