Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Have done a few simple mods to my up! And have decided to put up the best!
I have fitted a tailored iPhone bracket which is really good, an LED interior bulb and some bi-xenon headlights which I believe may be a first for an up!? But they are spectacular
makes such a difference..... Let me know what you all think!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Do you have a link where to get the xenon kit?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Great job done, thx for sharing!But, I wouldn't be happy if driving in night and seeing You in the opposite direction. That's why for Xenon special - lens headlights are made to guide the beam in correct direction and not to dazzle others.
LED interior light - like in new Audi's.

There should be a DIY section where such topics withcomprehensive description should be placed!

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Do you REALLY mean Xenon HID lights or just xenon upgrade bulbs?

if so..where did you place the ballast etc and what about the mandatory levelling and lamp washers as required in UK...obviously if just upgrade bulbs, not needed but watch you dont melt your reflectors/housings.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all, with regards to the xenons the only the only difference between cars which have xenons fitted as standard and those which do not is that as far as legalities go the headlights have to have automatic levelling which adjusts the headlight beam level whilst going up different gradient roads to minimise dazzle and should have headlight washers. However, all my cars have had xenons and because they are so common on new cars the police do not bat an eyelid! And also most do not have a clue about the legalities. What they are interested in is cars with one or no headlights or driving with fog lights on. One way you can be sure to not blind anyone is to turn the adjustment dial down a bit lower and not a problem! I have no link for a website as bought them from a car accessories shop in Dorset lol
Edited by: TakeUpWhite!

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Brodit bracket is excellent , I've used brodit stuff for years....no damage to car and perfect solution.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They are real xenon, the balasts i have mounted on brackets which i have bolted to holes already in the engine bay, Believe it or not the xenons are lower wattage that a normal halogen bulb! and all the ballasts do is convert the 20,000 volt charge used to ignite the bulbs to around 35 watts to run the bulb and maintain a constant level of power, a normal h4 halogen bulb as fitted standard is 55 watts on dipped beam and 65 on full so more power drawn from the car! also unlike halogen bulbs all of the power harnessed is put into producing light, not heat the xenon bulbs are not hot to touch! So no headlight melting
O the bulb is a single beam setup but when you flick on full beam there is a metal cover over the bulb which is electronically flicked off the bulb by the ballast to create more distance of the beam, works superbly! The only issue that may arise is at the MOT where the tester may fail the car. If you ask the tester first he will tell you his view on xenons and may even overlook them, if not just take them out and then put them back in again! Simples

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Excellent !!...link to what you fitted???

sounds like a great mod and having xenons on my current car and living rurally, a particularly useful one for me.

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
Looks good, I think you might be the other up that I have seen a couple of times driving around maybe.... where in dorset are you? Bournemouth side by any chance?

·
Registered
727 Posts
TakeUpWhite! said:
I have no link for a website as bought them from a car accessories shop in Dorset
Do you have a brand name and (better still) a part number..?

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Great pro installation...well done

1 - 20 of 31 Posts