Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had our up since last Monday and I love it.........trouble is..... the wife doesn't.

Originally I was part exchanging the wife's Aygo (auto), but whist waiting for the up, sold the Aygo to our daughter. Now the wife wants her Aygo back. As Luck would have it, our daughter does not get on too well with the clutchless manual in the Aygo, so we are buying it back from her.

We now have 3 cars!

In fairness the wife never even saw or drove an up until I brought ours home. I thought she would love it - same size/same size engine/same type of auto gearbox/same colour - but no, I cannot convince her.

She wants a car to get from A to B and does not care what it looks like. I thought I could use "its the same same type of car dear" excuse to get an up - not so it now seems.

Plan B - as a devoted car lover, I will use my own car (Skoda Yeti - which she also does not like), and the up. Next year I plan to order the up Gt and trade/sell the High up and Yeti.

Happy days!

Update: I do not like at all the too thin & too big steering wheel in the up - even though it is leather. More comments later in this thread.

Edited by: Truth-seeker

·
Registered
587 Posts
My wife is not overtly keen on the up! the brakes and the steering wheel are her major gripes.

Trouble is she has beenspoiltwith BMW's and various hot hatches and is so use to having a turbo engine forgets an N/A engine needs more revs to get going and an up! will not have and does not need the same braking as a moreperformanceorientated car. Maybe she will get on with a High up! if I change later on in the year.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ours is a white High up - maybe we could do a deal later in the year?
Trouble is I have always dealt with the cars in our household, and never usually consult the other half. Normally I get away with it as she only uses her car about once a week. On this occasion she is (has) put her foot down. Still, after 42 years of marriage I suppose I must relent this time.

·
Registered
462 Posts
jezyg said:
My wife is not overtly keen on the up! the brakes and the steering wheel are her major gripes.

Trouble is she has been spoilt with BMW's and various hot hatches and is so use to having a turbo engine forgets an N/A engine needs more revs to get going and an up! will not have and does not need the same braking as a more performance orientated car. Maybe she will get on with a High up! if I change later on in the year. 
What is wrong with brakes and steering ? I have lots of different BMW's and I think the up drive brilliant only thing that it could do with is a little more power that's where the up GT comes in

·
Registered
121 Posts
Might just be a wife thing; mine isn't a huge fan either!

Her main gripes are around the lack of remote key (I have offered to swap, even though the Up is nominally my car and the Merc hers), the size of the boot opening and the lack of one-touch on the windows.

We also bought ours without test drive as I hardly see the point with a new 'appliance' type car, but I doubt her grumbles would have been uncovered during a test drive anyway.

Edited by: juux

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh dear - 3 wives not happy and counting.

This is not the first car my wife has disliked. First there was theMercedes A Class - terrible driving position.

And second,my biggest ever folly in 43 years of driving -Mini Cooper S Works (JCW) Auto. Very rare to find an auto version (wife has to have autos), but with 230hp & rock hard ride, it was not a pleasurable experience. That meant it was disposed of with a £1000 loss after a month (it was a used one) - and I must admit that I was also glad to see the back of it.

Anyway, looks like the up it going to be my car after the Yeti goes. Until then, she is under wraps in the garage.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
My Mrs has driven everything from her GL320 Mercedes downwards and feels the up 5 door is a gem...she adores it!....perhaps I'm just lucky.....I could buy an up for what I poured into the tank of the GL....never less than £100 fill-up sheesh!...glad I saw sense.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Ian986 said:
jezyg said:

Trouble is she has beenspoiltwith BMW's and various hot hatches and is so use to having a turbo engine forgets an N/A engine needs more revs to get going and an up! will not have and does not need the same braking as a moreperformanceorientated car. Maybe she will get on with a High up! if I change later on in the year.
What is wrong with brakes and steering ? I have lots of different BMW's and I think the up drive brilliant only thing that it could do with is a little more power that's where the up GT comes in

Its not the steering system just the size of the steering wheel. As for the brakes I find them adequate, our old Leon was very sharp at the top of pedal travel, bit too sharp for me. Never found the brakes to be wanting on my up!, notice they are not quite as good at stopping if the car has four people in it though.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Ian986 said:
jezyg said:

Its not the steering system just the size of the wheel. She thinks it is fine as a city car but not so good for longer distance or as a family car. I find the up!s brakesadequate. I found the brakes on our Leon FR to be a little too sharp. I will say though that when carrying four people the up! does take a little more force on the brake pedal to stop.
Edited by: jezyg

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
At last, a fellow up owner whose wife dislikes the steering wheel like I do - too thin and too big.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jezyg said:
Ian986 said:
jezyg said:

Its not the steering system just the size of the wheel. She thinks it is fine as a city car but not so good for longer distance or as a family car. I find the up!s brakesadequate. I found the brakes on our Leon FR to be a little too sharp. I will say though that when carrying four people the up! does take a little more force on the brake pedal to stop.
At last someone else who dislikes the steering wheel - too thin and too big IMO.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Truth-seeker said:
At last, a fellow up owner whose wife dislikes the steering wheel like I do - too thin and too big.
I have a solution for part of your problem you can get the steering wheel re trimed with a nice leather which will make it fatter and more luxurious.

I nearly had mine done like a BMW m sport wheel which can get done for 150 ish

·
Registered
811 Posts
I really don't get that. Small and chunky is a better description of the steering wheel than big and thin........

No accounting for taste I suppose

·
Registered
261 Posts
Reading the previous comments and smiling/nodding at the trials & tribulations that the female species set before us, I have come to the conclusion that after 34yrs of trouble free motoring down the road of wedded bliss (sic) I found that the trick is to involve my 4'10" of pure venom in the test driving/choosing stage ;) With her rather shapely (just in case she reads this) yet shorter than average legs if the pedals/driving position in a car aint comfortable for her then its a no go despite all arguements pleadings or down right begging on my part (fair comment really tho eh?) Fortunately the Up! presented no problem and she liked it at first sight .. & after test drive she was hooked.I had to adapt the throttle pedal and sunvisor on her 500! Comfy driving position comes as standard in the Up! it seems and not as an optional extra!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Steering Wheel.

There was no Up ASG available when we ordered so a test drive was not possible. Yes, I did sit in an Up in the showroom with the standard plastic wheel (no High Up available), and was hoping that the High up's leather one would be thicker. I am hoping to order the up GT when available, but if it is fitted with the same wheel, then that could well deter me. We have owned the latest Polo and the leather wheel in that was superb.
The High up's wheel is already covered in leather, but the brilliant leather s/wheel in my Yeti is a smaller diameter than the ups, and a darn site thicker. As I have said before, the up wheel reminds me of the horrible thin plasticky "Quartic" (squared) wheel in my Austin Allegro I owned in the 70's (Google "Quartic" steering wheel for Austin Allegro to see what I mean).

Sorry to disagree, but as a complete and utter petrol head with over 100 cars owned since 1969 (from Minis to Impreza Turbos), I know what I like in the feel of a steering wheel. It is only when you have been driving a new car for a while, that you get a feel for it and it's little niggles.

Anyway, I am investigating whether another VW sourced "sports" s/wheel can be fitted, as I imagine that the air bag connector is standard across VW cars. Trouble is finding the right wheel without any radio controls incorporated.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Truth-seeker said:

......... I am hoping to order the up GT when available, but if it is fitted with the same wheel, then that could well deter me.

Whilst I completely respect your right to your own opinion, I can hardly believe that you would let a dislike for the steering wheel deter you from buying the up GT

·
Registered
121 Posts
Truth-seeker said:
jezyg said:
Ian986 said:
jezyg said:

At last someone else who dislikes the steering wheel - too thin and too big IMO.

I agree, the last time I used a steering wheel as weedy as the Up's was in a 1980s Micra.

C130 USX where are you now?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ecksile said:
Truth-seeker said:

......... I am hoping to order the up GT when available, but if it is fitted with the same wheel, then that could well deter me.

Whilst I completely respect your right to your own opinion, I can hardly believe that you would let a dislike for the steering wheel deter you from buying the up GT
In reality it probably would not, I was just making a point. I hope though, that VW put a nice Audi sports type wheel on to compliment the sporting nature of the car. Back in the day (before air bags), the first thing I always did was to replace the steering wheel for a small leather after-market one.

Sad I know, but........... "you pays your money and you take your choice!"

·
Registered
176 Posts
Truth-seeker said:
Back in the day (before air bags), the first thing I always did was to replace the steering wheel for a small leather after-market one.

Sad I know, but........... "you pays your money and you take your choice!"

Ha! So did I. Every Mini (original one's), straight off with the factory steering wheel then off with a mate to a local parts shop. It was easy then, basically just one bolt to undo and replace with a nice thick-rimmed one, smaller the better (10" diameter?). Used to love it, hard work manoeuvring it though with no power steering.

After the wheel, it was always change standard exhaust for a LCB (long centre branch) version.

How times have changed!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts