Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I read today that the UP GT willfinally go into production, is this really true ??

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
YES it is true but its anyones guess as to when !

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is brilliant news. They better fit a bl00dy boot light in it this time :)

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
if you download the 'netcarshow' app for your ipad and look under the new polo details, it states the turbo 3 cylinder will be used in the polo (from the upGT)...yippee!

ps, netcarshow app is pretty good to keep up with new stuff, eg today they had the new mini clubman and astra racing version on

·
Registered
251 Posts
Agreed. I follow NetCarShow on Facebook and they do have a lot of good photos before anyone else.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
vberry33 said:
This is brilliant news. They better fit a bl00dy boot light in it this time :)
Haha is that the only mod you want in the up! Gt

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It would be high on the list at least
That and asnow ploughmod to pushcars out of my way in traffic jams.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'd be tempted to cancel my Groove UP order if they announce this in the next couple of weeks.

I wonder if the dealer would transfer my deposit to the GT?

Please don't keep us in limbo, VW!

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Honest John website :-

Volkswagen has confirmed that the Up GT will go on sale in the UK this year. The sporty version of Volkswagen's small hatch was originally seen as a concept car in 2011 and while prototypes have been seen testing, rumours were that it had been canned due to budget constraints. However, the good news is that it's set to arrive here by the end of the year.

Seen as the spiritual successor to the Lupo GTI, the Up GT is powered by the same 1.0-litre three-cylinder engine as the rest of the range, but with power boosted to 110PS. Currently the most powerful Up develops 75PS. It also gets a six-speed manual as oppose to the five-speed gearbox currently in the standard Up.

Thanks to the tweaked turbocharger, the Up GT should feel very sprightly helped by a low kerbweight of less than 1000kg. It will get uprated brakes with discs all round replacing the rear drums on the standard car. The suspension set-up will be based on the current sports suspension package which has a 15mm lower ride height and different springs. Bespoke 16-inch alloys will also be standard.

In terms of styling there are new bumpers and a rear diffuser although the dual exhausts of the concept are unlikely to be on the production model. It will also get front LED daytime running lights currently only seen on the new e-Up. Performance figures haven't been revealed but a 0-62mph time of around 8.5 seconds is expected along with strong economy of more than 55mpg and low CO2 emissions.

There's no word on price yet but as the top model in the Up range (aside from the e-Up) you can expect it to cost around £14,500.

Meanwhile 2014 looks like another busy year for Volkswagen. The firm will debut the revised Polo at the Geneva Motor Show next month. There will be no radical change in the styling but there are updates to trim specifications and cleaner engines too. Later in the year we'll see a facelifted Scirocco and the unveiling of an all-new Passat. Volkswagen say it will have a more radical design than the rather conservative look of the current model.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for the info Privatedoc.
I guess, """¦ arrive here by the end of the year" means I should forget any plans to swap orders

Still, a couple of years down the line it will be fun, trading in.

·
Registered
467 Posts
It's written the GT will have LED DLR's currently seen on e-Up.. If they will be the same, than we can forget the sporty look front bumper like in concept.

But it's written tricky, so You can't understand exactly..

·
Super Moderator
1,050 Posts
Official 0-60 for the Lupo GTI is 8.3 seconds and that has 125bhp! I can get mid to low 7's out of mine if you launch it right, plus 0-60 times are recorded by the manufacturer with a brand new zero miles engine, so should get a bit faster as it loosens up over time....

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
and being a turbo...will be ripe for chipping!

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Supermegamonkee said:
I dread to think what some of the tuners will get out of it! Haha

some significant gains and a somewhat shorter engine lifespan no doubt....should imagine 130bhp ish

·
Registered
540 Posts
£14,500. I wouldn't ever consider getting one new (never bought a new car, never will), but maybe 1 Y/O as a trade or something.

Can still get a 1ltr Zetec-S ecoboost for (a lot) less than that (ex dem at £11,999 is the cheapest I've seen it), and arguably that will still be the better car albeit with less good residuals.

Opinions may differ, naturally.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts