Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just made an account to forwarn/get advice.

My partner bought an Up White last year (brand new), last night it was broken into
sat nav, money pot stolen. However there was no sign of forced entry at all, the glovebox was open when she got into the car to go to work, only noticed something was wrong when she went to find the sat nav. She always locks the car and it has a self locking function anyway.

The only thing i can think of is that it is similar to the BMW key fob fault last year, where they spam the wireless signal until it unlocks a car.

Has anybody experienced this?/ know what to do?

PS Try not to leave anything valuable in the car.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Could be the key got scanned and copied, but I'd check it more closely for physical marks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Are you sure it "self-locks"? I know they auto-lock after they're unlocked and no doors are opened for 30 seconds, but I'm not aware of them locking after being idle for a while.

My Citigo Elegance definitely doesn't auto-lock - this "feature" was demonstrated when I arrived on handover day, before any of the staff were there, to find my car had been left unlocked overnight.

There was a bloke a few days ago who was trying car doors on my road, so if a car is left unlocked, eventually someone will try the handle and have a nosey around inside.

Edited by: smargh

·
Registered
251 Posts
+1 Auto lock doesn't mean the car senses when you get out and locks the doors for you as you walk away.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Yea, if you thought it locked itself, that will be why you got broken into - it would have been open.
Sorry to hear you've suffered though.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sorry to hear this bad news, I hope you can find a good deal on a replacement unit. On a side note : If you don't want to buy a new unit, the Co Pilot app on Android or Iphone is really good once you pay the 20 quid or so for the full version, I was really impressed with the extra features.A phone holder for the dash or window will beonly a few quid on ebay. Brodit is a good firm I can recommend but they are pricey.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
shakotanVIP said:
The up! does not have any auto-locking facility, not even as an option.
Not strictly correct. The Up! will auto lock if a door or boot is not opened within a short time after unlocking. Edited by: Beevee

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Hi shakotanVIP. Good to hear from you. How are you?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
shakotanVIP said:
Beevee said:
Fine thanks, Beevee, and your good self?
I'm good too, thank you. I am still enjoying my Up! and contributing to the forum. I know my posts are often a bit tongue in cheek but are meant in good humour and not to annoy.

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
Beevee said:
shakotanVIP said:
Beevee said:
Fine thanks, Beevee, and your good self?
I'm good too, thank you. I am still enjoying my Up! and contributing to the forum. I know my posts are often a bit tongue in cheek but are meant in good humour and not to annoy.
Same here, although my humour is a bit dry to some and can come across just plain grumpy.

·
Registered
241 Posts
For the newer owners who may not be aware the up has auto locking on the move(anti hijack)but you may need vcds to activate it or ask your dealer to do it.(cars with central locking only.)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Looking on the bright side, the damage caused by someone breaking in often exceeds the value of what is taken (unless you leave valuables like laptops in your car). There is also the inconvenience of getting the repairs done. What cannot be quantified though is the feeling that your space has been violated.

Nick

·
Registered
252 Posts
Roakley said:
Most cars auto lock if after you unlock the car and do not open a door it will auto lock!

Aygos don't. The don't even have a interior light switch on the passenger door so can't have this feature as it can't detect if the passenger door has been opened.

·
Registered
851 Posts
HighUP! said:
Mine was safe until my neighbour said he knew how to unlock it with a tennis ball.
That sounds like a magic trick so i checked it out on YouTube and there is a very good demo on there. The car it's demo'd on has the old fashioned pip that you pull up and push down. Whether it works on cars without pips, I couldn't speculate!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts