Up Owners Club banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did you just buy standard VW G60 corrado steels?
There are some for sale described as "G60 style steel wheel, 15x6 inches. ET35. With a 4x100 stud pattern. TUV approved "
Do you think these would fit and clear the front brake calipers?
The ones i have are the G60 style wheels , which fit fine over the front brake calipers.
Hope this helps .

·
Registered
95 Posts
Well the straw broke the camels back this week :(

That's five ruined tyres in 25k

Two trips to Edinburgh To Preston in a week, two or three pot holes on the devils beeftub and two written off (nearly new) front tyres, three bulges one one tyre and one on the other. Oh and apparently some cord is showing on the tread (inside the tread wtf!) on a rear - must be a manufacturing error - and the other is at 3mm so 4 new tyres needed :(

So just pulled the trigger on a set of Sparco Trofeo 4 in Gloss Bronze :) The car wont look as it good but hopefully at least it will be fit for purpose now and may even ride and handle better.

Still on the fence on the Oswalds, might sell or might just put them in the loft until sale time. Or maybe next winter I will stick some winters on the Sparcos and use the Oswalds next summer.

I nearly switched allegiance to a Fiesta ST this week, seeing as they are dropping into the 13-14k price range but then my Mrs came out to meet me in it and it looked soo good driving up the road.

So back on plan to chip it in summer and see if I can be the first to get one to 100k.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Well the straw broke the camels back this week :(

That's five ruined tyres in 25k

Two trips to Edinburgh To Preston in a week, two or three pot holes on the devils beeftub and two written off (nearly new) front tyres, three bulges one one tyre and one on the other. Oh and apparently some cord is showing on the tread (inside the tread wtf!) on a rear - must be a manufacturing error - and the other is at 3mm so 4 new tyres needed :(

So just pulled the trigger on a set of Sparco Trofeo 4 in Gloss Bronze :) The car wont look as it good but hopefully at least it will be fit for purpose now and may even ride and handle better.

Still on the fence on the Oswalds, might sell or might just put them in the loft until sale time. Or maybe next winter I will stick some winters on the Sparcos and use the Oswalds next summer.

I nearly switched allegiance to a Fiesta ST this week, seeing as they are dropping into the 13-14k price range but then my Mrs came out to meet me in it and it looked soo good driving up the road.

So back on plan to chip it in summer and see if I can be the first to get one to 100k.
Great choice on the wheels. Have you gone 16” ? If so what size tyres and do you require spacers to clear the calipers?
I will be storing my Oswolds mostly because buyers in the future will likely want the car on standard rims. They seem extraordinarily popular though I’m not at all keen on them 👍👍

·
Registered
776 Posts
I agree - the Oswalds are somewhat "brutal" looking, but obviously many people like them...
For me, the Tropheos in matt black would salve my minimalistic urges....
I bet Tootes goes for 16"...... :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Commiserations Tootes. Know how you feel. I managed about 1000 miles in my lovely new car before being caught out by one of our many Borders potholes. Big bulge on the sidewall of a virtually brand new tyre. When I bought the car I asked if there was a 16" option, but of course there wasn't.
I was about to as the same questions as Charliefairlie. I had also spotted the Sparcos a being a possibility but wasn't sure about the offset and calliper clearance. Your advice would e appreciated. (Not fussed about Oswalds -I will happily sell mine with tyres (less than 2500 careful OAP miles from new!)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Commiserations Tootes. Know how you feel. I managed about 1000 miles in my lovely new car before being caught out by one of our many Borders potholes. Big bulge on the sidewall of a virtually brand new tyre. When I bought the car I asked if there was a 16" option, but of course there wasn't.
I was about to as the same questions as Charliefairlie. I had also spotted the Sparcos a being a possibility but wasn't sure about the offset and calliper clearance. Your advice would e appreciated. (Not fussed about Oswalds -I will happily sell mine with tyres (less than 2500 careful OAP miles from new!)
Oswolds make mad money. If shod with good tyres the value of them will more than pay for a half decent set of wheels and tyres.
It really is the cost of replacing them that prohibits selling. Next owner may like most do really like the Oswolds the car came on and it could result in a car hard to sell.....

Though I like certain modifications I wouldn’t buy a modded car. So I do mostly the easily reversable stuff . I wouldn’t even look at a car ....Any car that wasn’t on its original wheels . 👍👍👍

·
Registered
95 Posts
So In answer to the questions yes I went for 16s. I spoke to Demon tweeks and I they do come with some inserts/spacers. I have confirmed they are fit for the GTI though and another guy on here has them.

Demon are delivering with a set of Uniroyal RainSport 5 fitted so I am pretty happy. 195/45/16 I believe.

Only issue is its 2-3 weeks delivery at the moment, so fingers crossed there are no delivery problems. They were £100 cheaper than elsewhere though. I can run around in my wifes Juke whilst I wait for them.

My man maths was based on the Oswolds selling as was telling the wife, but I will probably still keep them - I think they look great.

And finally yes I am happy the decision has now been made, because it has been an issue that has taken the shine off the car. I still think that it is absolutely fabulous when flat out late at night on a good road.

Next step is to get my S1 Elise running and I will have two great lightweight drivers specials.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Demon are delivering with a set of Uniroyal RainSport 5 fitted so I am pretty happy. 195/45/16 I believe.
Oooo, interesting choice. I had a set of Rainsport 3's on a Mini years ago after seeing them recommended on PH a lot. I was really impressed with them, especially in the wet (as the name implies :LOL:). When I get round to swapping the tyres on the UP these will definitely be in consideration so I'll be interested to know what you you think about the 5's once you've put a few miles on them.

·
Registered
189 Posts
How are you getting round the TPMS ?? Are you having new valves and sensors coded in or taking the originals from the old wheels ?

·
Registered
95 Posts
How are you getting round the TPMS ?? Are you having new valves and sensors coded in or taking the originals from the old wheels ?
Not something I have thought about as I assumed the sensor is linked to the ABS Sensor.

My puncture warning light has now been on for over 6 months so I don't really give a toss if it is becomes permanent feature.

The dealer have now got it switched off but it lights up if I fart.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Looks like the TPMS thing could turn into a ballache come MOT time.

The wheels are being delivered with tyres fitted so I guess I might need to talk to them to get some installed (and work out how to code them) or at MOT time chance it and if it gets failed then switch them from the oswolds.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Not something I have thought about as I assumed the sensor is linked to the ABS Sensor.

My puncture warning light has now been on for over 6 months so I don't really give a toss if it is becomes permanent feature.

The dealer have now got it switched off but it lights up if I fart.
TPMS has special valves... One on each wheel. They have sensors that detect low pressures. I’m pretty sure if a sensor on the Up triggers it just puts up a light on the dash. There is only one warning light. Some cars have a slightly more complex system that tells you exactly which wheel sensor has triggered the warning light.
There are devices known as TPMS emulators which fool the system into thinking all four sensors are in place and working fine.
The other way I’ve got round it before is to find a live wire in the TPMS system and put a micro switch in. A 3 way switch will allow 1 or 2 sets of sensors to be used . So if you have a summer set of wheels and a set of winters that would use 2 poles of the switch whilst the third position would turn the TPMS off.....
Forgive me if my description uses the wrong terms I’m dyslexic.

Anyway a pal whose really into these electronic things is working on how I will be doing my car... I couldn’t live with lights on the dash.

Im not sure but I think having a TPMS light on the dash is an MOT fail....

I will keep you in the loop as we sort this one out 👍👍

·
Registered
981 Posts
I believe the Up TPMS is indirect, therefore doesn't rely on any wheel, valve, or tyre sensors, but works off the abs system. It works on rolling radius of the tyre, ie if a tyre loses pressure it rolls faster than a correctly inflated one.. If the speed of the under-inflated tyre gets above a certain percentage more than the other three, it triggers the warning light. I took my daughter's GTi in for a new tyre, (after her only blowout on a pothole) and the fitter just replaced the original valve with a standard one. No issues at all . So, you don't need to remove anything from your current wheel / tyre set-up.

Reactions: Charliefarlie

·
Registered
189 Posts
I believe the Up TPMS is indirect, therefore doesn't rely on any wheel, valve, or tyre sensors, but works off the abs system. It works on rolling radius of the tyre, ie if a tyre loses pressure it rolls faster than a correctly inflated one.. If the speed of the under-inflated tyre gets above a certain percentage more than the other three, it triggers the warning light. I took my daughter's GTi in for a new tyre, (after her only blowout on a pothole) and the fitter just replaced the original valve with a standard one. No issues at all . So, you don't need to remove anything from your current wheel / tyre set-up.
Be cool if that’s right. 👍 There’s a chap on one of the FB pages selling a set of alloys and he’s adamant it has sensor valves in them. They are not GTI wheels though..
I will have a look at my valves tomorrow. TPMS ones usually have metal stems rather than rubber. 👍

·
Registered
776 Posts
This type of TPMS (on an Up! And lots of VAG cars) uses wheel speed data from ABS sensors and steering angle (at least the latter is a common way to do it on many cars to get better accuracy). The idea is that over a certain distance, if a wheel appears to be turning more slowly* than the others, it is assumed to deflated or deflating and you get a dashboard light and a 'ding'.

I think on my model version, the reset/recalibrate button is by gearshift. Or at least, near. If you change a wheel without checking tyre pressures, you may well need to recalibrate using the button, or set the right pressures.

*EDIT A deflated tyre will turn faster than the others!

·
Registered
981 Posts
"Be cool if that’s right. 👍 There’s a chap on one of the FB pages selling a set of alloys and he’s adamant it has sensor valves in them. They are not GTI wheels though..
I will have a look at my valves tomorrow. TPMS ones usually have metal stems rather than rubber."
👍
Mine are rubber. Think you'll find that the guy is mistaken, (unless the wheels are from a car with a Direct TPMS) as our GTi system is indirect TPMS.

·
Registered
588 Posts
This is petrol peds experience with TPMS

·
Registered
404 Posts
It's definitely not anything to do with the valves it's just a basic system that calculates the rolling radius as already mentioned above! I've changed the tyres with my stepson and it's just a basic old school valve... You press the button near the gearstick it calculates and then if running low on air or very rarely if it's freezing cold it can trigger the warning on the dash

61 - 80 of 81 Posts