Up Owners Club banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my new vw up for about 2 weeks now and I drove it to work for the first time on Friday morning. When I started driving my journey at 5:30AM, It was pitch black. so I turned on my headlights and got the shock of my life! The up?s headlight only illuminates ONE car length in front. I then tried adjusting the trimmer switch to account for a fully loaded car (I was not fully loaded) and this only dipped the lights more and made the visible road area reduce! So I had to drive 70 miles to work while only seeing one car length in front of me for the entire motorway journey.
Surely this must be a headlight out of adjustment, perhaps they didn't do it at the factory, I thought as I drove blind on the M40 to London, thankful of the lorry's I could use as markers.

So I took my VW UP? back to the dealer this morning and told them of my problem. After a round of shopping and filling the tank to give a typical load, I handed my keys over and waited. They they came back claiming to have put my car on "the MOT headlight tester" and told me that the headlight was set at the correct position. I then explained to them that I was driving on a pitch black motorway while only being able to see one car length in front. I told them my previous cars; a mx-5, micra and a friends new cee'd did not have this problem and inquired about the safety of selling a car with such a short visible distance driving at night. The office girl then told me that she drives a polo and such suicidal driving was "normal", and that my car was OK on their "VOSA headlight tester". I went round this conversation a few times and finally gave up and talked to the technician who had claimed to have had performed the test.
He then reiterated what I was told, that my cars headlight was "within specification" for the car and that there was nothing he could adjust as the part was in specification. I asked what car he had and if he could see more than one car length in front at night. He claimed that he had "not driven his car non-VW car at night". I then asked if he could adjust them anyway and he refused. I then went around the same loop as with the saleswoman, asking if it was safe to drive a new car at night when you cant see anything, when my older collection of cars did not have this problem and all passed MOT's. He then postulated that my other cars were "not tested properly" on the MOT. He then suggested that I could adjust my new car's headlights myself with a "6mm allen key". While I have the tools and know-how to do this, I should not have to adjust anything on a brand new car with less than 400 miles on the clock! He said he would monitor the situation. I gave up at this point.

Anyone else have this problem? Do you have to drive blind in darkness because only being able to see one car length in front?

If I knew of this safety fault, I would have kept the MX-5 and spent the £12k on fuel, safe in the knowledge that I would at least SEE what I was going to crash into!

added:
What do you think is wrong?
A. Headlights not adjusted correctly from factory, Dealers MOT alignment tools are wrong so they cant tell.
B. Headlights not adjusted correctly from factory, Dealers alignment tools are correct but they wont adjust them higher because they CBA/policy.
C. All my cars I ever had were incorrectly adjusted and all the MOTs I have ever had were not done properly, and the UP is the first car that is "correct".
D. Its just me and my eyes change their mind depending what car I'm in.
E. Design flaw with VWUP, car design will never be safe to drive at night

Edited by: tom

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Be very interested to read others people's posts. Unfortunately I don't do enough nigh time driving to be able to comment.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I can hardly see anything in my golf at night, so I drive with my main beams on! Buy some upgraded bulbs

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
OK there could be a few factors here?
1. Eyesight of the driver? (I need driving glasses for night time)

2. You just don't like your up! (Buy something else)

3. You P!ssed the dealer of by trying to tell them their job???????

4. Your sitting in the wrong seat, therefore the headrest of the drivers seat will block you view!

OR
You could just up!grade

Osram H4 nightbreaker bulbs!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
705 Posts
I've not had a problem at night, but I'm not travelling on a motorway, just some local, unlit roads. The lights seem to be better than my previous vehicles, a Ford StreetKa, VW Polo and a Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport.

However, visibility was severely restricted in night time rain, but that's been the same for any vehicle I've driven or ridden. The light reflects off the water surface and is bounced off into the scenery. The only thing to do is to reduce speed, due to lack of light, the increased stopping distances, and the possibility of hitting a large puddle, which certainly gives me a shock.

Nick

·
Registered
112 Posts
I must admit, I've noticed that the light range on my Citigo seems pretty short, certainly I could see further ahead in my Yaris. Can't say I've found it a major issue though, but I've not done any night time motorway driving yet.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
I drive in the dark very often and don't have any problems with the light range, while not as good as my previous cars xenon lights, it is perfectly adequate for unlit, pitch black countryside. If it is so bad on yours there must be something wrong is all I can assume

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Variable said:
Have you adjusted the tilt on the lights with the dial near the steering wheel?
Yes, he already tried that

·
Registered
619 Posts
I can only agree with Privatedoc, the range and light distribution seem fine to me on my car. In fact, I was quite pleased how good the lights were when I used them the first time.

There must be something amiss with your car - there is some degree of latitude allowed by the MOT light alignment machines. A few degrees up from the current setting would make all the difference.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
luckyjimmy said:
There must be something amiss with your car - there is some degree of latitude allowed by the MOT light alignment machines. A few degrees up from the current setting would make all the difference.
I think that is all it is. If the technician said "Its in spec, but I
have moved it up one notch on the adjustment screw , let me know how
that is", then I would have been over the moon, but its the way they shrugged
their shoulders and didn't care that pissed me off. I will drive it again on Monday and take a photo to compare with another car

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
As it won't need an mot for 3 yrs, just adjust it up a bit yourself and feel smug

·
Registered
16 Posts
<!--if gte mso 9>
<o:OfficeSettings>
<o:AllowPNG/>
</o:OfficeSettings>
<!--><!--if gte mso 9>
<w:Word>
<w:View>Normal</w:View>
<w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom>
<w:TrackMoves/>
<w:Trackatting/>
<w:punctuationKerning/>
<w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/>
<w:SaveIfInvalid>false</w:SaveIfInvalid>
<w:IgnoreMixed>false</w:IgnoreMixed>
<w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>
<w:DonotPromoteQF/>
<w:LidThemeOther>EN-GB</w:LidThemeOther>
<w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian>
<w:LidThemeComplex>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplex>
<w:Compatibility>
<w:BreakWrappedTables/>
<w:SnapToGridInCell/>
<w:WrapTextWithPunct/>
<w:UseAsianBreakRules/>
<w:DontGrowAutofit/>
<w:SplitPgBreakAndark/>
<w:EnableKerning/>
<w:DontFlipMirrorIndents/>
<w:OverrideTableStyleHps/>
</w:Compatibility>
<m:mathPr>
<m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/>
<m:brkBin m:val="before"/>
<m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/>
<m:smallFrac m:val="off"/>
<m:dispDef/>
<m:lMargin m:val="0"/>
<m:rMargin m:val="0"/>
<m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/>
<m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/>
<m:intLim m:val="subSup"/>
<m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/>
</m:mathPr></w:Word>
<!--><!--if gte mso 9>
<w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemi="true" DefQat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267">
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="Normal"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="ing 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" Qat="true" Name="ing 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" Qat="true" Name="ing 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" Qat="true" Name="ing 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" Qat="true" Name="ing 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" Qat="true" Name="ing 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" Qat="true" Name="ing 7"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" Qat="true" Name="ing 8"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" Qat="true" Name="ing 9"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" Qat="true" Name="caption"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="Title"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="Subtitle"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="Strong"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="Emphasis"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="No Spacing"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="Quote"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" Semi="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Qat="true" Name="Book Title"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/>
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Qat="true" Name="TOC ing"/>
</w:LatentStyles>
<!--><!--if gte mso 10>

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-priority:99;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin-top:0cm;
mso-para-margin-right:0cm;
mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
mso-para-margin-left:0cm;
line-height:115%;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:11.0pt;
font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;
mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}

<!-->

I think this light problem is a great shame. Having driven the previous VW city car, the
Lupo, all over Europe including two 3000 mile treks, I can confirm that Lupo lights
were great. Why should the UP be worse? On
low beam the Lupo lights were marginally better than my current daily driver a
C30. It's a different matter on high
beam, the C30 is outstanding.Adjust
them up slightly and then see what happens when it's time for an MOT.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ive driven my UP in the dark many times and had no problems with the lights at all.Driving both on motorways and unlit country lanes.

Maybe you need to change your driving style to adjust for a different car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I can fully confirm Tom's findings.

I had a Colt (Z30) before, which had one of the best set of headlights (H7) in its class. Naturally, I did not check the lights of the Up! before buying, I even did not think that any serious manufacturer would use crappy H4 lamps in a not-so-cheap 2012 model.

At my first night drives I noticed that the range of the lights is quite narrow, and that the transition to darkness is abrupt - but it still seemed o.k. under normal conditions. But my first night drive on wet streets was pure horror, and I immediately had decided that I will order stronger lamps, and not to drive the car under this conditions until the new lamps arrive (BTW, I am 40-something and do not have any vision problems, except for wearing glasses).

Thankfully, it is quite easy to change the headlight bulbs of the Up!.

Now, with the GE "MegaLight Ultra" (100% identical to the Bosch "Plus 90"), the light is acceptable. But the lifetime of such lamps is only a fraction of standard lamps, so one will have to change them more often.

In short: Yes, the Up! has lousy, ultra-cheap headlights, which can seriously compromise safety in night drives, especially on wet, non-reflecting streets. I guess if one finds the Up!'s light good, he must compare it to a rather old car.

Sorry for the rant on my first post, but this IS an serious issue, and Up! owners should be aware of it.

Georg

·
Registered
523 Posts
My rather old car was a 2009 mini... I think the lights are adequate in the up. I also wear glasses and recently had my eyes checked.;)

GeorgK said:
I can fully confirm Tom's findings.

I had a Colt (Z30) before, which had one of the best set of headlights (H7) in its class. Naturally, I did not check the lights of the Up! before buying, I even did not think that any serious manufacturer would use crappy H4 lamps in a not-so-cheap 2012 model.

At my first night drives I noticed that the range of the lights is quite narrow, and that the transition to darkness is abrupt - but it still seemed o.k. under normal conditions. But my first night drive on wet streets was pure horror, and I immediately had decided that I will order stronger lamps, and not to drive the car under this conditions until the new lamps arrive (BTW, I am 40-something and do not have any vision problems, except for wearing glasses).

Thankfully, it is quite easy to change the headlight bulbs of the Up!.

Now, with the GE "MegaLight Ultra" (100% identical to the Bosch "Plus 90"), the light is acceptable. But the lifetime of such lamps is only a fraction of standard lamps, so one will have to change them more often.

In short: Yes, the Up! has lousy, ultra-cheap headlights, which can seriously compromise safety in night drives, especially on wet, non-reflecting streets. I guess if one finds the Up!'s light good, he must compare it to a rather old car.

Sorry for the rant on my first post, but this IS an serious issue, and Up! owners should be aware of it.

Georg

·
Registered
727 Posts

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I used the Osram bulbs (night breaker plus I think)... They seem fine...

Never tried the factory ones as they came out as soon as the car got to my house!

·
Registered
386 Posts
SiJ2000 said:
I used the Osram bulbs (night breaker plus I think)... They seem fine...

Could you please post a pic of the nightbraker installed in the headlightunit to have an idea how blue the bulb is when it is fitted (not burning).

1 - 20 of 195 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.