Up Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was this the Up!'s motor sport competition debut? Just thought I'd share with you my experience with our Up! at the Goodwood Road Racing Club's auto solo yesterday. It's a timed, motorised slalom round a complicated arrangement of traffic cones on (in this case) a disused aerodrome runway. It's a fantastic way of discovering how your car behaves when pushed much nearer its limits than anyone would try on the roads. It's all 1st and 2nd gear stuff, manouvrabilty is key and it's tremendous fun. You get penalty points for hitting cones or wrong slotting, cars are divided into classes according to engine size and age, bottles of bubbly for the winners, but it's the taking part that counts!

The Up! acquainted itself well and my wife overheard many positive comments, in spite of its being handicapped by the age of its driver and its lack of horsepower (it was giving away 450bhp to a competing Audi R8). I didn't come away with any prizes other than a huge grin and a vow to do the next one in October. If ever you get the chance to have a go at one of these, go for it, even though it won't do your tyres much good (or your fuel consumption)

Apologies for the quality of the photos (taken by my wife from a distance on her iPhone)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sounds and looks like great fun! I'd be worried about hurting my little Up though, it gets enough front end damage going up our battered old drive!

How much was it to take part? It'd be ideal if you had a fun second car to thrash around. I bet a modded up would do really well

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was huge fun, I've already signed up for the next one in October, £55 but you have to be a club member, great if you're a petrol head who regularly goes to motor race meetings at Goodwood, but possibly not if your car is just a means of getting from A to B or you live well north of Watford.

I had half expected the Up! to display typical front wheel drive characteristics and a keenness to go straight on at corners, but if you put your foot hard on the gas, it just tucks its nose in and tightens the corner for you, really entertaining!

We really need more Uppers to join in, I was the only entry in my class (post 1980 and under 1400cc), so I got lumped in with a couple of hotshots in an Austin Healey Sprite and a 1955 (I Think) Turner, both sports cars and very well driven, but I promise to give them better run for their money next time, the course will be tighter and I will be bolder - watch this space!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Afraid not, definitely Kent, but rubbish photo quality!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts