Up Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have issues with the driver's seat? I have a Take up, and I got severe discomfort due to the complete lack of back support. I bought a lumbar cushion, and it helps, but the seat is not comfortable, not like my old Ford Ka, or even any other car that I have driven. The VW Polo loan car I had was very comfortable. I might try a cushion on the seat in case there is a height issue. I am average build, about 5 foot 11 inches, 12 stone. If I drive the up to work - 30 miles - without a cushion, I get slight nausea that last throughout the day, and discomfort in my shoulders and neck. There really is no support from the seat.

·
Registered
59 Posts
i got that a little bit when i had an extended test drive. kind of put me off them abit. personally i think vw went for form over function, as the seats look ace but there not as comfy as you think. my dads clio has thecomfiestseats ive sat in, some recaro buckets. there brilliant :p

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
i havent got mine yet, but when i test drove, they seemed alot more comfortable than my current polo, altho it is very old...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Did you try to adjust it in the height?I dunno if it's a High up thing to be able to do that, but I found that adjusting the height makes a huge difference on long trips.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
David M said:
Did you try to adjust it in the height?I dunno if it's a High up thing to be able to do that, but I found that adjusting the height makes a huge difference on long trips.
The Take Up seats do not have height adjustment. However, this morning I moved the seat forward more than I thought usual, and it made a significant difference. It could be that there is a deeper footwell than my old Ford Ka, so you sit closer to the dashboard.

I find it hard to believe VW would create seats that were uncomfortable for most drivers, so I am hoping it is simply a seat position issue.

·
Registered
655 Posts
The seats in my High up! are ace....supportive and very comfortable.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm finding the seats very comfortable too, although being not very tall I have it adjusted to the highest possible, and quite well forward.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought I'd better update this given that potential buyers might read the thread.

Moving the seat forward, and tilting it back more, has made a significant difference. Not prefect, but not uncomfortable. And it might break in a bit. Also the new car smell is going and that makes me feel a bit queasy. Not sure if anyone else dislikes that.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I'm told you can buy that "new car" smell in a spray can!

maybe your dealer has overdone it!

·
Registered
421 Posts
It could also be that the car can 'flutter' a little bit because of the 3 cylinder and doesn't tick over like a 4 cylinder x

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ZumbaQueen said:
It could also be that the car can 'flutter' a little bit because of the 3 cylinder and doesn't tick over like a 4 cylinder x
Interesting idea, but I don't think that is the cause. My car's engine is very sweet, very smooth. I am a bit sensitive to chemical smells, which is why I wonder about the new car smell.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I know what you mean, the Fox smelt of fish (cheap glue I suspect) but the Polo was better but I had to drive for a week with the window cracked a bit x

·
Registered
144 Posts
i tend to lik new car smell i it as real leather too but not sure about the up! i had to leave the window open

1 - 13 of 13 Posts