Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a week 36 up order - but went car shopping today for the mrs. We had a look at the mii and although the dashboard was lovely oh dear the boot is where the money has been saved. No lip level floor as on the up. Also no seat height adjustment. So pleased with my choice!
Edited by: AlanG

·
Registered
587 Posts
AlanG said:
I have a week 36 up order - but went car shopping today for the mrs. We had a look at the mii and although the dashboard was lovely oh dear the boot is where the money has been saved. No lip level floor as on the up. Also no seat height adjustment. So pleased with my choice!

Same if you buy a standard Take Up! thought the Mii and Sport had both as standard only the S and S A/C being the bobby base model does without either?

·
Registered
265 Posts
And the dual level boot can be retro-fitted to both the Mii and the Citigo for about £70 so not really that big a saving

·
Registered
98 Posts
AlanG said:

Well the seat height on my Mii definitely adjusts. It says so on page 51 of the manual and I just went out to check I wasn't imagining it!

I'd agree the boot has a little too much bare metal for my liking, although I don't spend a lot of time looking at it! :) I didn't really get the point of the dual height thing in the up! - the boot is so small that it didn't seem necessary. I hadn't realised it could be retrofitted so easily, although that does explain some of the fixtures on the side of the Mii boot.

·
Registered
235 Posts
The up! / Mii / Citigo debate will run and run, with everyone justifying (to themselves at least) that they made the right choice for the right reasons.

IMHO this is because it is the first time the Volkswagen group have had versions of the same car available across 3 brands.

Having looked at all three and the up! vs. Citigo in particular, I felt there was some evidence of small cost cutting throughout the Citigo to offset some of the price difference. On the other hand there is a price premium applied to the up! because of the badge on the front. The Mii was somewhere in the middle - as was it's price, unsurprisingly.

As all three are fundamentally the same, I guess it is down to which one appeals most to the individual, for whatever reason(s). However, I'm not sure that the initial cost saving on the Citigo and Mii will be transformed into a lower overall cost of ownership over the long term - when residual values etc. are taken into account - so for me price wasn't at the top of my list of priorities.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Zigster said:
AlanG said:

Well the seat height on my Mii definitely adjusts. It says so on page 51 of the manual and I just went out to check I wasn't imagining it!

I'd agree the boot has a little too much bare metal for my liking, although I don't spend a lot of time looking at it! :) I didn't really get the point of the dual height thing in the up! - the boot is so small that it didn't seem necessary. I hadn't realised it could be retrofitted so easily, although that does explain some of the fixtures on the side of the Mii boot.

The split boot option is great - means we can have 2 layers of heavy shopping bags in without anything getting crushed.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I found it very useful on my trip to Norfolk, as I could keep the microphone in its windshield, tripod, sound recorder and cameras at the lowest level, and have my clothes, washing kit, walking boots, coats, etc. on the top layer. I used the passenger footwell for a 30 metre reel of microphone cable (and I did actually manage to use it!). I'll have to plan things differently if I want to carry my large rucksack with the 5x4 camera in it, but I'll come to that when it arrises. Could I be trying to get too much in the boot?

I must see if I can get another boot protector for the lower level, as the one on top is very useful.

Nick

·
Registered
112 Posts
Does the variable boot floor thingy still work when you have a spare wheel? If so, I might look into having it fitted to my Citigo, as I though it was quite nifty.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Yes, it does as there's a carpet and a piece of board covering the well for the spare wheel. If you didn't have the spare, the wheel well could be used as further storage space, with a suitable lining. Or is it filled up with a polystyrene holder for the tyre inflation kit?

Nick

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks for that, definitely something to think about then. Yes I think the puncture repair kit does take up quite a bit of space in the well.

·
Registered
367 Posts
There's still a reasonable bit of room down there with the repair kit.

·
Registered
98 Posts
If the polystyrene think in the spare wheel well is the same in the up! as in the Mii then thereare plenty of useful little cubby holes in it for bits and pieces. I keep my inclement weather kit down there - hand-wound torch, foil blanket, small tub of road salt, .... Plus spare lead for the dog, bags for <ahem>, ... . Can you tell I was a Scout?

I've got a bigger car for when there is a lot of luggage plus that nice manMr Ocado delivers my groceries, so that's probably why I can't see a use for the luggage floor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
bazves said:
And the dual level boot can be retro-fitted to both the Mii and the Citigo for about £70 so not really that big a saving

If you're still following this thread, bazves,would you mindgiving a bit more info on where you get that figure from, please?

I am guessing maybe from your Seat dealer?

I have a Citigo and would be very interested in having the dual-level boot floor fitted, but as far as I am aware, there is no "official" way of doing this at the moment.

I'm hoping I'm wrong though!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, I can feel a "losing thewill to live" visit tomy nearest VW dealer's parts department coming on when I next visit the big city.

But from bazves's post, I was wondering if someone had either put together a "kit" of the right parts to order, or better still was fitting them for £70.

Thanks for the advice, GunSpeed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've noted that Seat do a sports version of the Mii with the more powerful engine, sports suspensionand bigger rims as standard for around £10k. Those who have sporting aspirations but who don't want to stretch to the High Up! with the sports option may want to consider this Seat model.
Same car ornota SEAT is not a VW though.

And the Up! 3 door styling forme sets it apart from the pack.

vup driver

·
Registered
265 Posts
@Countrigo - I haven't as yet done the upgrade myself, since I don't have my car yet, but it is something I'll be doing.

The source of my figure was a post on a German Seat forum. A member there successfully fitted the dual boot floor into the Mii. As GunSpeed correctly pointed out it was VW OEM parts that were sourced to do the upgrade. I'll try and dig the link out later (I'm at work at the moment and the link is on my home PC). Its in German ofc, but google translate worked well enough. The thread contained the price of the parts (about 90 Euros) and the part number themselves - assuming these are universal (i.e. not different country to country) you should just be able to quote the numbers to you local VW parts department. I guessed the sterling equivalent, I don't know if the price of parts vary greatly on the continent

·
Registered
265 Posts
Google Fu saved the day. Heres the post in question...

http://www.seatforum.de/forum/showthread.php?t=303491

If you view the link using google translate you can see it in English (although not a perfect translation it is perfectly unstandable). Here are the part numbers in question

1S0 858831F 82V shooting left ‚¬ 8.33
1S0 858832F 82V recording right ‚¬ 8.33
1S0 858855D 1BS cargo floor ‚¬ 70.21
N 91026802 screws (6x) 4.14 ‚¬

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thank you, bazves - that will be great information to have.

Poster malcster on the Briskoda Citigo forum has kindly put upsome pages from the Ekta (?) VW catalogue which has an exploded view of the parts, but it's not 100% clear (at least to a simpleton like me!) as to exactly which ones and how many are needed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Oops, bazves: your second post hit the thread while I was still replying to the first.

Thanks very much for the link which I will read with interest. I am sure that on the Ekta (?)diagram there appeared to be some sort of fillet that went between the main bracket and the wheelarch, but maybe that's a misinterpretation.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts