Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The up! is going beginningof November, just swapped it in for an excellent deal on a 1.4 Polo Match. Worked out at £19 a month more and a years free insurance. The need for 5 seats and 5 doors is one reason, the other being a job change a month ago with a 20 mile commute and the up! feeling a little out of its depth at times.

I have been using the 1er but the wife has never got on with the up! Hates the brakes and with a baby and two kids the three doors are difficult to get a baby in and out of. Refinement of the Polo will be nice and plusher interior, but the tidy handling and a lovely light action clutch of the up! will be missed. Although the noisygearbox less so. Gone for a red Polo as refuse to pay £250 for white being a cheapskate lol.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I'm doing the exact same thing for the same reasons. (Never let the wife drive my up though.. Lol)
I drove a 1.2 and a 1.4 polo this week and preferred the 1.4. The 1.2 was a 3 cylinder and was noisy compared to the 1.4.
I actually agreed on a red match with knight wheels on Wednesday that was due in in four weeks, but yesterday they told me they lost it!!!!! I bet you got it lol
Anyway, I wanted a custom build as I wanted the winter pack, but the lead time is 19 weeks and the deal runs out on dec 31st to get the £1000 off, free 6000 miles of fuel, 3 years servicing and one years insurance.
I now have to wait for another car to show up on the system that I want.Edited by: Rednaxela

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have not test driven the 1.4, drove a 1.2 60ps last year and thought bitit was nice if a slightly weedy engine. Test driving a 1.4 tomorrow. Our car needs to be sourced although not gone for the lovely Knight wheels as much as I like them, could not justify the extra cost. A few are due off the boat the end of October for a Nov delivery.

Was told the Match was in big demand, got the free insurance and £1000 and then a 10% discount. Seemed much more keen to sell me a 1.4 than a 1.2 interestingly?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I hope they can find us both a couple of nice ones.
The 1.2 I drove was a 70ps. It was a nippy little thing, but I'm after a quiet engine now.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I'm also shocked they don't seem to know what's coming in the pipeline. Surely VW must have a list of cars that are being made.. It seems not though.
I was cross with Robinsons VW for saying I could have one and then just loosing it! Bad Form!

By the way the 5 doors are made in South Africa, and then sail to Germany to be checked, then on to the uk. I guess they have to winkle out the bad ones before they can produce a list of available cars.Edited by: Rednaxela

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My dealer Parkway Derby are having to do a swap with an optionedone they ordered in with a dealer who is having a standard red one? They knew what is coming just not exact dates, seem to and in batches. Due to the South Africa and then onto Germany bit I assume.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have the up! for a few weeks more as the Polo is not arriving until mid December. Making the most of the up! and piling on the miles, not far off 5K and the engineseems to have just loosenedup a tad more and seems slightly more sprightly. Will deffomiss it...shame up does not have five seats and the GT rumuor has gone cold!

·
Registered
851 Posts
I've been reading this thread with interest. I took delivery of my candy white move up in Nov 12 as a train station car but my office is moving making it impossible to use the train. Rather than a 4 mile tootle to the station, i'll have a 40 mile cross country and one motorway junction journey to do. Like the previous comment, i just don't think the 60PS up will be "up" to the new challenge - so an upgrade to a Polo 1.4 Match sounds ideal. It will be an opportunity to specify the RNS 315 nav as a treat too. I never liked the concept of a sticky up nav unit and have heard talk that anything that obscures the windscreen is likely to be banned. Though i'm not sure where that leaves the rear view mirror! Can someone/anyone who has driven the 1.4 Match compare it to the up for me? Thanks.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Why don't you think it will be up for the job? I've done around 9000 miles in 5 months, I drive a 3 hour journey twice every other weekend and I don't feel in anyway that this little baby is not up for the job..

·
Registered
28 Posts
I swapped from a 3.0 V6 diesel Touareg into my High Up! ASG and find it more than capable on regular 330 mile each way trips to Nothumberland.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Twelve months and 9000 miles later I am still enjoying my Up! Have done city driving, motorway driving, long and short journeys and have never been disappointed with performance or comfort. Having come down from a very sporty BMW I am more than satisfied with my Up! The only comment I understand on this thread is the need for five seats but if you need five seats why buy the Up! In the first place?Edited by: Beevee

·
Registered
851 Posts
I sometimes find that if you floor the throttle then you get no response - although I know the immediate argument to that is CHANGE DOWN, DUMMY! I guess I've been spoilt by driving lots of diesels where the low rev urge is enormous. I thought the 1.4 Match might give me more oomph ....plus there's the £1000 support which is well worth having!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
You already know the answer Alan, make more use of the gears. On the ASG pressing the accelerator to the floor produces a kick down and the little Up! leaps into action. Held my own against a Skoda Octavia this morning (not that I was racing you understand). Mind you the revs going into the red before changing gear is a little scary!!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It does lack the extra verve I need especially if I need to do an overtake. The up! is noiser and overall less comfortable on the same journey I also use the 1er. Being a Take up! I did not have a/c which I missed this summer, lack of five doors and five seats means the up! is not that great for my wife. She has never really liked the up! Either. I am mainly going to use the 1er with the odd day in the Polo to even out millage. If I had not changed jobs I would have continued with the up!

The PX value has been frozen. The up! is a great city car but loaded up with four people the engine and brakes begin to struggle on a fast A road or motorway. Cracking little car and a great urban runabout that does give plenty of fun in the twisties. But the up! has its limitations as well having lived with it for 12 months.

Although the little 995cc engine can shock bigger engined cars if you use the revs and light weight and never found it really out of its depth. It was excellent in the snow with its skinny tires.Edited by: jezyg

·
Registered
851 Posts
jezyg said:
It does lack the extra verve I need especially if I need to do an overtake. The up! is noiser and overall less comfortable on the same journey I also use the 1er. Being a Take up! I did not have a/c which I missed this summer, lack of five doors and five seats means the up! is not that great for my wife. She has never really liked the up! Either. I am mainly going to use the 1er with the odd day in the Polo to even out millage. If I had not changed jobs I would have continued with the up!

The PX value has been frozen. The up! is a great city car but loaded up with four people the engine and brakes begin to struggle on a fast A road or motorway. Cracking little car and a great urban runabout that does give plenty of fun in the twisties. But the up! has its limitations as well having lived with it for 12 months.

Although the little 995cc engine can shock bigger engined cars if you use the revs and light weight and never found it really out of its depth. It was excellent in the snow with its skinny tires.
So what are the strengths and weaknesses of the Polo 1.4 Match?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
AlanG said:
So what are the strengths and weaknesses of the Polo 1.4 Match?
The Polo is more refined and a plusher interior. Bigger boot and interior space although less headroom and feels smaller due to the lower roof than the up! Stereo and speakers are better especially the radio. The ride is very pliant although a tendancy to lean slightly in corners and softer than the up! Polo is not as sharp to drive either but overall feels more solid. Brakes being all round discs in the 1.4 are quite sharp and gearchange felt pretty much the same as the up! with a slightly heavier clutch action. The 1.4 lump is not bad, not as revy as the up! but has much more torque. Is around 10mpg less than the up! and RFL is £125. Not as tuneful as a 3 cylinder engine and feels not quite as responsive either.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Sounds like i'd be trading one set of weaknesses for another! I had a spec in mind: 3 door 1.4 Match in black with the nav unit, leather steering wheel and rubber mats all round. However, the much worse fuel consumption and higher RFL is mking me think again. Although i'd like to get away from that transmission whine which i find very annoying!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
AlanG said:
Sounds like i'd be trading one set of weaknesses for another! I had a spec in mind: 3 door 1.4 Match in black with the nav unit, leather steering wheel and rubber mats all round. However, the much worse fuel consumption and higher RFL is mking me think again. Although i'd like to get away from that transmission whine which i find very annoying!
It is a trade off depending on your needs. We need 5 doors and 5 seats. The 1.2 60/70 lump is no quicker than the up! but with slightly higher fuel consumption. 1.4 Polo will be 45-50mpg at a guess. I would go and get a good long test drive and I am sure that will sway you one way or the other. If they used the 1.2 TSi 85 in the Polo as in the A1 economy and RFL would be quite close to the up!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Really when i think about it, the up is the future i.e. small, lightweight car. The polo on the other hand, is the past - much heavier for its internal space. So, really, i should stick with the future.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts