Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Welcome. The vast majority of us are delighted with the GTi.. I doubt you'll be disappointed.
Mandatory pics when you get it !

Reactions: BillTheButcher

·
Registered
140 Posts
It is a great car,nice and quiet and smooth. I have always preferred automatics and still do really,but the car is so flexible i mostly go from second gear to fifth,or in third you can slow almost to a stop and then power away again effortlessly in third,so its like a one gear automatic.
What colour did you go for and any extras?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What colour did you go for and any extras?
White.

Is there an optional extras list for the original Up GTI? I can only find the brochure for the latest one online.

It had to be 5-door with cruise control and climate control. I thought I'd want a reversing camera but I've got one on my current car and I've never used it. :LOL:

I'd have liked folding mirrors (narrow garage) but I can live without them.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Cruise control is an extra and it comes with rear parking sensors. Climate is also an extra.
My car is Red with a black roof,cruise and park.
They only do online brochures now, not glossy printed ones.like many car companies,mores the pity.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cruise control is an extra and it comes with rear parking sensors. Climate is also an extra.
This was one of only three cars that I could find with climate control. I know it's not a must-have for a lot of people but I was surprised at how many weren't specced with it from new, considering the cost.

·
Registered
207 Posts
This was one of only three cars that I could find with climate control. I know it's not a must-have for a lot of people but I was surprised at how many weren't specced with it from new, considering the cost.
There seems quite an ebb and flow of cars with and without.

Sods law probably says that when there are plenty of cars with climate for sale there are more people looking for cars without and at other times the complete opposite situation occurs.

Reactions: BillTheButcher

·
Registered
315 Posts
Climate control is a no-brainer at the price. Much more effective than the std a/c.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Does the climate system offer a more powerful chiller unit than the standard on/off Aircon unit? Or is is the same but with electronic temperature stabilization. If more powerful, can the compressor/chiller unit be retrofitted but without the temp control unit?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Does the climate system offer a more powerful chiller unit than the standard on/off Aircon unit? Or is is the same but with electronic temperature stabilization. If more powerful, can the compressor/chiller unit be retrofitted but without the temp control unit?
Pretty certain it would be the same mechanical parts and cooling system. The Climate offers automatic control (when in Auto mode) so will attempt to hold a set temperature, fan control is automated so will speed up if temp rises above set point and slow down if it falls, control of flaps in heater unit is automated with servo motors.

So it’s just that the control is analogue vs digital really.

·
Registered
209 Posts
OK, thanks.

Yes, I would have been surprised if the chiller itself was different, and so was wondering what was meant by CC being called 'more effective', although I agree CC is definitely easier and nicer to use than an on/off system.

Most cars I have had recently have had dual CC, and were able to literally chill me, even when I lived abroad and it was 45C outside! The Up!/Citigo/Mii aircon is surprisingly weak by comparison (being a small city car), and struggles even in here in Cornwall (it is working to spec and the car is new).

I know for some cars aimed for different markets, the makers may fit different Aircon units to suit local conditions, so I was wondering if this is case with Up!s too....?

·
Registered
207 Posts
OK, thanks.

Yes, I would have been surprised if the chiller itself was different, and so was wondering what was meant by CC being called 'more effective', although I agree CC is definitely easier and nicer to use than an on/off system.

Most cars I have had recently have had dual CC, and were able to literally chill me, even when I lived abroad and it was 45C outside! The Up!/Citigo/Mii aircon is surprisingly weak by comparison (being a small city car), and struggles even in here in Cornwall (it is working to spec and the car is new).

I know for some cars aimed for different markets, the makers may fit different Aircon units to suit local conditions, so I was wondering if this is case with Up!s too....?
I understand where you’re coming from, I don’t know if the make a higher duty system for the up! it’s probably just one for the whole of Europe, I guess Greece or Turkey would be the highest ambient temp country’s it’s sold in although Mexico must be pretty scorchio as well but maybe that is a different North or South American spec of car? A bigger hp a/c system absorbs more power (and up’s emissions), I remember an add on one for a Metro in the 80’s sapped at least 10% of the 60hp the car had... must have been fun on steep hills.

With our cars I think the lack of central dash vents is partly to blame, the upper dash vent just cools/bounces off the screen and then heads for the occupants.

Compared to the Astra I’ve recently sold the cooling system in the up! seems to have considerably more power.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have only had the air con on once to test it. I thought it was like a fridge it was so cold. My Smart was the opposite. I could not tell any difference with the air con on or without with just the temp set on cold.
More important for me is the heater and that makes the car nice and toasty on my UP GTI and even better with the heated seats.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have only had the air con on once to test it. I thought it was like a fridge it was so cold. My Smart was the opposite. I could not tell any difference with the air con on or without with just the temp set on cold.
More important for me is the heater and that makes the car nice and toasty on my UP GTI and even better with the heated seats.
Yes, pretty much the same, I think I’ve had mine on twice. The manual ‘cold button’ is a very positive on or off thing whereas with climate you can have the a/c ready to run and not realise it (you can still turn it off though). It’s good to run it every now and again to keep the seal on the compressor drive lubricated which improves the chances of it retaining its refrigerant charge.

·
Registered
209 Posts
No need for heated seats in the SW of Cornwall at any time of year! We have had a few days this summer where the chiller was slow, but eventually it does cool the car to a reasonable level; it might not work that well in southern Iberia in summer though.... My last vehicle went from internal temp of 35C to 18C in maybe a minute or so. Mustn't grumble though, as the current car's aircon is great for demisting in the coming colder weather, and has been said, it saps power and uses fuel....

·
Registered
140 Posts
I do feel the cold so i like a good heater. I do use the air con to demist the screen in the cars i have owned,mostly in the winter,however these days being retired i dont use my car in the winter or at least only rarely. I use my bus pass instead.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I momentarily thought "use my bus pass instead" meant it was for scraping ice off the windscreen - an activity I remember from 7 years back, before I retired.... But I see what you mean :)

Sadly, I'm still 3 years off a bus pass, and more importantly, the state pension :) (if either still exist in the next few years!), and also the chance of buying a new up GTi has now passed me by :( Might as well turn to drink and shout at the spreaders!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I enjoy being retired.The only problem with being retired is you never get a day off lol.It is nice not to have to go out in the cold to work in the winter.
I used to leave my Smart standing idle in the winter,sometimes for 4 to 6 weeks.I did not go near it,but when i did after all that time it always started first time. I just hope my UP GTI will be as reliable.
There are new UP GTIs advertised on Autotrader and loads of nearly new,so you will still be able to buy one.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts