Up Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking of replacing my second car with an UP but am so undecided!!!I have an 8 yr old mk 5 golf tdi with 93k miles and rust starting on the wings so its time to go.
I have a mk 6 golf tdi so I have a car for space and motorways and now need a wee run around.
I cant decide between a new take up or a used polo 70ps.
I am thinking of a tornado red to match my tornado red golf, in take trim with comfort pack.
Please convince me people and stop me procrastinating all day long.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I don't have my up yet, but I believe the boot space of the up with the seats down is almost the same as a polo.
Plus the up has cheaper insurance and tax.
I do like the polo, but as you, I have a golf as the main car. I think the up will compliment it perfectly. The golf and polo are a little close to make a real difference for a run about.
Go test drive an up, and I think you will make your mind up quite quickly... Based on quality and running costs.

Ps, red all the way! That's the only way
Edited by: Rednaxela

·
Registered
198 Posts
I think the up is a great car, cheap insurance and low running costs.I haven't got mine yet, but it was an easy choice when comparing a replacement fiesta
60% of the time I am commuting and has only myself in the car, the remaining 40% there is a maximum of 3 in the car. For food shopping the boot looks large enough to take a weekly shop for 4.
But as I say I haven't got my up get, so I can only really comment once it arrives

·
Registered
553 Posts
Hello & Welcome to the forum thompss

Our son has a Polo & we have a Lupo, which is being swapped for the up!.
Our main reason for going for the up! was an economical one! hopefully 50+ mpg! plus its main use will be a 15 mile commute by my better half so why "go large" when small will do!.
As for model choice, we were going for the Move up! but by the time we had added all the bits & bobs to make the commute comfortable there didn't seem to be much price difference to the High up! but the choice of interior trim is far better!.

In the end its all about what you are wanting from the car so "the choice is yours"

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
welcome, i think everyone else has said it all!

book a test drive for both of them, see if you can do it on the same day, that way you can really compare!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Both the up and the polo are great cars. The up I would think would be a little cheaper to run. You can't really go wrong but as others have mentioned test drive both and see which you prefer. For me the up has a
Title more character - but it is personal choice.

·
Registered
235 Posts
HiyaI am trading in my 1.4 polo for the up only reason is,, I am now on my own will not be doing as many miles, need the mpg,low insurance and tax, also will be a very long time till I buy another and trust VW all the way....OH and also needs to look cool !! :))
Am/was very happy with my polo hope this is useful.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Welcome thompss.
We traded in a Skoda VRS for our red High Up last week looking to reduce our running costs.Saved £105 in car tax, over £100 in insurance andare getting close to double the mpg. We havetwo teenagersand was a bit worried about space but there is plenty inside. The boot is quite deceptive as it is deep - not tried a weekly shop yet!

The drive is great andfeels really safe- definately no regrets!!!!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Test drive both cars, decide which you prefer, and see what deals you can get.

Advantages of the Up include better mpg, lower road tax, shorter so easier to park, and it is surprisingly quiet inside at city speeds. I once tried to restart the engine, at lights, and eventually realised it was already going! Apparently the TakeUp has almost as much internal room as the Polo, and to be honest the Up has a surprising amount of space. Leg and head room in the back are ample for city journeys, and even longer, without the driver moving the seat forward into an uncomfortable position. And in my opinion the Up is really nice to drive, light precise steering, small turning circle, very perky engine, nice controls. And of course you get a 3 year warranty.

Disadvantages of the Up, well the TakeUp has manual wind windows, no air con, and no seat height adjustment. You could buy the TakeUp plus a 'pack' to get electric windows for example. It only has one external lock, which unlocks the boot. The passenger door must be unlocked from inside, assuming the base spec TakeUp. And the Up interior does not have the high class feel of the Polo interior, not that the Up is bad, in fact I think it is rather nice, just that the Polo really is the class leader in that respect.

Having done two 40 mile journeys today, I am really impressed with the Up, a lovely car. But I did like the Polo loan car.

·
Registered
144 Posts
there is alot o similarities between polo and golf however the up! feels completely different especially the dash layout and also th running cost is low on the up!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Hi Thompss, I traded in a Clio 100 TCE for my Up and don't regret it. Although the Up is 25bhp or so down in power, compared to my old car, I can't say it is a disadvantage. If anything, the Up is quicker off the mark than my Clio was.

I think the Up will be a better drive than the 70hp Polo and, as others have mentioned, is easier on the pocket.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts