Up Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was checking the software within the car and noticed I'm on version 7378. I don't know if this is the latest version or not, does anyone know where to check for further updates/versions?

·
Registered
987 Posts
I guess you are talking just about the radio, not something reported via ODBII, so I'll check mine tomorrow (2019 but recently serviced)

·
Registered
987 Posts
"I was checking the software within the car and noticed I'm on version 7378"

My version is 7338, but that's on a Citigo (Radio # 1ST035869A, H/W 070, BT C140), so it's hard to know if that is relevant to your own car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"I was checking the software within the car and noticed I'm on version 7378"

My version is 7338, but that's on a Citigo (Radio # 1ST035869A, H/W 070, BT C140), so it's hard to know if that is relevant to your own car.
Thanks for having a look. I don't know how to tell which radio I have like you've managed to find out. I'm just wondering if there is a way to update the software. There is a button when in that menu which allows you to update.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I would think it's a dealer thing, using their VAG computer link, or maybe the firmware can be updated from a USB stick, but I doubt you can get new firmware through any other source than a dealer... The upload may be dependent on some kind of code or key number.

The big question with updating any firmware is always "what problem are you trying to solve?" New fimware won't necessarily include any bug fixes or new features. A new verion may be a change owing to a new revision of hardware, or to do with connection to other changed subsystems, none of which may be relevant to your car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There could be multiple reasons for a firmware update. I would have thought that if it was for the dealer using VAG. There is an update button on the radio, and when pressed it asks to insert SD Card with firmware. It looks like this is a public facing feature and not just one for the dealer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh OK.... But what benefits were you expecting?
More responsiveness - when changing to tracks or selecting albums there's noticeable lag. It would be nice if the text/title of a song Ould scroll so you know what you're listening to rather than "Bob Dylan - Love..." that would be helpful.

·
Registered
987 Posts
More responsiveness
I think all similar devices have very slow, low-cost CPUs and memory. Not to mention that accessing SD cards to read folder contents, file content or metadata is inherently extremely slow.... So my guess is there won't be a software solution for that.....

The text scrolling could be added, but it's what they call a 'feature request', and not a bug. Of course, it's car industry we're talking about, so feature requests for software on radios will be ignored. I imagine all dev work on the software was archived years ago!

There may be radios that can fitted that are far better, but I imagine it's a right pain integrating them into the overall car 'eco-system'....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After I bought the R-Line which is the what might be considered the second best in class to the GTi I wasn't then looking to upgrade the radio, but maybe software update it. When I seen there was a public facing option to do so.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts