Up Owners Club banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
I know about unsprung weight, but are not talking track cars here, so I'd be surprised if you could tell on real roads in a test in any normal Up! - and the cost!..

·
Registered
95 Posts
to be fair I think people are going to 16s in order to improve ride and handling and reduce the chance of snake bite punctures.. the unsprung weight thing is just a nice bonus..

·
Registered
588 Posts
I wonder how well the UP GTI would have sold with a pair of belt and braces 15” no frills wheels ?

·
Registered
588 Posts
indeed, the wheels do carry the look.
Exactly ! It’s the stand out feature on this car .
I can understand the comfort benefits of 15s or 16s and certainly agree about chucking on smaller pig ugly wheels while running winter tyres but no way could would I run them all year.
Personally I’ve no issue whatsoever with the comfort of the 17s but I’m a young 54 year old pup lol!

·
Registered
981 Posts
I set my pressures at 30 / 28psi shortly after getting the car new, after some experimentation. I have no problem with the ride quality now either, nor have I had any punctures or blowouts.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Me too !

·
Registered
588 Posts
I’ll swop some 16” steels for the Oswalds . Those steel wheels are super practical ? Lol.

·
Registered
776 Posts
They are practical, Sean - in the winter, as spares, with snow tyres fitted, if you are somewhere very cold, and where you might slide and bang into the kerb in the ice ! LOL....

But I suspect your deal is rather one-sided :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have fitted the 15 " G60 Style wheels originally fitted to Corrado & Golf
and they actually look quite purposeful on the GTI .
With them being steel they are more conducive to winter conditions i.e
pot holes etc.

·
Registered
588 Posts
pot holes etc.
That’s a good choice imho. The G60 steel has a tough rugged look snd makes a great winter wheel set up .(y)

·
Registered
310 Posts
pot holes etc.
Did you just buy standard VW G60 corrado steels?
There are some for sale described as "G60 style steel wheel, 15x6 inches. ET35. With a 4x100 stud pattern. TUV approved "
Do you think these would fit and clear the front brake calipers?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I bought a Tsi because I know how **** I am with wheels! No ego here. 😊😁

However, if anyone is ever selling a GTI with those VW 16in winter wheels, I'd be interested...

·
Registered
182 Posts
i felt the change from the polygon 17"(tehy weight the same as the gti wheel) to my sparco trofeo 4 16" , it was massive iven though i only had 90bhp at the time ,now 145 and the sparco does fit the gti since i later retrofitted gti brakes

regards
Sören

·
Registered
95 Posts
Do you have the exact spec for sparco trofeo 4 16"? there seems to be some options on Demon Tweeks etc..

What do people think my Alloys are worth? I would make sure they are refurbed prior to sale? Anyone want to make an offer. ;)

·
Registered
182 Posts
6.5*16 et 37 there was only one at the time i bought them,and 3 colors i run 195/45/16 hancook evo s1 works okey , you really do feel the weight saving
regards
Sören
Do you have the exact spec for sparco trofeo 4 16"? there seems to be some options on Demon Tweeks etc..

What do people think my Alloys are worth? I would make sure they are refurbed prior to sale? Anyone want to make an offer. ;)

41 - 60 of 81 Posts