Up Owners Club banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
The GTI engine has the same capacity, number of cylinders and camshafts. Otherwise, it is very different. It has, for example a different turbocharger and , I believe, injectors. Tuning the TSI to 130 BHP is likely to be disappointing. I haven't yet heard of one that puts out less than 105 BHP stock at the wheels - more than 120 at the flywheel. They are silly quick but if you want it faster, spend the money on some better dampers instead and keep a close eye on the tyre pressures which make a big difference to its grip. Traction trumps power in an Up! 'cos they don't stick as well as some others I could mention.
What do you suggest pressure wise?

·
Registered
298 Posts
I don't have a GTI but had a TSI. Experiment. If you know how it should feel you will find out fast enough. If you don't, then leave it as VW suggest.

·
Registered
192 Posts
since there is alot off non fact here.
all the 115bhp 1.0 tsi has sodium filled exhaust valve´s(and stronger piston´s), the gti hast the same size turbo the diff. is the exhaust housing is bigger to lower the exhaust temp. due to it having a partikel filter.

with that said the 90bhp tsi will handel the extra power from a chip just fine(iff you maintain it properly )
ps. i have had my 90bhp since 2/-18 and tried my buddy´s gti and it´s just alot more fun with the lower total gearing it has
regards
Sören

·
Registered
1 Posts
You won't be disappointed with with your TSi once you take possession, and despite what others say you certainly won't be disappointed with increasing it to 130bhp. Which is exactly what I did with mine, in standard form all the TSi's put out an average of +/- 105bhp so you would see an increase of around 25bhp. mine puts out 131bhp with 192nm of torque which makes it so much nicer to drive being so much more tractable, plus in my case I gained around a 6-mpg saving in fuel which for me was the primary reason in the first place. Good luck with your new car, you'll love it. :wink:

I am thinking of adding a tuning box to my TSi. I would be very interested to know which sensors the DTUK box connects to.

Thanks!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am thinking of adding a tuning box to my TSi. I would be very interested to know which sensors the DTUK box connects to.

Thanks!
Hi jwhitwor007, off the top of my head I can't tell you exactly which of the sensors the box is connected to, I fitted my box over 12-months ago and my memory isn't what it was.!!! :surprise:

If you need to know I will try and find the box with the fitting instructions in to be absolutely certain.

What I can tell you is there are three sensor connections all of which have VW oem connectors to make it easy to fit, just plug and play so to speak.

First off it's a lot easier if you remove the air filter box to give you better access, I found that the best way to fit the sensor loom is to start at the back of the engine, left hand side as viewed from the front, to connect the first sensor, the second is at the back on the right hand side and the third is at the front middle to right hand side.

At the end of the loom there is a large plug which plugs into the box which I fitted to the front of the battery on the right hand side with some zip ties keeping it in place job done.

Now despite all the warnings that the car won't be able to handle all the extra power or it will catch fire, blow up or whatever just take it from me it's all total bullshit, both the handling and the braking are well enough up to the job and the car is so much nicer to drive with the extra torque available, and it's pretty quick there isn't a lot out there in the same class that can live with it + I get around an average extra 6 to 7 mpg . :smile:

I done over 10,000 miles now with the box fitted and I can thoroughly recommend it.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
The TSi engine will easily handle a bit of extra power.
You are eating into the safety margins by remapping but as long as the car is serviced and driven sensibly it will most likely last 100,000 miles or more.
Just make sure you tell your insurance. Nowadays it more often than not won’t increase your premium, but if you don’t tell them, they may not pay out if you have an accident

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hi

Now despite all the warnings that the car won't be able to handle all the extra power or it will catch fire, blow up or whatever just take it from me it's all total bullshit, both the handling and the braking are well enough up to the job and the car is so much nicer to drive with the extra torque available, and it's pretty quick there isn't a lot out there in the same class that can live with it + I get around an average extra 6 to 7 mpg . :smile:

I done over 10,000 miles now with the box fitted and I can thoroughly recommend it.
I second that:smile:
Ours is remapped to about 131bhp. Really transformed the car and I like the "sleeper" look of the High UP.
I'm certainly not losing any sleep over the reliability (I drive it quickly but sympathetically) or the suspension/brakes. I may up rate the suspension at some point but I've got other projects that are shredding money at the moment :crying::grin:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have remapped my up tsi to 130bhp using Celtic tuning and it has a huge performance increase. I'm getting more turbo noise also and I can now feel when the boost is kicking in. I would recommend getting the remap.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The ol' TSI Vs GTI thing was only hashed out a couple of weeks ago 😴🙄

The GTI is different...and overpriced.

·
Super Moderator
1,561 Posts
The ol' TSI Vs GTI thing was only hashed out a couple of weeks ago 😴🙄

The GTI is different...and overpriced.

Overpriced now, maybe. Overpriced three years ago when listed at the original pricing - probably not.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Overpriced now, maybe. Overpriced three years ago when listed at the original pricing - probably not.
Oh yeah 100% agree. Luckily I got in one on the first wave in 2018/19 so wasn't stung but to be honest all prices have gone up in recent years so even at 18k it's probably still reasonably competitive.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts