Up Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Scratchy Scratchy!..........me no like auto car washes......It's so small you could do it in the sink on bath night!

·
Registered
956 Posts
whassup said:
Strangely compulsive to watch

I know. I can't believe I just spent the last 8+ minutes watching someone's car being washed. It was almost as if I was expecting something to happen (good/bad/exciting, dunno).

Must admit though, I did cringe at the aerial getting bounced a couple of times and the left wing mirror looked dangerously close to the yellow pole thingy on the car wash

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I haven't used an auto carwash for years!

·
Registered
956 Posts
SiJ2000 said:
I haven't used an auto carwash for years!

I occasionally use a jetwash but that was before my new arrival & I've only had used cars before. Will definitely be handwashing the up! though.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I do now wish we were able to wait for the 4 door (I don't call them a 5 door, why would you? If you add a Sunroof does it then become a 6 door? Same applies to 3 door. All came about to sound like you were getting more than you were I am sure.) But back to the car in the car wash, good thing it did not use the brush thingy. We have a perfect hand car wash lot near us, hate the drive through ones.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sorry to bump an old thread but are auto car washes really bad?

Used to use them with my old golf, but after so many years I didn't care too much.. but now after a week and a half of up ownership, new car could do with a wash.. should I seek out a hand wash then?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Auto car washes are awful for scratches and leaving swirl marks in the paint. Either, wash it yourself by hand, or pay someone else to do it by hand. I promise you the paint will stay looking fresher, longer if you stay the **** away from car washes. The odd waxing never hurts either with keeping a deep, better than brand new sheen, and helping protect it from the weather etc.
There's a thread on here somewhere, I'll find it, about someone Up! black, that's freshly polished, take a look at that. Guarantee you that won't ever see a car wash! :)

Edit: Waxed Up! blackEdited by: Davec86

·
Registered
84 Posts
Right, thanks, had heard this before, but as my old car was over nine and a half years old "one more scratch" was never gonna matter (not after thoughtful people had parked trolleys against it in supermarket car parks!!).I will seek out a hand wash, as I don't have time for a full wax this weekend.
Will definitely get some wax though..

·
Registered
315 Posts
silentbazz. Wash it by hand yourself. I use one of those fibre hand mitt things with the hose pipe to get the worst off then I use Auto-Glym shampoo. The hardest part is reaching over the top of the car to the center, as I seem to have lost a few inches with old age. Rinse off with clean water and allow to dry before applying Auto-Glym Polish. I also clean the wheels thoroughly with Auto-Glym Custom Wheel Cleaner, then follow that up with Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant. I do this about once a fortnight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts