Up Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
rumours are flying about a 1.0 3 cylinder trubo charged GT version of the UP with 105 bhp, surely going to be worth the wait or will it

·
Registered
329 Posts
Yeah, will be out next year. VW boss also not ruled out a 'GTI' and maybe even an 'R' version. GT sounds sweet as will be pretty quick but still retain low co2 and high mpg (assuming you don't drive it like you stole it :))

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GT will be my highest I will go, currently have a 1.6 Astra that weighs a ton under titanic and thats got 85 bhp and it's enough for me but don't want a 75bhp UP as it will be my last car (plan on keeping it for the rest of my life as petrol cars will soon be exstint). if this GT is 105bhp what do you think other specs will be ?

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
yeah but the up is a city car, they arent really being built for performance so i doubt theyd make one upto 200bhp

ps.... its spelt extinct

·
Registered
329 Posts
Personally I can see a GTI using a 3 cylinder turbo engine at around 130-150bhp, but I would doubt an R would ever be made. But, who knows. 130-150bhp in a car as light as the up would be plenty powerful enough I would think. :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
150 bhp in a car that light would be exceptionally quick, probably sub 7 seconds, depending on the number of gears you need to change. The BMW 120d is 180bhp 1400kg and 7.2 seconds. thats 128bhp per tonne.

The up at 120 bhp would be about the same power to weight of 128 bhp / tonne assuming a 935kg car, to allow for slightly heavier components

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it will be awesome no matter what. Can only see them bringing a gti or r as a limited edition as I don't think the majority of up fans will be massive petrol heads and if they do it'll be probleys slower than a vxr and more expensive

·
Registered
453 Posts
i'd be more than happy with the GT as the added 'i' will no doubt add three figures to your insurance

would be grate if they could use similar tech on the engine (whatever it is) as the Polo Blue GT to get that the C02 figures down to sub 100g/km then then people would be beating down the door to Dovercourt in Battersea if congestion charge except

around 120bhp would be fine on a small turbo engine given the torque

VW just need to get the sporty feel right with some retro touches so red seat belts checked trim etc so it feels a bit special even when you are going nowhere fast

1 - 12 of 12 Posts