Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have just brought an up beat and want a spare wheel can I just buy the normal up space saver will it fit in the well with the subwoofer as it says in the handbook or will I have to buy anything else.

·
Registered
522 Posts
There are quite a number of posts on this subject. Basically the subwoofer is the size of the spare wheel, so fills all the available space. You will need to just stick it elsewhere in the boot, as we have. Loads of space for it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi thanks for the reply the sales guy at VW said we couldn't have s spare because of the subwoofer however in the handbook it says you can fit the spare under the subwoofer and details how to disconnect it to remove the spare wheel

·
Registered
522 Posts
Benny said:
Hi thanks for the reply the sales guy at VW said we couldn't have s spare because of the subwoofer however in the handbook it says you can fit the spare under the subwoofer and details how to disconnect it to remove the spare wheel
News to me about spare fitting under the subwoofer. I'll need to have a look after.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Just had a look at the online manual and it does indeed show you the subwoofer sitting in the spare wheel. Got my hopes up so went out for a look. Removed the subwoofer and tried to locate it securely in the 14" space saver wheel, but the wheel is not wide enough to locate the subwoofer, it just sits oddly on the inner surface of the wheel and would protrude well up into the boot space, and be unable to be secured. It might work in a 15" wheel as the recess would be an inch wider. Strange one this, I'll need to have another think about how it could work because it would free up a lot of boot space. Saying that, the boot has a false floor so the wheel and a load of other stuff fits okay under the floor, leaving the upper floor space pretty much empty for shopping, etc.

Edited by: wellfan

·
Registered
522 Posts
Just looking at parts fitted in boot. Possibly part number 15 fits in the wheel. I'll have a look tomorrow.
http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_single/catalog/vw/markt/RDW/modell/UP/year/2016/drive_standart/723/hg_ug/035/subcategory/35035/part_id/3696437/lang/e

·
Registered
520 Posts
It looks like part number 15 is just a spacer to raise the subwoofer up to boot floor level. If you remove the spacer the subwoofer may fit into the 14" wheel...

·
Registered
522 Posts
whats up said:
It looks like part number 15 is just a spacer to raise the subwoofer up to boot floor level. If you remove the spacer the subwoofer may fit into the 14" wheel...
No, that was what I tried first. The subwoofer is too wide to fit in the wheel. It is possible the spacer might fit in the wheel as it looks narrower at the bottom. Hard to explain, but I will have a look tomorrow.
Base of 4 looks wider than base of 15. I am just too lazy to go back out, and it is Baltic again up here.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys for looking and there is a bowl shaped black plastic support for the subwoofer which I take is part number 15 it might be one to ask VW service it does look like it's been designed to take the spare wheel so will keep you posted

·
Registered
522 Posts
Benny said:
Thanks guys for looking and there is a bowl shaped black plastic support for the subwoofer which I take is part number 15 it might be one to ask VW service it does look like it's been designed to take the spare wheel so will keep you posted
I had planned to have another look today, but it has been sleet and snow all day, so gave it a miss. Yes item 15 is bowl shaped, and was what I had planned to have at look fitting in the spare wheel. Hopefully tomorrow might be better.
Good luck with VW service for information about the spare wheel situation. I am sure they will be as much help as a chocolate fireguard. Haha, just my experience.
Edit. I sometimes find the guys in the parts departments to be more knowledgeable about things like this, as can be seen when lupgtiboy helps with information he provides based on his experience in parts.
Heavy snow again this morning so wont be doing much outside today with the car.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Just been out and removed everything from the boot well. Needed a socket head bolt with inner
multipoint head to remove the mounting. The mounting for the subwoofer, part 15, does not fit inside a 14" wheel, would easily fit inside a 15" wheel. I will put a 15" wheel off of another car in when the weather improves, but just now my fingers are freezing and I cannot get into my garage as it is full of junk.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi there it sounds like you are having some bad weather are you up in Scotland
Anyway will take your advice and talk to the spares guys.
Do you know if the standard spare wheel is a 14 or 15 inch.
Again thanks for your help there should be a way of doing this.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Benny said:
Hi there it sounds like you are having some bad weather are you up in Scotland
Anyway will take your advice and talk to the spares guys.
Do you know if the standard spare wheel is a 14 or 15 inch.
Again thanks for your help there should be a way of doing this.

Have you had any joy with finding a solution to this?

·
Registered
16 Posts
wellfan said:
Just been out and removed everything from the boot well. Needed a socket head bolt with inner
multipoint head to remove the mounting. The mounting for the subwoofer, part 15, does not fit inside a 14" wheel, would easily fit inside a 15" wheel. I will put a 15" wheel off of another car in when the weather improves, but just now my fingers are freezing and I cannot get into my garage as it is full of junk.
Hope the weather has improved! Have you had chance to find out if a 15 inch spare will accommodate the subwoofer yet?

·
Registered
522 Posts
sunflowerdeb said:
wellfan said:
Hope the weather has improved! Have you had chance to find out if a 15 inch spare will accommodate the subwoofer yet?

Sorry for delay in posting again. Unfortunately it does not fit in a 15" wheel either. Only tried it yesterday when the weather was better. Doubt if it would fit in a 16" either! Disappointed it did not as it would have freed a lot of boot space for me. Would be really interesting to learn more about the manual showing it in a wheel.

·
Registered
16 Posts
wellfan said:
sunflowerdeb said:
wellfan said:

Sorry for delay in posting again. Unfortunately it does not fit in a 15" wheel either. Only tried it yesterday when the weather was better. Doubt if it would fit in a 16" either! Disappointed it did not as it would have freed a lot of boot space for me. Would be really interesting to learn more about the manual showing it in a wheel.

What a shame! Looks like I'll be doing what you have done and putting a spare loose in the boot! Do you think it would be feasible for me to drive around with a full sized spare in the boot or would it take up too much room / slide around too much?

·
Registered
522 Posts
sunflowerdeb said:
wellfan said:
sunflowerdeb said:
wellfan said:

What a shame! Looks like I'll be doing what you have done and putting a spare loose in the boot! Do you think it would be feasible for me to drive around with a full sized spare in the boot or would it take up too much room / slide around too much?

Works fine for me, well for the wife! It is well packed against her work gear, so well secured under the false floor. I also use a non slip mat on the boot floor, so maybe worth getting one from eBay, etc. Only cost me a few quid.

·
Registered
16 Posts
wellfan said:
sunflowerdeb said:
wellfan said:
sunflowerdeb said:
wellfan said:

Works fine for me, well for the wife! It is well packed against her work gear, so well secured under the false floor. I also use a non slip mat on the boot floor, so maybe worth getting one from eBay, etc. Only cost me a few quid.

Many thanks for all your very helpful advice!

Edited by: sunflowerdeb

1 - 20 of 48 Posts