Up Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As an owner of a 2011 Smart Fortwo Turbo, I've just ordered an up! for my business. In this review I will point out some of the pros and cons of both cars.
FUEL CONSUMPTION

2011 Smart Fortwo Turbo 62kw - advertised 4.9l/100km
I've had the car for about a year now and had done 27,000km on it. I do 60% highway and 40% city driving, on average I get 6.2l/100km which is not even close to the advertised figure.

2013 Up! 55kwz - advertised 4.9l/100km
On the test drive, I drove in total of 13km and the car had a total of 34km on it, unfortunately the demo vehicle did not have Maps & More so I have no idea what the REAL fuel consumption is but only hoping its close to the advertised figure because I liked it so much and ordered one.

POWER & DRIVABILITY

2011 Smart Fortwo Turbo 62kw
This car isalot quicker to get to 50km/h compared to the up!, the down side is that it's equiped with an automated 5 speed manual so it does not shift fast, if you floor it you will also smell clutch!

2013 Up! 55kwz
Car picks up speed smoothly but to be honest I can definately feel a lack of power, torque to be precise compared to the Smart Fortwo Turbo. The gear box is smooth and easy to shift and can be shifted quickly without burning the clutch.

BUILT QUALITY

2011 Smart Fortwo Turbo 62kw
It's better than your average jap car however it's not like Mercedes Benz quality like you would expect because its made by them. This particular Smart is about a year old and I've already gone back for warranty for a couple of small things, I had a 2008 version before this and that was the biggest lemon, luckily I had factory warranty.

2013 Up! 55kwz
I was very impressed with the built quality, one of the reasons why I brought it as a second company car even though I was not satisfied with the power output. The interior built qulity is on par with my 08 Audi TT, its got even gaps between pannels, plastic does not feel cheap like a Daewoo or a Hyundai. Stereo is decent, leather feels better quality than the ones in the Smart.

CONCLUSION

Despite that I can complain about the Smart car all day because its not built like a mercedes benz and is not that economical like its advertised its still a really nice little car and I would definately buy another one provided it has factory warranty. The Up! compared to the Smart Fortwo Turbo is definately underpowered but I feel I can live with it better on a daily basis with its extra space, better built quality etc. I just wish the Up! had maybe 20Nm of extra torque! then it would be perfect in every way! After test driving the up! I ordered mine which is due to arrive mid November. Yes, in the short 30min time I was convinced that I definately want one, its really that good. A friend of mine just brought a 2012 Polo GTI, the Up! is on par quality wise in everyway.

I will post a update of this once I get my hands on my Up! because everyone knows its going to be hard to achieve numbers provided by the factory because not all of us drive the same etc.

Hope this provided you guys with a bit of a comparison because all the reviews I read before all talks about the actual car but no one has compared it to any other car as an owner.

·
Registered
587 Posts
The Smart will feel quicker due to having a turbo, the Up! feels more lively higher up the rev range. Is the same with an N/A petrol engine of the same power as a derv, the derv gives that shot of torque which makes it feel quicker over a smaller rev band, whereas the N/A engine is more linear and relies on the gearbox and higher revs to give it's best. Beinterestingto see what they are actually like against the clock? The smart has more power but then the gearbox fitted saps some of that power.
Edited by: jezyg

·
Registered
47 Posts
Quoted 0-60mph time for the Smart is around 13 seconds. Reviews suggest the Smart feels quick up to 40mph because of its gearing but take it on the highway and it is suggested it is out of its depth.
A comparison of the 50-70mph times would be interesting.

The up! on the motorway feels entirely comfortable (in my view anyway).

Setting aside build quality the Smart may be the better pure city car but the up! appears to be the better all rounder.

vup rider

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, well I've currently got 2 smart fortwo turbos, a 2008, and a 2011 model. With the power delivery being linear or not aside, the Smart fortwo turbo (1L turbo 62kw) is definitely quicker to 100kph and I've actually timed the smart with a quarter mile timer and did 9.8s to 100kph on a winter day in Melbourne aprrox 12C.

I'm currently waiting for a 3rd city run about for my business, the up! And I have to say I'm excited! Hopefully the up! Is more reliable than the 2008 built smart, I had airbag sensor fail on that car, aircon stopped blowing cold air, and one most important reason I didn't buy another one is because Mercedes Benz servicing department is an absolute pain in the ass to deal with!!!

I guess where the up! Wins against the Smart fortwo turbo is basically everything apart from acceleration.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I agree...

·
Registered
432 Posts
Thanks, BMfanatic.
I used to have a Smart. Nice and nippy in town, a little too much fore-aft pitch over speed bumps (short wheelbase), and with a slow-shifting automated manual gearbox. It was quick, though

If they offered it with a manual gearbox it would be better. The all-new model is due out in 2014, which may be better.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I part ex'ed my 2010 smart fortwo cabrio, which was fully loaded. it was great but had its flaws.
After 1100 miles in the up! there is no comparison.

UP wins hands down!!!

·
Registered
587 Posts
bmfanatic said:
HOW DO WE UPLOAD PHOTOS HERE???

You need to have them hosted on a site like Photobucket and then insert the IMG code from the site into your post.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts