Up Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello up! Peeps,
I am sorry to have not posted on here since my introduction, many thanks to all of you for your kind welcomes.
Just thought I'd post my story since my last words in the 'Newbies' section:

As I have already said, we ordered an up! Black in March to replace our beloved RX8.
Thinking the RX8 would take a long time to sell due to current fuel prices, we immediately put the car up for sale.
"We have only 3 months before our new up! arrives so we'd better put the 8 on Autotrader straight away" were my words at the time.

That Sunday evening, our RX8 was for sale

The next day, about 1:00pm the phone rang with a chap who wanted to come and view it that evening.
He came, viewed it, made me an offer, and collected it on the following Thursday.

So there we were. No car and a 3 month wait for our up!
Luckily neither myself or girlfriend drive to work. We are both able to commute on foot, however, after just one weekend of only being able to stay in our localarea and a bank holiday weekend due the following week,we decided to go and buy ourselves an old banger to keep us going.
This as it turned out, was where our problems began.

We got a lift to a car dealer who I had driven past many times over the past few years, he always seemed to have old cars for just a few hundred pounds.
It was at this dealer, we found Ted - a 1993 blue Fiesta 1.8 DL mmm.....
Ted had Tax until the end of July (our up! was due for delivery mid July), a full 12 months MOT, No rust and he worked.
We bought Ted for £400 drove off,and began getting used to looks of depair rather than admiration. Not that that bothered us in the slightest knowing our new up! was just a 1/4 year away!

4 Days later, I took Ted on a short drive and while stuck in rush hour traffic, the cambelt snapped!!

Luckily, the car dealer agreed to take Ted back. We thought Ted was dead but... the following week, is now back with us, repaired - sort of.
Ted now limps along like a Dog in his final year. Ted is reluctant to start, misfires, cuts outand coughs out clouds of smoke.

For all of you who are now enjoying the delights of your brand new, reliable, stylish, economical and very cool up!s, please spare a thought of us with our Ted.
For those of you who, like me are still drooling over images of up!s posted on here by others that have theirs, the following pictures should excite you even more about your forthcoming up!

Meet Ted

Teds' smoking rear

The ergonomic dashboard - only high quality materials used here!

And finaly, the luxury velour upholstry

So there you have it, our story of the last fewweeks (if you are still reading this post).

To finish off, I would like to tell you all that the dealer called today to informme that my up! has a confirmed build date of week 19 (7th May) and an expected delivery date of 4th June!

Only a month of Ted to go........ if anyone is interested in him?!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Hehe... I love Ted! I had one of those years ago, and had forgotten the dash pad with the little clock module.. My seats were not as good as those though.. Lol

·
Registered
315 Posts
Very good!

Not long to go now......

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rednaxela, do you remember if your little clock module was backlit? Mine isn't.
I realise that this is the least of my worries with Ted but feel that the condition of my clock is important to all up! owners.

I have scoured Google and cannot seem to find the Fiesta 1.8 DL Owners Club.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Yes indeed.. My clock module was lit in green. You my friend are going to have serious problems selling Ted now that this issue has surfaced!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No wonder the dealer agreed to fix the cambelt so quickly. He must have known all along about the clock!
I feel like such a mug for buying Ted without an in dash clock module illumination check. Do you think I should get in touch with trading standards about this?
Can't imagine what it must have looked like illuminated in green though. You are so lucky to have experienced such a visual delight.

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
I feel your pain Matty, one of the main reasons I'm buying my up! is that my lovely little polo openair has started leaking via the soft roof... now as I'm sure you all know the weather recently has been rather WET! therefore I have some lovely damp issues going on with the back seats and boot! I'm in the process of trying to dry her out and implement towel etc to catch the water! lol

Liked reading your story, nice to have someone very keen to buy your previous car after worrying it wouldn't sell!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have to say that I haven't seen an openair before. Had to do a Google image search - I like a lot!
Before the RX8 we had a little silver MK1 MX5 so I remember the torment of wet seats very well! (Yes, the up! is my first VW having been a fan of Jap for many years).

I wish I could offer you some advice but other than protecting with towels, there isn't a lot else I can think of.
I can't remember the name of it but the upholstry cleaner sold in Halfords which has a yellow plastic brush intergrated into the lid of the can did an excellent job at removing the water marks!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
...Come to think of it, the MX5 sold to a girl who lived in Bournemouth.If you happen to see an attractive hairdresser walking around with wet knees, it could very well be her!!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
MattyUp said:
No wonder the dealer agreed to fix the cambelt so quickly. He must have known all along about the clock!
I feel like such a mug for buying Ted without an in dash clock module illumination check. Do you think I should get in touch with trading standards about this?
Can't imagine what it must have looked like illuminated in green though. You are so lucky to have experienced such a visual delight.
It was good. In fact I'm going to look on eBay to see if I can buy one to retro fit in my up.

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
haha, i shall look out for the good looking hairdresser with wet knees!! haha!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts