Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to switch to slightly smaller 16" wheels on the GTi, but I'm aware not everything will fit over the caliper.

Has anyone done it, which ones...and post a picture please so I can see how they look ;)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Got a set of OEM VW Merano 15" wheels for the little red chariot last year. They fit over the front calipers fine.
20190719_170645.jpg
20190723_093148.jpg
20190728_123354.jpg

Reactions: plancast

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hey
Just looking at this as there are some savage country lanes on way to one of my barns, what’s the benefit of doing this , guessing more resilient to rough terrain ....... ? I do worry I’m going to shatter an alloy

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Vroom they actually don't look that small - does it drive/ride better now?

Hey
Just looking at this as there are some savage country lanes on way to one of my barns, what’s the benefit of doing this , guessing more resilient to rough terrain ....... ? I do worry I’m going to shatter an alloy
There's a great article here:

My UpGTi is a daily over some pretty poor roads, so I'm looking to improve things a little; I think 15" is a little too small, but I think dropping to 16" with a better tyre too could really improve things.

·
Registered
85 Posts
@Vroom they actually don't look that small - does it drive/ride better now?
Yes. And they're more forgiving over speed bumps and those pesky potholes.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
They're not strictly GTi, (although quite a similar design.)
They're Upsilon, used on earlier high spec Ups.
I bought a set for my wife's Tsi, as we couldn't get a wheel change when she bought it new,
See pic attached

Attachments

·
Registered
316 Posts
For me 15 inch wheels look hideous on the GTI......16s look good though.. I like those OZs but I bet they are around a grand ..

There is another thread just now where a set of GTI replicas in 16 inch are £450 on EBay. Identical looks better ride quality IF they are decent which as yet we don’t know 👍

·
Registered
562 Posts
Those wheels could be the answer to a lot of people's prayers as I've yet to see a wheel that looks as good as the standard ones...

I know you aren't a lover of them Charlie

·
Registered
627 Posts
Barney that winter wheel set up is the best I’ve seen imho.
I’ve seen some on here that are truly hideous and ruin a nice looking car.
The OZ wheels a few post above are stunning and worthy of of the GTI.
Most of the others I’ve seen imho are hideous.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My OZ’s above are Alleggerita hlt 16x7 et37
14,1kg with 205/45-16 tire

OEM wheel and tire 17,9kg

·
Registered
316 Posts
Those wheels could be the answer to a lot of people's prayers as I've yet to see a wheel that looks as good as the standard ones...

I know you aren't a lover of them Charlie
Your right I’m no lover of the standard wheels nor any black wheels but that’s just personal choice.
I will be replacing my ones when we’re moving around normally, I was going to sell the standard ones but I darent because if I decide to sell the car and a prospective owner wants originals I’d be stuffed. To buy another set of originals later on would be mega expensive and that’s IF I could find some. So these ones will go in the loft over the garage,

I quite like these. £550 for four 👍👍👍
0945AD71-3E87-4B09-B366-CF4A2786B8B8.jpeg

1 - 20 of 142 Posts