Up Owners Club banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
I enjoy being retired.The only problem with being retired is you never get a day off lol.It is nice not to have to go out in the cold to work in the winter.
I used to leave my Smart standing idle in the winter,sometimes for 4 to 6 weeks.I did not go near it,but when i did after all that time it always started first time. I just hope my UP GTI will be as reliable.
There are new UP GTIs advertised on Autotrader and loads of nearly new,so you will still be able to buy one.
Might be worth getting a little solar charger if the car is stood outside or a decent smart trickle charger if it’s stood in a garage with power, mine is plugged into one as we speak.

I’ve not driven again for almost 2 weeks, if I tried I reckon I could easily get away without the need to until at least Christmas or if that festive period is cancelled as suggested then maybe Easter 2021, so externally supporting the battery is a necessity for me.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Day off? Sometimes I want to go back to work for a rest..... :)
👍

Reminds inversely me of an electrician I used to work with, if we’d had a particularly slack period during the day but something went wrong we had to look at he’d say “fancy a ‘work break’ Ash?”.

Reactions: freemansteve

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yes guys being retired is a full time job.
I never needed a battery charger with my Smart so i hope i wont need one with my GTI. As i said i left it for weeks on end,which is why i only did 1000 miles a year in the car. It was a diesel so im not sure if they are better at starting when left,but i will see in the winter how my GTI starts.
You do a low mileage like me Ash.My friends say i dont need a car but on a sunny day like we have had today its nice to go for a drive. I drove 50 miles just for fun. Got stuck in traffic jams,then put my foot down when the road cleared and got 60 MPG according to the MFD.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts