Up Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been looking through a few remapping sites and have seen a company that will remap a 90 to 130bhp,
Now I'm not sure what extras are done to the new gt engine but surely they cannot be that far apart from the 90? I understand you probably get uprated brakes and lovely decals but does it Warren the price?

·
Registered
351 Posts
I'm planning on a remap, 130bhp should be fun.
The chassis and brakes are OK, it's light weight and short wheel base can make it jittery if you hit bumps mid corner though.
The GTi does have some engine mods but it's pretty much the same engine. The 6 speed gearbox, imho, is a marketing thing rather than a useful addition.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ed463 said:
The chassis and brakes are OK, it's light weight and short wheel base can make it jittery if you hit bumps mid corner though.
The GTi does have some engine mods but it's pretty much the same engine. The 6 speed gearbox, imho, is a marketing thing rather than a useful addition.

Exactly what mods does the GTI engine have? How does it differ from the 90bhp tsi?

·
Registered
351 Posts
malte said:
Ed463 said:

Exactly what mods does the GTI engine have? How does it differ from the 90bhp tsi?
I'm convinced that I'd read about some modifications such as different injectors and turbo. But I'm now not sure. The power increase is modest so maybe I'm mistaken. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who knows!Edited by: Ed463

·
Registered
479 Posts
A lot of these re-maps only give you more horsepower at the top end of the rev range, often by increasing the maximum rpm. Fine for impressive figures on paper , but not so good for road driving. You need to see the power and torque graphs to see where the extra power and torque is being delivered over the whole rpm range.

·
Registered
59 Posts
John H said:
A lot of these re-maps only give you more horsepower at the top end of the rev range, often by increasing the maximum rpm. Fine for impressive figures on paper , but not so good for road driving. You need to see the power and torque graphs to see where the extra power and torque is being delivered over the whole rpm range.
That is true fornatural aspiration engines, but not for turbo engines. And the 90bhp engine is a turbo engine.

Edited by: PallMei

·
Registered
479 Posts
PallMei said:
John H said:
That is true fornatural aspiration engines, but not for turbo engines. And the 90bhp engine is a turbo engine.

Agreed, but I'm not sure it's that simple. Re-mapping covers a lot of ground, and as with most things in life you get what you pay for. I am particularly suspicious of the "piggy back" add on chips, which promise power increases for next to nothing.

·
Registered
351 Posts
John H said:
PallMei said:
John H said:
A lot of these re-maps only give you more horsepower at the top end of the rev range, often by increasing the maximum rpm. Fine for impressive <span style="display: inline !imant; : none; : rgb255, 255, 255; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 16.8px; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-trans: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;">figures on </span>paper , but not so good for road driving. You need to see the power and torque graphs to see where the extra power and torque is being delivered over the whole rpm range. 
That is true for natural aspiration engines, but not for turbo engines. And the 90bhp engine is a turbo engine.
Agreed, but I'm not sure it's that simple. Re-mapping covers a lot of ground, and as with most things in life you get what you pay for. I am particularly suspicious of the "piggy back" add on chips, which promise power increases for next to nothing.
Yes, they're complete junk. You either get no increase or they simply fool the engine into over fuelling.
I've had my Sprinter Camper van remapped by Celtic Tuning, very pleased. 230bhp and around 500Nm. But best of all improved flexibility, it just pulls and pulls from around 1600rpm. Slightly better economy as well, but nothing like the claims
Edited by: Ed463

·
Registered
619 Posts
Seb1971 said:
Just been looking through a few remapping sites and have seen a company that will remap a 90 to 130bhp,
Now I'm not sure what extras are done to the new gt engine but surely they cannot be that far apart from the 90? I understand you probably get uprated brakes and lovely decals but does it Warren the price?

I hope anyone who remaps their 90hp -> 130 gets a big fire extinguisher as part of the upgrade - they may need it. Why not just buy a car that has the power and performance you need/want, instead of taking a potentially expensive and disastrous shortcut?
Cars, and modified cars in particular, are a sure way of turning a large amount of cash to a small amount, in a short time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Would that not be the exact same for the gti that seems to be basically a remapped 90 with a six speed box?

·
Registered
351 Posts
luckyjimmy said:
Seb1971 said:

I hope anyone who remaps their 90hp -> 130 gets a big fire extinguisher as part of the upgrade - they may need it. Why not just buy a car that has the power and performance you need/want, instead of taking a potentially expensive and disastrous shortcut?
 Cars, and modified cars in particular, are a sure way of turning a large amount of cash to a small amount, in a short time. 
There's literally thousands of remapped cars out there performing perfectly well, reliability and with no issues, often with fewer issues than standard vehicles.
Equally there's literally thousands of non remapped cars that self destruct or have multiple issues.
A
Single biggest issue? The driver, all depends on how it's used/maintained.Edited by: Ed463

·
Registered
619 Posts
Seb1971 said:
Would that not be the exact same for the gti that seems to be basically a remapped 90 with a six speed box?
When the manufacturer does this, you get a car with a guarantee. When you do the remap, your guarantee goes up in smoke. A 90hp car that is remapped will still be under warranty so, good luck getting it repaired if there is an issue.

If your car is out of warranty, you can of course do what you like (depends on how risk averse you are). I know from experience how much money modified cars can soak up i.e. that remap can lead to bigger brakes, suspension mods etc. It is easy to get carried away.

My point was that, for the average guy or gal in the street, you can spend a lot of cash for little return in performance (usually the car is worse to drive as a consequence). Perhaps a car designed and built for that higher level of performance (by a manufacturer who has spent millions on development and testing) would be a better option.

·
Registered
351 Posts
luckyjimmy said:
Seb1971 said:
When the manufacturer does this, you get a car with a guarantee. When you do the remap, your guarantee goes up in smoke.  A 90hp car that is remapped will still be under warranty so, good luck getting it repaired if there is an issue.

If your car is out of warranty, you can of course do what you like (depends on how risk averse you are). I know from experience how much money modified cars can soak up i.e. that remap can lead to bigger brakes, suspension mods etc. It is easy to get carried away.

My point was that, for the average guy or gal in the street, you can spend a lot of cash for little return in performance (usually the car is worse to drive as a consequence). Perhaps a car designed and built for that higher level of performance (by a manufacturer who has spent millions on development and testing) would be a better option. 

[5DIV]
I do agree with lots you've said. I've driven some modified cars that are absolute dogs to drive.
Re. The warranty. Yes, maybe. A lot of dealer diagnostics can't tell. Who knows with VW.
A remap, assuming it's done correctly and has been tested, generally improves drivability. I.E. my Sprinter Camper van. Standard it's 184bhp bug the exact same engine in other Merc vehicles is around 260bhp. So my remap to 230bhp is conservative. And of course it's a van
so I didn't do this to go fast!! But it's so much better to drive normally, and around a 2mpg improvement. It's also removed some known issues with that particular engine.
So for the average Joe Public who just wants to get from a to b, yep I agree why both.
But for me some mild and targeted improvements,why not? But to turn it into some sort of lowered, spoilered piece of junk. No.
I am with you on comment about keeping things standard actually. I know I'm contradicting myself
Edited by: Ed463

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi - I'm about to embark on Up! ownership with a High Up! TSi, after researching the remapping potential, and it appears as though the 90bhp version will map to the same figure as the GTi, which suggests to me that it is pretty much just a de-tuned version of the same engine, but without the 6-speed box

I might be new to VW, but not the VAG group, having had numerous Skodas, and having become a 'serial modder'

Comments above suggesting they can't understand why people modify cars and should just buy a higher spec or powerful car quite frankly astound me

I accept we are all different, and some people do and some people don't, but as soon as mine is run in I'll most likely be off to a reputable tuner to have it Upped to 130bhp with lots more torques

·
Registered
298 Posts
The GTI engine has the same capacity, number of cylinders and camshafts. Otherwise, it is very different. It has, for example a different turbocharger and , I believe, injectors. Tuning the TSI to 130 BHP is likely to be disappointing. I haven't yet heard of one that puts out less than 105 BHP stock at the wheels - more than 120 at the flywheel. They are silly quick but if you want it faster, spend the money on some better dampers instead and keep a close eye on the tyre pressures which make a big difference to its grip. Traction trumps power in an Up! 'cos they don't stick as well as some others I could mention.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi - I'm about to embark on Up! ownership with a High Up! TSi, after researching the remapping potential, and it appears as though the 90bhp version will map to the same figure as the GTi, which suggests to me that it is pretty much just a de-tuned version of the same engine, but without the 6-speed box

I might be new to VW, but not the VAG group, having had numerous Skodas, and having become a 'serial modder'

Comments above suggesting they can't understand why people modify cars and should just buy a higher spec or powerful car quite frankly astound me

I accept we are all different, and some people do and some people don't, but as soon as mine is run in I'll most likely be off to a reputable tuner to have it Upped to 130bhp with lots more torques

You won't be disappointed with with your TSi once you take possession, and despite what others say you certainly won't be disappointed with increasing it to 130bhp. Which is exactly what I did with mine, in standard form all the TSi's put out an average of +/- 105bhp so you would see an increase of around 25bhp. mine puts out 131bhp with 192nm of torque which makes it so much nicer to drive being so much more tractable, plus in my case I gained around a 6-mpg saving in fuel which for me was the primary reason in the first place. Good luck with your new car, you'll love it. :wink:

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
The TSi has much softer suspension than the GTi so a remapped engine may overwhelm the chassis.

I’d drive the TSi for a while before remapping the engine, in standard tune it’s pretty lively and well balanced.

But as suggested above, if you decide a remap is needed it should go hand in hand with upgraded springs/dampers.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts