1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Well... I have only driven autos for the last 15 years or so, so I am trying to convince myself that I'll be OK with the UP! manual...

Hopefully I won't regret it!!!!

S

·
Registered
212 Posts
Not sure I'm 'allowed' to comment on reviews any more less to say I respect the author's right to an opinion.......and don't forget the wine Reg......and the aqueduct, sanitation, education, irrigation, public order.....

He's not the Messiah.......

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Manacee said:
He's not the Messiah.......

He's a very naughty boy!!

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Actually I believe the auto option is pants too, think the'll be working on a DSG for the UP! GT in which case .........I'm in!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Sounds good! I believe the existing DSG is too big to fit into the space next to the engine in the up, so they'll have to develop a super-tiny DSG. That may be too expensive...

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
move up, your avatar, looks a grand dog, mine is a mad poodle called bramble ! she's a real daddys girl!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Thanks Linda. Great to know!

S

·
Registered
4 Posts
luckyjimmy said:
GoAuto Australia has a review of the Up automatic:

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/0D5239B3C0801169CA2579BE00811D93

The article does not give the robotised manual box a favorable review, although it does mention that VW may be developing a DSG gearbox. A VW Up with DSG and cruise control - that would be my ideal car!
I asked volkswagen on their facebook site some technical questions about the new automatic, I asked if the shift mechanics was the same as the I-Motion they sell in South America (Magneti Marelli manufactured components) it is not, it's "newly developed" and as for the DSG rumours, it's rumours. they are NOT currently engineering a DSG that fits the enginebay of the up, nor will they since it would be too expensive and also too heavy.

As for the article, Australians are used to stall converter automatics like the Americans, it's unlikely they have EVER driven anything with an electric shift before, and they were probably expecting DSG performance. No wonder they trashed it

I've read a recent article in a Danish magazine called FDM, they said it was great

Edited by: Collas

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Oh well, I went with the manual anyway... I guess there is less to go wrong!!!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Methylen: That's a shame about the DSG box, although knowing how closely these companies count the pennies, I'm not surprised. Many thanks for the info.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts