Up Owners Club banner

81 - 100 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Wheels are on, ride is defo improved, not really tested the handling yet but it feels lighter on turn in.

or I could be imagining it..

Will follow up with some picks. It looks even more toy like but pretty cool.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Wheels are on, ride is defo improved, not really tested the handling yet but it feels lighter on turn in.
I upgraded to mag wheels on an Impreza years ago saving about 4kg per corner and I could hardly believe the difference it made. Been a convert of light wheels ever since.

Got my finger hovering over the buy button for a set of lightweight 16" wheels off Ebay (15% voucher code expires tonight) and would take the opportunity to upgrade the tyres at the same time but only doing about 50 miles a week at the moment and struggling to justify it :/

·
Registered
118 Posts

Ok so a quick update as I did 50 or so miles on Scotland's finest roads at 5am looking for surf this morning.

The ride is much improved, that bit of harshness has been taken away, its still a hard car, dont get me wrong but, down the local single track and narrow and potholed roads it really does soak up the imperfections better.
I no longer need to pick a line down some of the worst roads.

Handling, I really need to hammer it more but I would say that there is defo an improvement - I tipped it into a couple of corners and it just feels a bit better, more feel though the chassis as well - that might be the tyres too which are better than the outgoing ones.

And I think it looks ok too. Not as good as the Oswalds but the trade off has been worth it.

Of and the Oswalds were 18.2kg with tyres and the new ones 14kg - so just over 4Kg a corner which is quite a % saving on rolling unsprung mass.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My red 3 door arrives tomorrow and I just ordered 16x7 et40 Speedline Turini in grey. I'm going for that clio trophy vibe. It appears nobody has tried these wheels on an Up gti before so fingers crossed there are no clearance issues. Speedline said they will take the wheels back if there are any problems. I will fit Conti Premium 6 205/45/16.

The wheels are strong and light and I see it as an upgrade rather than a downgrade.

·
Registered
961 Posts
.... and the fins do cut that sideways tendency.... :)

EDIT - hold on though, on the "spoiler", the top surface looks a longer path than the bottom surface. You may get lift! It could be the world's only para-gliding Up! :)

Yes, we are wandering off "wheels". But there is still lockdown....

·
Registered
118 Posts
lol at the above, its ok with boards on the roof and doesn't seem to have any negative affect on the handling. Needs pushing into the wind a bit more though and the bars are noisy.

I used to carry a board on the top of my Elise all the time, and was driving hard cross country from the Berwick to Kelso most days for work with it on - I swear the handling of the car was completely unchanged by it - I still cant work out why not considering the huge surface area added that stretched almost to the boot lip.

Out for quick run to the tip today and came the longer way home, really liking the new set up, the tyres feel really progressive.

Also as above looking forward to seeing the Clio Cup look, I did see some on a similar theme and they looked cool.

Lastly, my Sparco Wheels are stamped OZ so must be made by Oz - everyday is a school day.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Oh and in other news - thats my Mums new house behind the car in the picture. The lady in the house next to the car...she also has a Red Up Gti!

·
Registered
961 Posts
Does the lady next door know you are secretly driving her GTi and pretending on forums that it's yours? Or is she in fact your mum? :).

·
Registered
118 Posts
So quick update on the wheels and tyres (not other GTi owners)

Drove the car East Lothian to Preston to Macclesfield yesterday (back today) including the epic Devils Beeftub road.
1) The ride on this car has been completely transformed over potholes, expansion joints, drains etc - at no point yesterday did I think "oh oh this is going to hurt" I just went over everything. This mean that in the really rough areas of the tub (and the road I use to join it) I was carrying much more speed - I even arrived at a couple of corners quicker than usual...

2) The handling has changed. Difficult to describe properly but the rear of the car has now come into play, you can actually feel the rear working and the back tyre digging in through fast corners.. I suspect now I could get it to lift off oversteer but the tub is not the road for that.. It does feel good though.

3) It has lost (yes lost) a tiny bit of directness at the front end, this is compensated by the whole chassis working better. This might be just a bit less rubber on the road but it may also and I suspect it is because I am running the pressures a bit high at the front. I left my gauge at home so I will leave them for today or might just do a quick manual squeeze and hiss before setting off later.

4) It got a bit wet going down the hill into Moffat and the rainsport 5s are epic in the wet. Amazing tyre - feels like dry grip with massive confidence on the hairpins that have the armo waiting to punish the first hint of understeer!

5) I seem to be noticing the lack of grunt from the engine this trip... not sure why but JBS stage 1 will defo be incoming over the summer and I think it will be perfect.

Very happy Up Owner

·
Registered
68 Posts
4) It got a bit wet going down the hill into Moffat and the rainsport 5s are epic in the wet. Amazing tyre - feels like dry grip with massive confidence on the hairpins
Excellent. I have a set of OZ Alleggerita's on order and the Rainsport 5's are looking most likely what I'll choose for the tyres. I loved the 3's a few years ago and was hoping that the 5's offered the same wet weather grip and from what I've been reading, seems like they do (y)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Excellent. I have a set of OZ Alleggerita's on order and the Rainsport 5's are looking most likely what I'll choose for the tyres. I loved the 3's a few years ago and was hoping that the 5's offered the same wet weather grip and from what I've been reading, seems like they do (y)
Just out of interest, without being too precise if you don't want to be... How much for the wheels?

·
Registered
52 Posts
So quick update on the wheels and tyres (not other GTi owners)

Drove the car East Lothian to Preston to Macclesfield yesterday (back today) including the epic Devils Beeftub road.
1) The ride on this car has been completely transformed over potholes, expansion joints, drains etc - at no point yesterday did I think "oh oh this is going to hurt" I just went over everything. This mean that in the really rough areas of the tub (and the road I use to join it) I was carrying much more speed - I even arrived at a couple of corners quicker than usual...

2) The handling has changed. Difficult to describe properly but the rear of the car has now come into play, you can actually feel the rear working and the back tyre digging in through fast corners.. I suspect now I could get it to lift off oversteer but the tub is not the road for that.. It does feel good though.

3) It has lost (yes lost) a tiny bit of directness at the front end, this is compensated by the whole chassis working better. This might be just a bit less rubber on the road but it may also and I suspect it is because I am running the pressures a bit high at the front. I left my gauge at home so I will leave them for today or might just do a quick manual squeeze and hiss before setting off later.

4) It got a bit wet going down the hill into Moffat and the rainsport 5s are epic in the wet. Amazing tyre - feels like dry grip with massive confidence on the hairpins that have the armo waiting to punish the first hint of understeer!

5) I seem to be noticing the lack of grunt from the engine this trip... not sure why but JBS stage 1 will defo be incoming over the summer and I think it will be perfect.

Very happy Up Owner
Ha. Small world (hate that phrase). I work in Macclesfield. Or at least I did prior to WFH for a year! Whereabouts did you end up there?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just out of interest, without being too precise if you don't want to be... How much for the wheels?
I had a bit of luck with my order. I paid £779 for R16 in Matt Graphite but that's £480 less than what they're currently priced at (£1259).

They're sold in a variety of different finishes and two options (Silver and Titanium) are about £300 cheaper than the rest. I ordered the Titanium using a 15% Ebay voucher code but then had a reply from the supplier saying they'd spoken to OZ and could no longer source the Titanium. They offered me the Silver wheels but I wasn't keen and declined so they kindly offered to supply the Matt Graphite for the agreed price which was a bit of a result. Having said that, they haven't arrived yet :LOL:

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had a bit of luck with my order. I paid £779 for R16 in Matt Graphite but that's £480 less than what they're currently priced at (£1259).

They're sold in a variety of different finishes and two options (Silver and Titanium) are about £300 cheaper than the rest. I ordered the Titanium using a 15% Ebay voucher code but then had a reply from the supplier saying they'd spoken to OZ and could no longer source the Titanium. They offered me the Silver wheels but I wasn't keen and declined so they kindly offered to supply the Matt Graphite for the agreed price which was a bit of a result. Having said that, they haven't arrived yet :LOL:
Sub £800 I can sort of tolerate for a wheel that looks that good (but not for anything else). North of a grand is a bit ropey.

I was only looking at 16s for a hypothetical winter tyre, but they look so nice I'd probably stick with them all year round. Or at least until I got bored!

Good result, definitely.

81 - 100 of 124 Posts