Up Owners Club banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,045 Posts
This is madness. Stupid money for a set of wheels and tyres. Prices rise through an increase in demand. Either loads of Up GTI owners are wrecking their wheels on pot holes or thieves are stealing sets and creating the demand.

I guess there are too many retired Up GTI owners out there with decent index linked final salary scheme pensions that are happy to drop £300 on a (spare) wheel. Most normal people spend £50 max on eBay or at a breakers!
As stated before, these wheels are £477.74 inc vat from VW, a Goodyear tyre is around £135 if you can find one, so Baz's prices are more than fair imo.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well, as a retired person, I know only 1 retired friend with "decent index linked final salary scheme pension", and he was a senior doctor working in A&E. He has just scrapped a 12 yo Mondeo with 200K on the clock, and can't afford another car for while. The rest of my retired friends mostly have sod all, and could only dream of a car - any car - less than 10 years old.... :)

But no sane person spends that kind of cash on a wheel! It's vanity winning over wallet! Most alloys, even relatively inexpensive ones, look "good enough", and usually keep the tyre in place...

If wheels need changing owing to damage, I personally find that not kerbing them keeps them looking OK. And if given a choice, I'd only buy wheel and tyre combinations where the tyre is proud of the alloy rim (less damaging, or cheaper if you do kerb)! :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Some of these comments lol

Long gone are the days with your Saxo VTS trawling the breakers yard for a cheap spare wheel.

I don't know why manufacturers don't supply a full size GTi wheel in the boot. Perhaps this would affect hitting the magic 1000kg for the car 🤔.

Nothing worse if your driving round the UK in your pride and joy worrying that you only have Tyre sealant in the boot.

Being stranded 200 miles from home with just a Space Saver on the car on a rainy Sunday is no fun especially that the Space Saver doesn't go over the front caliper 🙈

I would have a full size factory wheel for a spare every time for piece of mind

·
Registered
70 Posts
As stated before, these wheels are £477.74 inc vat from VW, a Goodyear tyre is around £135 if you can find one, so Baz's prices are more than fair imo
Dear lupogtiboy - do you know if any 15" Merano wheels 1S0.071.495.A.8Z8 are currently available from VW UK? I'm thinking of getting one as a spare.

·
Registered
182 Posts
As stated before, these wheels are £477.74 inc vat from VW, a Goodyear tyre is around £135 if you can find one, so Baz's prices are more than fair imo.
Thanks for confirming the ridiculous price of these wheels and tyres. £2448 for set of 4 can only encourage one thing; people to steal them to create a used market. This is Lamborghini money not budget up GTI territory. The high price of replacement parts also puts up car insurance.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Thanks for confirming the ridiculous price of these wheels and tyres. £2448 for set of 4 can only encourage one thing; people to steal them to create a used market. This is Lamborghini money not budget up GTI territory. The high price of replacement parts also puts up car insurance.
I wouldn't say its budget Up GTI territory when VW have increased the price to nearly £16k before options as they know they have something special.

Being a VW owner for over 20 years I would say this Diamond cut Alloy wheel design is one of the nicest wheels I've seen in a long time.

I bought the car in May used from a non VW garage with the 2 kerbed alloys already on the car hence why I bought a new set

·
Super Moderator
1,045 Posts
VW set the prices, not me. Just remember that VW have approached a company and asked them to design a wheel to suit a certain vehicle that no other make has. Its called bespoke, makes things more expensive. Yes you can buy a set of 4 alloys and tyres cheaper from Halfrauds if you really want to and it'll do the job just fine.

If you think Up GTI rims are expensive, look up a Golf R Pretoria rim, 8j x 19 £1030.03 each inc vat, no tyres included. Or an Audi SQ7 22'' rim, £1528.73 each inc vat, again without a tyre. That's madness.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts