Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi AllJust thought I would inject into this issue, my daughter purchased her UP in April 2012 and until about 2 months ago was the perfect car, then suddenly it started to steam up inside and I mean steam up every window on the inside was wet streaming wet, the only way to clear was to have the Air con on all the time she was driving, I checked the car and found that in the boot both sides of the bodywork were also wet so I booked her car into the local dealer.

They had the car for 2 days and said that they found a leak into the boot that was caused by one of the rear light seals, great I thought problem resolved, sadly no, the car is now even worse even with the air con on it still steams up a little at the bottom of the screen and all the back wondows do the same, this I class as Dangerious.

I have booked the car in again and when my daughter took the car in today she was told that there is an issue with the UP with the pipes that run under the carpets and also the Air Con rubber boot thatis under the bonnet ion the bulkhead apparently these have been know to be mounted upsidedown with the drain plug facing up instead of downapparently these pipes are the cause of the condensation issue but they are very reluctant to admit even though there are released TPI reports from VWand what I find amazing is that they are reluctant to fix the issue as the car will need to be completely stripped down to dry everything out, so all I say is if your UP is getting condensation don't let it go there is a problem and it needs to be fixed, you may not get the problem now but like my daughter it took over a year to show itself.

I hope this helps

I will update you all once I have more feedback from the VW Dealer.

Edited by: Keenie

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that your daughter has experienced such frustration at the hands of her local dealership, despite the acknowledgment of a known problem.

If I was in your daughter's position, I'd be requesting a meeting with the dealership principle, to discuss the apparent failings of the service department, whilst clearly stating my intention to escalate the issue beyond the dealership if the matter could not be resolved to my satisfaction.

Having only recently taken delivery of my Up! I cannot comment on whether VW adhere to the same practice of other manufacturers, by contacting its customers following a visit to one their dealerships (although I suspect that they probably do).

With this in mind (think customer satisfaction scores), the dealership principle will no doubt be aware of how any expression of dissatisfaction can impact upon a dealership, particularly since the results of any negative feed-back from customer satisfaction surveys is communicated back to head office, in Milton Keynes.

The results of any negative feed-back will no doubt lead to the dealership having to explain its actions (or lack of them) in the case of the issue currently faced by your daughter, to head office.

If the dealership principle remains as ignorant as the service manager, in refusing to acknowledge/rectify the issue, then I'd contact head office, in order to ask for the address of VW's CEO, in Germany, citing the reasons for requesting such information.

As a result, the reason for requesting such information will no doubt set alarm bells ringing with the UK's head office, located at Bletchley.

Failing all of the above, you could also consider contacting a national newspaper, to explain your frustration.

It may sound a little extreme but, ultimately, no vehicle manufacturer wishes to risk negative exposure in media, since such exposure only serves to damage the image of the marque.

·
Registered
583 Posts
How the seal is supposed to sit in the engine bulkhead :

On LHD cars it's aft of the air filter, and if mounted wrong, will result in wet carpet on the passenger (right) side.

Dunno if VW also reversed the airco on RHD cars, if not, it's the driver's side carpets that would get wet.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi CNGThanks for that, yes they have checked that as it was one of the known TPi issues, it has got so bad now that the condensation is all over her dash and radio and heater controls its like your spraying a mist of water all over the inside of the car, VW UK is now taking over this case, lets see what they can do to resolve this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Everyone

I have an August 2012 Move up and a couple of months ago I posted about having wet carpets in both front footwells. It turned out that there was a problem with the drainage holes and water was getting in. It was repaired under warranty.
Yesterday my Up went in again for damp carpet in drivers footwell and it turns out its all wet again in both footwells !! They are currently carrying out water testing.
I find this incredible on a 2yr 5 month old VW. I loved the car but have now completely lost interest in it and am seriously thinking of getting rid of it !! will they finally sort it out or what is next ?

Will keep you posted.

Kevin

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi All

Just an update on my Up.
After a couple of days in the dealership having water testing carried out, they have informed me that the second round of water ingress into the car's footwell was caused by doors that were not fitting tightly enough. They have now adjusted the doors !?
Will this be the end of the saga ?

Unfortunately my confidence in the car has gone

Just in case anyone gets similar problems it maybe the doors !

KPH

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Cars are made up of hundreds of parts fitted together and sometimes faults occur. This is why manufacturers offer a warranty to correct manufacturing faults. I have always had a problem calling condensation an "issue" because to me it is the result of another fault. As previously posted severe condensation must be the result of water ingress and this appears it have been proven. I appreciate it is annoying to anyone suffering from a defect but the important issue is how the fault is dealt with and rectified. I do hope you have no other problems and can enjoy driving the Up!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Condensation will occur anywhere that warmer air comes into contact with a colder surface and is a natural occurrence. What is worrying is if the car is not equipped to clear it, or if the condensation is excessive.

I have a 2012 Take Up! with no air conditioning and I'm getting a lot of condensation on the windscreen in particular. I can dry it off with a towel, but large droplets remain and it requires turning on the fan and heater to clear it. It takes an unacceptably long time to clear the windscreen since the heater and fan will not blow out warm air until the car is running and gets warmed up, but of course this can't be done until the windscreen is clear enough to be safe to get going.

I have an old sock filled with silica under one of the seats that is supposed to help dry out the inside of the car, but I'm not sure if it's working.

I will keep an eye on the carpets. My dad has a VW Bora which has a leak due to a known manufacturing defect and the carpets in the passenger side footwell is often very wet. It sounds very similar to the problems described above with the Up!

·
Registered
527 Posts
I've got one of the dehumidifier 'parcels' mentioned on another post for about £9 from Amazon (the one you can dry out in microwave and has an indicator mark on it that changes colour when you need to chuck it on the microwave). Anyway, had it in the Up! for 3 days and what a difference! Now, there may or may not be a manufacturing defect that was causing the condensation build up (incidently my previous motor, a Caddy Maxi Life was even worse) but my carpets are dry even with a roof rack permanently fitted. The fact is, it seems, a £9 pouch has sorted my problem, so as far as I'm Inverness it's happy days. Will obviously keep an eye on it!

Jonesy

·
Registered
337 Posts
Mine's been steaming up a bit on the rear window but that's because every time I get in I'm bloody wet through. Is it EVER going to stop raining!?

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you have a couple of Jack Russells (like I have) who get taken out in the car every day and get lovely and damp, you will really know how bad the condensation can get!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Having got rid of my 62 up at the end of three year PCP, I don't miss the wet windscreen one bit. Current car, a 2003 new beetle demists far easier!

·
Registered
568 Posts
big-up said:
Aircon on sorts within 30 secs though.

Aircon doesn't operate if outside temp less than 4 or 5 degrees. Bummer !!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I logged on today to see if there were any more thoughts on this issue as my 62-reg Mii has been pretty bad recently.

My wife recently came into the house complaining that the de-icer must have gone off because it wasn't making any difference to the windscreen ice. I went out to help her and we found out that it was because the ice was on the inside!

We have a silica bag inside the car which does help a bit, but clearly not enough.

There was a thread somewhere about a German motoring magazine which had spotted that a bulkhead seal could be put in upside down, allowing water in, but I couldn't find that seal when I looked. Has anyone successfully found the seal that magazine was talking about so I can have another look?

Cheers

·
Registered
361 Posts
Zigster said:
There was a thread somewhere about a German motoring magazine which had spotted that a bulkhead seal could be put in upside down, allowing water in, but I couldn't find that seal when I looked. Has anyone successfully found the seal that magazine was talking about so I can have another look?

Cheers

There is a thread in this forum, which has picture of the misaligned bulkhead seal in motor bay, but couldn't find it, maybe you could have a try?

-eelis-

Edited by: -eelis-

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi, can you tell me what to look for on Amazon. I have a Seat Mii with air-con & if in damp/rainy weather its like being in a swimming hall.I really should have investigated more on the Up/Mii/Citigo. How I wish now I had bought the Suzuki Splash a more reliable car. I've just read about brake problems, clutch/gearbox problems.
Vw has gotten too big, the emissions problems hopefully will bring Vw back down to earth.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I just bought this little number from (Fl)ebay for £8.49

Now, I'm not saying my car suffers excessively from moisture but every morning I take my shower gel, towel and gown. I figure I'm the cleanest bugger in Geoff Boycotts county.

·
Registered
527 Posts
That's the one I bought. Mine wasn't excessively damp either, but windows were definitely misting too easy. Been right as rain (!) since I chucked it on the parcel shelf!

Jonesy

1 - 20 of 29 Posts