Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The sporty VW Up GT will go on sale in 2013, VW R&D chief Ulrich Hackenberg has confirmed at the Paris motor show.

The Up GT was one of a number of Up-based concepts VW showed alongside the launch of the standard car at last year's Frankfurt motor show. Power comes from a 109bhp, 120lb ft version of the Up's 1.0-litre three-cylinder engine. It is mated to a six-speed manual gearbox.

Other modifications include sports suspension, larger alloy wheels and tyres, a bodykit and sports seats and added brightwork for the interior.

Hackenberg also confirmed the all-electric version of the Up was on tack for launch in 2013, with a CNG version due by the end of the year. The UP will be VW's first pure electric car; the Golf will be the next model to be turned into a pure EV.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/paris-motor-show-2012/vw-gt-confirmed-production

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Just E-mailed my Dealer to make me top of the list! ooohhh can't wait!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Be interesting to see if it includes an economy mode button.Anything that helps bring down the co2 numbers will be a bonus.
Given that there is asuggestion that 25% of VW production models are of the GTi performance type have VW got enough production capacity on the up! production line?

I can see the waiting list increasing to 20 weeks or more when this model hits the market.Remember there may well be the Skoda and Seat versions also.

vup rider

·
Registered
235 Posts
A Seat Mii Fr is almost a certainty, but Skoda are adamant there will not be a sporty Citigo - but I guess that could change!

It is also likely that the up! engine will find it's way into the next Polo - as Ford have done with the revised Fiesta - and a 1 litre turbo Golf is a possibility.

Apparently VW are confident they can get 160+ BHP from the turbo up! engine, so there could be more than one performance up!

·
Registered
532 Posts
If they think high power is an option, it must mean the basic engine is reliable and over engineered. We need to see that the aluminium crankcase is reliable.

I bought one of the first FIAT fire engines. Derivatives of that engine are still being made.

·
Registered
705 Posts
The late LJK Setright was a big fan of Fiat's FIRE. He noticed that it weighed less than a contemporary motorcycle engine of a similar displacement.

Nick

·
Registered
453 Posts
if they get the CO2 rating then this has potential to be a cult classic linked with sharp handling

just need to make it in carbon grey

·
Registered
265 Posts
Maybe I`m just getting old but I don`t get the GT. It looks good but other than that it will
just be a faster, more expensive and more uncomfortable version of what we already have

·
Registered
84 Posts
Leif said:
The car appeals, but I hope it doesn't look like that awful picture in the link. It looks like the silly modded piles of poop that (some) 18 year old males drive.

Could not agree more :)

·
Registered
532 Posts
I won't be buying a GT, but I would defend the right of anyone to drive anything that is personalised, or fast, or green and safe.

My other car is quite quick for me, but it's way too fast to drive it quickly on the lanes that I enjoy driving down. I much prefered small bikes than big ones. The same is true of cars. A good handling small car with decent brakes will just be fun. But it must not wreck my back. (Old git at 55)

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Even though it will be the sporty version, it will still be relatively low emissions/consumption etc

I too am an old git at 49 and I refuse to follow my friends with a male meno-Porsche !

·
Registered
705 Posts
Can't afford a Bentley, then? ;-)

Nick

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Mate ( orthopaedic surgeon) has the big 4 door Bentley.....awesome engineering but bonkers bills, and that's just filling it up! Mind you, I wish my home was as comfy!

·
Registered
587 Posts
I would have an Up! GT, the price will be the interesting part my guess would be 13K, but would be a pretty nippy little thing and quiteeconomicalespecially if standard with BMT.

·
Registered
228 Posts
There is a really good picture of the up! GT on the stand at the Paris motor show in this weeks Autocar.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
911sse said:
There is a really good picture of the up! GT on the stand at the Paris motor show in this weeks Autocar.

got a link to the photo? me want , me want !!!

·
Registered
587 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts