Up Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

So yesterday I had a call from Sheffield Volkswagen saying they'd like me to swing by with my Up! for "upgrades and enhancements". It was a strange way of saying that a fan needs replacing! Has anybody else had this recall work done? Wondered if anybody had any more information on it and spreading the word so people can get in touch with their dealers.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I had this recall done and as far as I'm informed - no fan is being changed, only software upgrade for the fan, so it will be working slower and last more..

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Mine was done at a service, I expect you haven't had a service since the recall was noted and the dealer is generating some warranty income during this slow period.Ever the cynic!

However, I noted the car does warm up more quickly after the software mod was done...(winter time)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses, at least it doesn't sound like anything too life-threatening! Makes you wonder why they didn't do it before though, they sold me the car about 10 days ago.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'll enquire if Seat have a similar update. Ours took ages to warm up last winter (& it was not even a hard winter down south!!!)

·
Registered
182 Posts
My Citigo had a first service recently and a full software update....however, I was told that the software update was insufficient and I would need a new control unit for the engine cooling fan...part of "campaign 24A1". All done now..needed the car for half a day, but gave me a courtesy car with
unlimited fuel use...that's what service is all about.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Interesting to see this type of campaings on the Up!, they're usually reserved for higher-end cars. Also interesting is the big change you're noticing on the engine behaviour, usually what is fixed is some very rare safety hazard or something like that, but this extends the engine life as the longer it works under working temperature the faster it wears. Cool :)

Hope the Brazilian model doensn't has this problem or that it is already fixed.

·
Super Moderator
1,051 Posts
The recall is being done as they found that the software the car was shipped with caused the engine fan to come on too much, and this was causing premature wear on the fan and the fan control ecu. Originally it was just a software update, but within the last 2 moths or so, they have changed it to include changing the fan ecu as well.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I have never heard my fan come on........... I can be sitting in traffic for some time with the window open so I can hear it kick in.....nothing !Recently had the software update so it mat behave differently now.
On previous cars you could feel the vibration from fan starting, perhaps the Up 3 cyl engine with it's own slight vibration at tickover masks this !
Edited by: Derkie54

1 - 10 of 10 Posts