Up Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick heads up guys, my up! Black is in today to have the side chrome trim replaced under warranty. I have always washed and kept my car clean and protected well with wax/ polish but noticed very quickly on winter arriving that the chrome side trim felt rough and was corroding fast.... Weird because its actually plastic?

Anyway on its first service I said I was unhappy with this as the chrome is now quited 'pitted' and rough, so it's being replaced under warranty. There seemed very little haggling about the issue so maybe this is a common problem over here with the UKs use of road salt and poor road conditions?

So the heads up is... if you have chrome trim on your up!, please check all is smooth and shiny with yours, or get it looked at under warranty... Before it's too late...Edited by: Markmod1

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Plastic chrome does seem to deteriorate quickly. I've noticed that on a couple of previous cars I have had. I wonder why though.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Cheapness. Remember the days of chromed Mazak for car trim? This was the same cheap and fragile metal that was used to make Dinky cars. the chrome would peel off and the Mazak would pit very badly.

It was different on a Rolls-Royce as they took the time, trouble and expense to do the job properly.

Nick

·
Registered
583 Posts
It's just a thin layer of shiny something over plastic - and both layers can separate when the base plastic wasn't thoroughly clean when the shiny layer got applied.

It sometimes happens on model car "chrome" as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts