Up Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2018 UP GTI with the optional Beats upgrade. Have to say I'm not that impressed with it - coming from a Golf R that had Dynaudio, the mids and treble in the Beats system seem (to my ear holes at least) muddy and indistinct in comparison. Quite surprising I thought, given that the architecture of the system is the same as that employed in the Golf Dynaudio system (i.e. standard head unit, separate additional amp and subwoofer). I've tried to improve the output by endlessly adjusting the bass mid and treble controls on the head unit using a "reference track" to set up, with no success. Suspecting the speakers, I thought I'd have a quick look.

It seems that VW have used bog standard VW cone speakers in conjunction with an additional amp and subwoofer to create their Beats system, instead of bespoke high-quality speakers like the items used in the Golf Dynaudio system. I think that this explains some of the comments I have previously read from owners who had sampled both standard and Beats audio in the Up and thought that the Beats was no discernible improvement over standard. Given that the option price for the UP Beats system is around £200 less than that of the Golf Dynaudio option some corner-cutting is perhaps understandable, but the area in which VW seem to have chosen to make cost savings on the UP Beats system is most regrettable, given that the most important aspect of any audio system is the quality of the speakers. I'm therefore looking to replace the standard 6" (I believe) UP speakers with the Golf Dynaudio items as I'm sure this will lead to a substantial improvement in sound quality without the need for any further action.

Has anyone else experienced ongoing dissatisfaction with the output of the Beats system, and successfully improved it by upgrading the speakers?

·
Registered
523 Posts
I believe, as noted, the speakers are just bog standard speakers as fitted to all in the UP range, as is the head unit, only difference is the amplifier under the drivers seat, and the sub in the boot. I find my wife's 3 door Beats model to have far superior sound quality and much higher volume than the 5 door Beats Mii I had. Could not understand the quite dramatic difference between the two, was as if the systems were completely different. The subwoofer in the boot does absolutely nothing for the system, in my opinion. Removed both to fit full size spare wheels in the space.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The badges on the "A" pillars
I think you could be right.
From our previous Seat mii with bog std stereo to the Up with Beats, i can`t see what the fuss is about. As this was fitted to our car anyway (ex demo), i would have been pi**ed off with forking out for it as an option.

·
Super Moderator
3,148 Posts
The beats system is basically a speaker level amp made by Panasonic ( crap) and a weeny 6” passive sub in a plastic enclosure. Having recently changed cars , I don’t miss the beats at all . I too had a golf with Dynaudio and it is a whole different kettle of potatoes and worth it in my opinion , the beats isn’t!

·
Registered
146 Posts
This subject has been mentioned before and My opinion is still the same,the Beats system is no better than the standard six speaker system to My ears.Some people thinks its brilliant.As always there will be different opinions.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is anyone able to please confirm the diameter of the front and rear OEM speakers? I believe they are 6" as per the Golf and other models.

·
Super Moderator
3,148 Posts
Yes, you need to drill out the pop rivets holding them in!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Interested to see if this makes an improvement. My car was from stock so spec was given (although I probably would have specd it anyway) but it would be good to improve it at high volume.

I notice it seems to clip the levels back when volume is up, presumably to prevent damage to speakers.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interested to see if this makes an improvement. My car was from stock so spec was given (although I probably would have specd it anyway) but it would be good to improve it at high volume.

I notice it seems to clip the levels back when volume is up, presumably to prevent damage to speakers.
I'll keep you posted. Another issue seems to be that while the speakers in the front doors are "Bass Speakers" the rear speakers are "Broadband Speakers", a description which suggests they are neither fish nor fowl and is probably reflected in the sound quality thereof ....

·
Super Moderator
3,148 Posts
sadly the speakers are all pish.......£50 aftermarket ones are far superior

·
Registered
35 Posts
sadly the speakers are all pish.......£50 aftermarket ones are far superior
Any guides on replacing the speakers? I'd happily have a go at replacing the rear door speakers (5-door) since when you play with the fader, it's clear that these are far worse than the fronts.

This should also highlight whether it is speakers or amp which are the weaker point.

·
Super Moderator
3,148 Posts
never replaced them on our ups but did on the amarok....just got a pair of co-ax speakers from bass junkies online and they supplied the rim adapters....drilled out the pop rivets, binned the speakers and used self tappers to mount the new rings ...speakers just screwed into the rings and bobs your uncle

·
Super Moderator
3,148 Posts
one thing re speaker switch....get some spare door pop clips before you start, it is nigh on impossible to not snap a few.....I get them on ebay for peanuts

·
Registered
35 Posts
one thing re speaker switch....get some spare door pop clips before you start, it is nigh on impossible to not snap a few.....I getem on ebay for peanuts
Would you happen to have a link/part number for the clips? There are a dizzying amount on eBay so want to make sure I get the right ones?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,148 Posts
I bought a box of loads of different sizes for about £7. Silly but different cars use different sizes, our amarok uses 3 different sizes on each door!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Would you happen to have a link/part number for the clips? There are a dizzying amount on eBay so want to make sure I get the right ones?

Thanks
Have a look here. Part item number 10, I believe. I did manage to remove the trim on my wife's UP without damaging them, but I was probably just lucky as I have damaged loads on previous cars.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had focal fronts in for a while, OEM AMP didn't have enough drive for these and the sound was really flat.
treble was a improvement so these are still in but mid/bass are OEM once again.

I guess its just to accept that its crap and live with it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts